#1 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

Anyone have the free version of Easy Roads v3?

I've been told that the paid version has a few differences from version 2, including the ability to edit / move the road after it has been inserted into the terrain, but I've also heard that it may not completely jive with Unity 5.2. I was curious if the free version did this or if it was just something they only put in pro versions.

V2 is okay but I'm still very much on a should I / shouldn't I basis with using it....  in the end I end up using it mostly because it is a heck of a lot faster and looks better than splines, but I always seem to have recurring problems with gaps and junctions and getting it to sit naturally in the terrain.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#2 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

Yeah, same feelings here.  I am currently nearing completion on the cart paths of my current course, and EZ roads can definitely be a challenge.  I have huge sections on the front and back 9 where paths overlap, criss cross, and intersect.  Piecing everything together has been adventuresome at times.  But like you said..WAY better than drawing splines.  Not even sure which version I am using, just always glad when that part of the proceedings is DONE..LOL.

#3 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

Stingreye (who's designing South Hills Country Club) contacted me about errors he was getting with the latest paid version, 3.0.2, and was talking to the dev. I didn't have issues with the paid version 3.0 so supplied him with that and all was good but he was talking to the developer. Hopefully Stingreye will comment.

#4 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

It’s our version of unity. Basically above v3.0, it will error it when installing. Version 3.0 does not. You can then upgrade the DLLs afterwards which upgrades you to the latest version. After messing with it a bunch and messing up my cart paths a few times, I have mostly stuck with version 3.0.

The newer versions support dynamic prefabs meaning it will detect intersections and add appropriate intersections. However, currently it does NOT work well for cart paths. Developer said for our uses it would require “Y” connections for cart paths typically vs what you would see on most roads which are going to be 4 way connections or "T" connections. He is working on a "Y" connection he said which he thinks will work well for cart paths eventually.

I had had trouble when there are connections between paths when you allow easy roads to deform or smooth your terrain. I uncheck that part. So far my LIDAR seems to have captured the cart paths relatively smoothly so there isn’t a ton of work to do. Then when you overlap the roads it’s not too bad and works ok. If you do want easy roads to smooth and alter your terrain for the road, the work around is to split the road near the intersection. And make a small section where they combine not modify the terrain (hope that makes sense, let me know if not).

The biggest advantage of v3 pro I think are the following:
1) you do not need to delete the easy roads folder to compile, it appears v3 plays nice with course forge whereas v2 didn’t play nice and requires you to delet the way roads folder prior to compiling your course.
2) you do not need to finalize your road. You can build it and your course will compile just fine without finalizing the road.
3). You can have multiple roads and edit them, free version only allows one.

Some tips I have found:
1). Each click point sets that portion of the road to the elevation. More click points and the less likely you have areas where the road goes below or floats above the terrain. Where there is a large elevation change click the dots very close to each other.

2) create a default road type / setting and call it “Spline cart path” or something with Spline at the start. Crazy Corey gave me the tip and then you ball and golfer will sit on top of the cart path. Do it in the beginning and you won’t forget and have to redo it all.

3) Side objects are pretty cool by be careful. I added a speed tree hedge as a side object and my scene file became 2 GB!!!

Easy roads has a learning curve and can be maddening but it also can let you lay down your cart paths quickly and uniformly. I really want to figure out how to make the path more 3d / thicket. Developer said it’s possible but not out of the box. He said some instructions are in a Long unity forum thread but I haven’t found it yet (haven’t looked hard either though).

If I can think of more I will post about it. Easyroads was on sale a week ago for 50% off. I bet the developer would be interested in a discount if a few people are interested in it.

• oZZeus likes this

#5 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Matt I think the free version of 3.0 won’t make you finalize the road but you can only have 1 path then and unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to do all of the paths with one road. You could do the major portion of it and just have the smaller portions so you can edit them later. Depending on your course that might help a little.

