#1 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:03 AM

What causes a course to have high FPS is it a combination of everything in the course including objects such as big houses and bridges or something or is it trees or do lots of grasses cause it to be high. 

Is there a known list of what causes the most such as 

Grasses

Trees 

Objects 

Meshes  Fairways, bunkers, greens, tees, 

Also how do I minimize FPS 

Thanks 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#2 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:36 AM

Also how do I minimize FPS 

Thanks 

My laptop can handle 80% of the courses with all sliders maxed, but every now and then I'll get a course that's pretty demanding for my laptop. Adjusting the "Camera View Distance" and the "Shadow Distance" can make a big difference, and it really doesn't look that bad. Here's a couple of "before and after" screenies. Hope that helps... :)

BEFORE

SCIRXsc.jpg

zf3PB4J.jpg

AFTER (almost doubled fps!)

X2tuLGS.jpg

0viOoAU.jpg

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D (Windows 11)

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#3 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Draw calls kill frames.   So, lots of items in the camera's view causes lots of draw calls.  This includes both textures and vertices (meshes).  So, if you have a long narrow course and you can look from one end to the other, you have a great opportunity for low FPS.  You can use LOD and other tricks to help reduce draw calls.  The fewer draw calls you have, the higher the frame rate.

• Jugador likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#4 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

This includes both textures and vertices (meshes).  

Hmmmm...that probably explains why my fps dropped on a course I'm screwing up, (uhm, I mean working on).  :D

I textured all the outside image... :huh:

In case anyone's interested, I tweaked the settings a little more and bumped it up to 45 fps...still doesn't look to bad.  <_<

BTW...The tweaking seems to work best if I slide everything to the left, load the course, then start tweaking from there, as opposed to having everything slid to the right, and starting from there.  <_<

a05goCK.jpg

AnRHyts.jpg

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#5 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:21 AM

Hmmmm...that probably explains why my fps dropped on a course I'm screwing up, (uhm, I mean working on). :D
I textured all the outside image... :huh:
In case anyone's interested, I tweaked the settings a little more and bumped it up to 45 fps...still doesn't look to bad. <_<
BTW...The tweaking seems to work best if I slide everything to the left, load the course, then start tweaking from there, as opposed to having everything slid to the right, and starting from there. <_<
a05goCK.jpg
AnRHyts.jpg

Most of the time it too tense of tree planting (no gpu instancing on our ancient version of unity) or bringing in a non speed tree asset that has 2 trillion triangles for most courses. Water is also a possibility especially reflective water.

#6 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:54 AM

...asset that has 2 trillion triangles . 

lol...

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#7 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

As far as what causes high frame rates. That's due to a designer not planting enough.

Z5hGoRp.gif

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#8 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:43 AM

Draw calls kill frames.   So, lots of items in the camera's view causes lots of draw calls.  This includes both textures and vertices (meshes).  So, if you have a long narrow course and you can look from one end to the other, you have a great opportunity for low FPS.  You can use LOD and other tricks to help reduce draw calls.  The fewer draw calls you have, the higher the frame rate.

Yeah I was leaning towards when one makes a course so its a combination of things what is LOD ??  But anyway I will limit the generation of draw calls. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#9 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:24 AM

I was leaning towards when one makes a course...

Yeah, it sort of dawned on me after I had made my second post...lol

Anyway, I'm kind of glad I was thinking you were thinking of something else, I've had some fun tinkering around with the sliders. 

I get much better fps on The Old Course, now. The only thing missing is the tree line way off on the horizon, but picked up 16 fps. A huge difference in smoothness from 23 to 39!  (maybe something to think about when we are planting trees in course forge?) I think a lot of the designers use the 2D trees to fill in background, also. 

3Jd0Fp9.jpg

RYpmDxm.jpg

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#10 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

Having dynamic skies off will give you better frame rates also
  • Jugador and Justin9926 like this

#11 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:59 AM

I will usually gain roughly 7 to 8 FPS with Dynamics skies turned off.

• Jugador likes this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users