Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

tragedy is you guys are still in here keeping this thread alive. :huh:

• fungolfer likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#22 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Crow357 joined me for my OGT simulator tour round 2 last night at Bethpage Black.  He was TP RTSC and I was on simulator of course.  6400 yards.  I shot +2 and he shot -7.  I got beat but we had a lot of fun.  Like in real golf, I was playing the course and trying to get a good finish for FedEx points.  JNPG is the only golf sim that allows this to happen.   :)

This is why I don't understand the discontent as there are so many options available how do you get bored with the game itself and with all the courses.  If you get tired of playing events you can do it as you guys did or you can change your swing and try RTS or MS and if you play those 3C so why is the game stale and really what is so terribly wrong with it that some cant play it.  Again I think some are looking for the perfect Video game and again that wont happen and this game can be played in its current state for years for all we know.  One of these days when I get a chance I have to play a Tournament round against a simulator round as that has to be pretty cool just don't have the time right now during the week and I don't play on weekends.  Retirement is getting closer.  LOL.

• zmax - sim likes this

#23 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

This is why I don't understand the discontent as there are so many options available how do you get bored with the game itself and with all the courses. If you get tired of playing events you can do it as you guys did or you can change your swing and try RTS or MS and if you play those 3C so why is the game stale and really what is so terribly wrong with it that some cant play it.

I'm not sure if you are genuinely interested in this as a discussion point or not, but I'll just add a thought for me personally.

It's just sort of different hopes/expectations for a "game" I guess.

1.  I'm not interested in trying out multiple swing types.  I've been at this for decades.  I'm in it for the golf and not the various swing types as I've tried most all of them at some point, some extensively, etc.

2.  I find the atmosphere in PG totally bizarre.  Don't get me wrong - the courses can look very nice in spots, but they are also devoid of basically any life.  It's a small thing to some I'm sure, but to me it feels weird.  No other people.  No carts.  No cars moving.  Often times not even much sound (and sometimes it's over done and crazy with the sound).  It just feels like an abandoned planet where I'm all alone and for some reason playing golf..

3.  There's no "game" to this game.  That's ok for many.  I totally get that.  Some just want the best simulation of golf and anything beyond that is "whatever" and I fully appreciate that.  To me though, for longevity, it becomes a bummer there's no fleshed out career mode built into the game.  I don't want to pay for OGT (and didn't find it that compelling when I did it and it was free - just being honest) and PGLS (spelling?) - I saw that site and just sort of was uninterested.  Felt like 2002 to me (again - no offense meant - just speaking honestly).  So beyond me playing my nightly 2 rounds with my uncle, I'm just not even compelled to ever even launch the game.

I'm sorry if some think I don't "get it" or I'm not being fair - I'm just being honest as I look at the game from the standpoint of a gamer who is used to having something to do and work towards and just a more complete offering, out of the box, especially at this point in the game's life.

This is the main reason I've been playing a ton of TW14.

It's just plain "fun".  

There are awesome courses, great environments, built in fun competition and career and stats and loads of ways to tweak your golfer and build him up...  It's just plain fun to be working the 4 rounds, and hearing the roars as you work to stay with the field down the stretch.

So - I enjoy that while I hope PG2 might come and bring more...or maybe it'll be TGC 2019 - I have no clue..

I mainly find myself wishing there was still a modern EA title being developed so I could truly get the best of both, but TW14 is pretty damned good still even today, so that's nice at least..

• DivotMaker likes this

#24 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:45 AM

This is the main reason I've been playing a ton of TW14.

It's just plain "fun".  

This is the main reason that I’ve been playing TGC2 over JNPG....it’s just plain “fun”.

I find that TGC2 is not a simulation of golf just like MLB The Show is not a simulation of baseball. However, as long as a sports game has enough features that are authentic to the game it represents it will be the game that I play the most.

-MERACE
  • scajjr29, DivotMaker, RobV and 1 other like this

#25 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:03 AM

Yep. Totally get it Merace
Makes total sense.

#26 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

the real tragedy is, that adults are acting like little kids here most of the time. I want this, I want that, are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? Are we? LMFAO!

• Harald and scoops100 like this

Who cares...

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

the real tragedy is, that adults are acting like little kids here most of the time. I want this, I want that, are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? Are we? LMFAO!

That feels rather hyperbolic

The forum is a passionate group that wants nothing but the best for the franchise and is mainly worried it won't continue for PC users.

It's mostly just wanting some news to cling to and be excited about.

#28 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:51 AM

I bet it is mý bad english, so sorry for my missunderstanding...

Who cares...

#29 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

I understand entirely that some people love it for what it is right now, a wonderful simulation of golf without any frills that works superbly on simulator and does a great job generally on PC but I'm entirely with Buck here.   There isn't enough in it currently to keep me playing just for playing sake.  I need a little more to be put into the offline experience in terms of stats (I know you can see stuff online if you visit external websites) and a career mode or some sense of playing for a reason.  Even something as simple as a handicap tracker that kept a note of my handicap within the game itself so that I an play against that but it's not there.