I will try to create a quick video of how it lets you switch back and forth from edit mode and how you can compile the course. That way you can see if I am missing something or if something is off. It seems like that would be the most valuable part.

#6 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

it may sound obvious but here is quick clip showing where you can go back and edit.  

I have compile the course and the cart paths play as expected.  You do not need to finalize the road before compiling course from what I have seen and tested.

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for all these tips, especially some of the general ones that would apply regardless of what version I have.

I'm about to start putting paths down for my next release and this is good motivation.
  • Stingreye likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Huge point Stingreye you make about naming the Spline road,  that I overlooked for a while. When you name it Spline road the key is to capitalize the "S", that's what makes golfer and ball stay on top of path.

Mike even does it in his tut but he doesn't mention it and if your like me, you sometimes don't catch Huge things like that, it's good that we have a gr8 community of folks who will help out.

Works for structures too. ;)Makes the ball roll off the roof and not get stuck and also I name all my rocks Spline rocks. :)

• worrybirdie and Stingreye like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#9 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

OK I got a script we can run on our cart paths from the developer.  I don't really know vectors and 3 modelling well to know how to modify it yet to work for us. 

What does it do?

1) I think it fractionally raises the road

2) It ads a vector pointed down on both sides of the road/cart path.  This gives it a 3d feel vs the easy roads that tend to have a 2d feel and when viewed from the side when they are slightly above the terain it looks unnaturally paper thin. 

3) My hope is this can increase forgiveness of the height of the road as it is a pain sometimes to get the terrain to look right if you are not using easyroads built in terrain smoothing (which gave me other fits)).

4) It will not work if you use some of the connection prefabs which is why it is not currently officially supported in Easy Roads.  Developer said they are working on it for future versions.

Right now, it only works on roads that are 6 wide but I think by editing the parameters, you can do it for other widths.  I will update if I can figure it out (or if Shimonko who I consider the "Unity Whisperer" can work his magic, quick shout out for his height measurement tools if you haven't used them you really should try).

Script File

https://www.dropbox....IEditor.cs?dl=0

Before Script

Before%20Script.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....Script.JPG?dl=0

After Script

https://www.dropbox....script.JPG?dl=0

Location to copy script:
/Assets\EasyRoads3D\Editor

Video Showing the difference.

http://youtu.be/oThp3XBU6V8

#10 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

I just realized you are from Southern California.  Me too, I live near Raging waters  :D   The course I am working on is South Hills in West Covina.  

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Ahh small world I live in Banning just a few miles west of Palm Springs.

• Stingreye likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#12 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

using UnityEngine;
using UnityEditor;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using EasyRoads3Dv3;
using EasyRoads3Dv3Editor;

public class ERAPIEditor : ScriptableObject {

[MenuItem( "EasyRoads3D/Custom Road Shape" )]
	public static void   RefreshRoad() 
	{
		ERRoad road = EREditor.GetSelectedRoad();

if(road != null){

List<Vector2> shape = new List<Vector2>();
			List<float> uv = new List<float>();
			List<bool> tris = new List<bool>();

shape.Add(new Vector2(3f,0f));
			uv.Add(1f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(2.9f,0.05f));
			uv.Add(0.99f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(0f,0.1f));
			uv.Add(0.5f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(-2.9f,0.05f));
			uv.Add(0.01f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(-3f,0f));
			uv.Add(0f);
			tris.Add(true);

road.roadScript.roadShape = new List<Vector2>(shape);
			road.roadScript.roadShapeUVs = new List<float>(uv);
			road.roadScript.doConnectionTri = new List<bool>(tris);

road.roadScript.isCustomRoad = true;

foreach(ERMarkerExt m in road.roadScript.markersExt){
				m.roadShape = new List<Vector2>(shape);
			}

road.Refresh();

}else{
			Debug.Log("Please select a road object first");
		}
		Debug.Log("done");
	}

}

Thats the script.  You can see the variables in how it adds the Vector2. 

