13 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

Here's something I've been fiddling with lately.  

This free asset: 

https://assetstore.u...tion-lite-47726

contains several mountainous terrains that are pre-textured.  

I drag one of the low-res terrains into a scene and adjust the terrain size and height.  

Increasing the terrain size along with lowering the height makes those sharp mountain peaks turn into nice rolling hills.   It's worth looking at each one to see how it will match with your existing terrain

Then I swap out the 4 textures on the outer terrain with several from my original terrain.  The terrains are already textured which gives a nice start that you can work from.   

From there you can adjust anything you want.  This process takes about 10 minutes and I think the results are nice for the time saved.  

Before and after with a few quick adjustments

PNgfgRx.jpg

Looks fairly natural even with no sculpting or painting adjustments yet. 

6m6dId0.jpg

Before and after on a hole that was close to the edge of the terrain.  

fPcx3w7.jpg

After: 

n9gCoy9.jpg

Fix the texturing, smooth a few peaks, add some trees and I think it will turn out ok.  

• M Rose, Acrilix, Justin9926 and 1 other like this

#2 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

To clarify further these are the steps I've shown above:

Go into the terrain 1 folder and there will be high, med and low res terrains. Drag the low res terrain out into your scene

Then in the inspector for that terrain change the dimensions from 2500x 2500 to something bigger, maybe 3500x3500 and lower the terrain height down to 400 or something lower. You will notice the peaks change to softer hills and once you switch out the textures it creates a nice beginning outer terrain. Then you can shape it from there to fit what you want

Also raise the pixel error on the outer terrain very high. This saves triangles so it won't affect the performance of your course.

I would also recommend renaming this outer terrain something very obvious and different from your regular terrain to avoid any confusion as to which terrain you are editing. DO NOT rename your course terrain.

I prefer OUTERTERRAIN all caps and I move it to the bottom of the inspector list, as far away from my original course terrain as possible.

You don't want to accidentally fool with the inspector settings of your course terrain.

#3 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

Thanksfor this. I did come across it a couple of weeks ago and installed it but when I drag a terrain into a scene I just get the circle with a diagonal line through it. Any ideas ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#4 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

When you drag it in, drop it in the outer white area not directly on the existing terrain or high above it. If you try to drop it on the existing terrain it won't work.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#5 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Larry. I got the new terrain in and it sits above the existing terrain. When I draw a fairway spline on the new terrain I see the outline but when I click on build splines no texture appears.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#6 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Clubcaptain,

This is for adding an "almost ready" second terrain to your scene to give a sense of depth to the surrounding areas. You can raise and lower the second terrain to fit your course terrain. You will probably need to do some sculpting to make it fit around the outside of your particular course.

Splines are only drawn on the original course terrain.

You could use these already textured terrains to start a course but it must be the first terrain in your scene. CF only recognizes the first terrain as the "working" course terrain. I hope that makes sense

#7 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

Bortimus,  have redone a 2nd terrain a ton of times, and struggling to make it look good.  This looks awesome!  Are you just using the free version?

#8 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

Bortimus, have redone a 2nd terrain a ton of times, and struggling to make it look good. This looks awesome! Are you just using the free version?

Yes the free version with 5 terrains included.
  • Stingreye likes this

#9 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

It looked awful on my system because the textures that came with the app look awful. Then the problem I had was that when substituting my own textures and using the original names the areas covered by those textures came out looking like sand.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#10 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

It looked awful on my system because the textures that came with the app look awful. Then the problem I had was that when substituting my own textures and using the original names the areas covered by those textures came out looking like sand.

Did you experiment with the tiling size of the textures?  Or using other textures that look better from a distance?   

You will still need to do some texture painting to match the look and feel of your course.  

#11 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

Did you experiment with the tiling size of the textures?  Or using other textures that look better from a distance? 

You will still need to do some texture painting to match the look and feel of your course.  

As I said I used my own textures and as I used the same size textures and the same file type I didn't think I needed to change anything else. I wouldn't know why that would have to happen  ?

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#12 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

I’m still trying to figure this stuff out so whatever this is worth..
You could try using textures that look more like “blotchy nature” (for lack of a better term).

At those long distances we can’t really see any details, so using something that can hide tiling and look like random organic matter/rough terrain can be effective. A regular grass texture doesn’t do much good when viewed so far away.

K11 does this quite well on some of his courses.

#13 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:24 AM

Try odd tiling sizes as well. In this image, I'm using "groundMJ1" in the distance tiled at 150x150. With the way the detail gets resolved at a distance, it just looks like dirt and grass. Add some trees to it and you've got something semi-believable. Up close, it would look terrible but several hundred yards or meters away, I think that it works.

Ezf6OIh.jpg

• RobC likes this

#14 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:03 AM

I am dropping by to say thanks to bortimus.  I grabbed the Realistic Terrain Collection LITE asset and went to work.  In less than 30 minutes I had a GREAT solution to my problem (big white emptiness behind green no 4.).

I followed exactly what bortimus outlined and I took a couple pics to show the improvement.

My problem:

i-5RRsLFn-X3.jpg

Because the course I am building is in Eastern, NC, the LIDAR yielded a relatively flat terrain.  So, I started by making one edge of the OUTERTERRAIN the exact same height the whole way across the edge.  I selected a height of 7 and I worked my way down the edge with a big brush and high opacity (OUTERTERRAIN on right):

i-jKsnTBr-X2.jpg

I then butted it up to my original terrain and painted/leveled its matching edge to the same height.  This time I used a smaller brush, but still used a high opacity.  This part was rewarding because it was like zipping a zipper. It went very quickly and looked perfect after one pass.  Before starting down the edge it did take few tries to get the height right.  I probably could have matched the height quicker if I had just calculated it, but it still happened fairly quickly.

i-M6rwPGP-X2.jpg

I grabbed a texture to show how well it looks when both sides are painted the same:

OUTERTERRAIN side:

i-5zW9CQt-X2.jpg

Original terrain side:

i-RSXSdtM-X2.jpg

I will have to spend some time getting the rest of the OUTERTERRAIN to look more like the original terrain (texture and height), but that shouldn't take any longer than it did to get it lined up and zipped in.

This is going to look 1000X better than a big white void after the green. Thank you!

EDIT:

Added an in game screen:

i-vjrMVcw-X4.jpg

• Keith likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users