I can live with the slightly suspect mo-cap, lack of 3d grass and lack of immersion caused by the absence of any life outside of a few birds but there hasn't been enough to keep me invested in it.  That's without the complete lack of information from the former or current owners who should be the very people who care most (I'm sure they probably but the gener; populace isn't shown or told).

I'm really not bashing it because what is knocked by some is loved by many, but Ted and others here are getting a pretty rough reception for their opinions and ones that they are not alone in having.

I'll keep checking back in regularly in the hope the devs (whoever they may be) might throw out some crumbs of information to pique my interest again to the point where I might reinstall.

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#30 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

As you get older you go back to being a child  :rolleyes: 

• axe360, fungolfer and RobV like this

#31 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Wow,..I find it hard to believe this real tragedy topic.

we wouldn’t have this fabulous simulation and course forge program if it weren’t for Mike J and Andrew jones. I understand that everyone wants more, but remember that we wouldn’t have anything
if these guys didn’t take their expertise from the modding and course designing of Links 2003 and bring it to the next level.

Ive seen it all take place when Mike told me what he had in mind for the next step in computer golf gaming.  Its a fabulous program.  The game engine and ball physics are the best.  The game interface, multiplayer, single player, game options give  plenty of entertainment.  I haven’t seen any issues with multiplayer

And the course designer, unity, course forge….guys…once you learn this program it is simply the best.  What can be done is nothing short of astounding.
 Its never been easier for these real life courses to be churned out, and one can also just create their own course.  

Take it from someone who took Links 2003 to crazy levels,..this design program is incredible.

Ok,..so we don’t have a lefty or a few more anis.  But this is a solid solid golf simulation.  And if you just watched the Valspar tourney, the flybys and ball tracing is the best Ive seen on TV.  All perfect Parallel .  

Trust me when I say that when these guys are ready, upgrades will happen.

Dr.  Rob

• Mike Jones, JoeF, Tresclub and 12 others like this

#32 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

Well said Dr. Rob.

#33 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

The game engine and ball physics are the best.  The game interface, multiplayer, single player, game options give  plenty of entertainment.  I haven’t seen any issues with multiplayer

What do you mean when you say "the game engine"?
Are you referring to graphics?

#34 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

I need a little more to be put into the offline experience in terms of stats (I know you can see stuff online if you visit external websites) and a career mode or some sense of playing for a reason. Even something as simple as a handicap tracker that kept a note of my handicap within the game itself so that I an play against that but it's not there.

Built in stats would really be nice - Totally agree.

#35 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

What do you mean when you say "the game engine"?
Are you referring to graphics?

Beats me,..whatever makes the ball thingy go up in the air to hit the green thingy

All I know is that it looks like real golf
  • Mike Jones and RobC like this

#36 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:29 PM

Beats me,..whatever makes the ball thingy go up in the air to hit the green thingy

All I know is that it looks like real golf

Thx - appreciate the reply.

Do you feel that any of us have valid criticisms regarding the missing "game" elements?

And honestly perhaps "criticism" is even too strong and it's rather just explanations for why the game doesn't keep some of us, not all of us, coming back for more.  

I think we were really just trying to directly respond to Greensboronclion

Do you find any of the thoughts from myself, remers or MERACE in this thread valid and fair?

#37 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:09 AM

Do you feel that any of us have valid criticisms regarding the missing "game" elements?

And honestly perhaps "criticism" is even too strong and it's rather just explanations for why the game doesn't keep some of us, not all of us, coming back for more.  

Do you find any of the thoughts from myself, remers or MERACE in this thread valid and fair?

I answered by PM and anytime anybody feels they need to respond and be critical of one of my posts please do as that is what America is all about.  I want the same as all that want all the bells and whistles but I am also satisfied with the game as it is now and have no problem playing it and letting people know I play it and feel that way.  I thought what Dr Rob said was well said and that is not a slap at anybody else just my opinion.  The purpose of a community is to debate and if you cant take the heat in the kitchen get out of it and I saw the post you deleted and had no problem with it nor would I have been upset if it still was on here the way it was wrote.  We are not shooting each other we are debating and all debate is good.  Now quit complaining and go play so golf and chill out.  lol

• zmax - sim likes this

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the replies Greens

Yeah, I did delete it (and sent it via PM).
I just thought it was more appropriate for PM ultimately.

The purpose of a community is to debate

We are not shooting each other we are debating and all debate is good.

I fully agree!

I hope I can count on you to defend those principles the next time we have someone trying to shut down a thread or conversation on the forum simply because they personally don't care for it.

(happens here a bit too often - today in fact)

• Greensboronclion likes this

#39 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

I have never been in favor of closing threads down as free speech is what America is about.

#40 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

I haven’t read all the posts in this thread, just scanned a few. My feelings about the missing game elements? Sure, absolutely. Who wouldn’t want more stuff?

My list.

A few more anis with different swings
2 click swing...boy I miss that the most
Crowds
Tournament objects
Big time multiplayer with players all over the course. Example is seeing a group play a different hole or waiting for a foursome to putt out before hitting up. Rooms with 32 or 64 players at a time all over the course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users