EDIT: also, I think the file I posted has the comments removed, but you need to remove the comments before using

EasyRoads3Dv3;

I removed them in the script above.

EDIT2:  Ok with the help of Shimonko,  he helped me understand the script.

So with the script above the following is the graphic Shimonko gave me to help understand the road.

unknown.png

And here is a sketchup I did to show how the variables are linked,  its not pretty but helps me understand it.

unknown.png

And then even with that great explanation and thinking I understood it, I still managed to mess it up but Shimonko was patient and helped me with it.

Here is the modified code that will work for cart paths that are 3 wide like mine.

using UnityEngine;
using UnityEditor;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using EasyRoads3Dv3;

public class ERAPIEditor : ScriptableObject {

[MenuItem( "EasyRoads3D/Custom Road Shape" )]
	public static void   RefreshRoad() 
	{
		ERRoad road = EREditor.GetSelectedRoad();

if(road != null){

List<Vector2> shape = new List<Vector2>();
			List<float> uv = new List<float>();
			List<bool> tris = new List<bool>();

shape.Add(new Vector2(1.5f,0f));
			uv.Add(1f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(1.4f,0.1f));
			uv.Add(0.99f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(0f,0.1f));
			uv.Add(0.5f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(-1.4f,0.1f));
			uv.Add(0.01f);
			tris.Add(true);

shape.Add(new Vector2(-1.5f,0f));
			uv.Add(0f);
			tris.Add(true);

road.roadScript.roadShape = new List<Vector2>(shape);
			road.roadScript.roadShapeUVs = new List<float>(uv);
			road.roadScript.doConnectionTri = new List<bool>(tris);

road.roadScript.isCustomRoad = true;

foreach(ERMarkerExt m in road.roadScript.markersExt){
				m.roadShape = new List<Vector2>(shape);
			}

road.Refresh();

}else{
			Debug.Log("Please select a road object first");
		}
		Debug.Log("done");
	}

}

I personally like the thicker road look and it should provide more forgiveness from floating roads that can happen with EasyRoads.

Some more pics: path with spline off:

unknown.png

Path with spline on:

unknown.png

A great view of what this script actually does (you will notice shimonko's drawing mimics this).

unknown.png

NOTE: I think it causes trouble with pefab connnections, so depending on how you do your connections (I don't use connectors yet).

Matt, I think this will work with free version of v3.0.  I don't see why it wouldn't.  Let me know if you have any questions. Please note I am still a rookie with unity, CF, and easyroads.

#13 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Well I contacted them to figure out how to get my copy of version 3.0 because when I import the pro version to unity it's 3.1.1

I am still working on Hazeltine National slowly but now just mainly need to add a few things yet besides the cartpaths. The game is still not perfect but it's a heck of a lot funner than -15 under THE GOLF CLUB 2 and the 2019 version is not any better since I tried the beta version. This game has one of the best designers so the 7 of us came back to playing JNPG, how many design I don't know but at least two of us are. If and when we ever release a course I have no idea though..lol

I wanted to wait till JNPG 2 came out because I wanted to use the Speedtree3d grass Mike was showing us but even though they say they are working on it, knowing they sold the game to TrackMan I only believe they care about the simulator and won't release a PC version for us so I might as well try to release this version.

One things is for sure, all of us 6-7 play every Friday night and have been for many, many years and JNPG network plays sucks donkey. Such lag sometimes is just pitiful. Frame rates are sky high but yet the lag after someone hits a ball is unbearable. 

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

While putting down all my cart paths on Hazeltine everything was working out fine and it seemed to be dropping the path correctly but maybe I didn't check to good in an area because I noticed last night while wanting to compile I heard from this thread we need to delete the ezroads folder. I did finalize all my cart paths first and then deleted the ezroads folder and all my textures left and it was all pink, this was because I had my cart path cement texture in the ezroads folder where they have all there road materials. I put the file in another folder and got them back by using a standard shader but some of my paths were now under the elevations. I am not sure if this happened when I deleted the ezroads folder or if it just didn't drop correctly when I hit the 3rd button that levels the ground under the texture so it lays flat. Either way I did re-import ezroads again and I did compile with it and it worked fine. I am only using version 2.5 something of EZROADS Pro that I bought because I can't find version 3.0.

Pro is nice because yes you can re-edit anything as long as you haven't finalized, I will still need to delete a few of the finalized ezroad cart paths and redo them to see if I can keep it looking the way it should and i'm going to leave the folder in because it compiles fine on my course with the second version.

Hazeltine is almost done now, just have a few bushes to put by the clubhouse and some texture blending along with a fence on the 5th hole.

• xooze likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

While putting down all my cart paths on Hazeltine everything was working out fine and it seemed to be dropping the path correctly but maybe I didn't check to good in an area because I noticed last night while wanting to compile I heard from this thread we need to delete the ezroads folder. I did finalize all my cart paths first and then deleted the ezroads folder and all my textures left and it was all pink, this was because I had my cart path cement texture in the ezroads folder where they have all there road materials. I put the file in another folder and got them back by using a standard shader but some of my paths were now under the elevations. I am not sure if this happened when I deleted the ezroads folder or if it just didn't drop correctly when I hit the 3rd button that levels the ground under the texture so it lays flat. Either way I did re-import ezroads again and I did compile with it and it worked fine. I am only using version 2.5 something of EZROADS Pro that I bought because I can't find version 3.0.

Pro is nice because yes you can re-edit anything as long as you haven't finalized, I will still need to delete a few of the finalized ezroad cart paths and redo them to see if I can keep it looking the way it should and i'm going to leave the folder in because it compiles fine on my course with the second version.

Hazeltine is almost done now, just have a few bushes to put by the clubhouse and some texture blending along with a fence on the 5th hole.

You paths can all be selected and raised up .15m to avoid the terrain 'popping' when using a unity standard shader.

Easyroads uses a custom shader which draws on top of the unity terrain but this has the unfortunate effect of sometimes drawing over the top of billboarded trees and water in the distance. 

• Joe Habiger likes this

#16 marauders

marauders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:14 AM

Hello, I'm finishing my first course and trying to use the Easy Roads script described here: http://www.perfectpa...-3/#entry158644

Realized that I'm using the paid version of Easy Roads v.2.5. I need 3.0, but of course the current download on the paid versions is 3.1.1, which doesn't work for Unity 5.2.3.

Would anyone happen to have a copy of version 3.0 that I can use? I can send you evidence of my 2.5 license so that you're confident I've purchased it and supported the developer.

Thanks,
Matt

#17 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:05 PM

The Free version of Easyroads is more than enough

for a golf course, especially when you can take the road meshes into Blender (also free),

and connect and plump them as per DPR's videos. Just my opinion of course, but

why pay for something that is only used to bounce a golfball off of? Have I missed something?

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#18 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

Matt I think the free version of 3.0 won’t make you finalize the road but you can only have 1 path then...

In Mike's tutorial he makes at least two roads, and in a practice course I've been swapping out the road material texture to make different looking roads...so what does 'you can only have 1 path' mean?  Something to do with finalizing?  Because Mike doesn't go into that...

#19 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:06 AM

I'm doing the Blender cart paths and so far, I'm digging them.

Now mind you, the powers that be, I hope, are working on pieces for a "Y" but for now, these babies stick right to the ground and join seamlessly.

Just throwing that out there.

Peace

1dy4FHv.png

• Keith likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#20 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

In Mike's tutorial he makes at least two roads, and in a practice course I've been swapping out the road material texture to make different looking roads...so what does 'you can only have 1 path' mean? Something to do with finalizing? Because Mike doesn't go into that...

I can try to show later but with the paid version you don’t have to finalize your roads and can have as many as you want and swap them back to edit mode and go back and tweak them. I want to try the DP method next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users