118 replies to this topic

#41 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:09 AM

I'm not sure if you are genuinely interested in this as a discussion point or not, but I'll just add a thought for me personally.

It's just sort of different hopes/expectations for a "game" I guess.

1.  I'm not interested in trying out multiple swing types.  I've been at this for decades.  I'm in it for the golf and not the various swing types as I've tried most all of them at some point, some extensively, etc.

2.  I find the atmosphere in PG totally bizarre.  Don't get me wrong - the courses can look very nice in spots, but they are also devoid of basically any life.  It's a small thing to some I'm sure, but to me it feels weird.  No other people.  No carts.  No cars moving.  Often times not even much sound (and sometimes it's over done and crazy with the sound).  It just feels like an abandoned planet where I'm all alone and for some reason playing golf..

3.  There's no "game" to this game.  That's ok for many.  I totally get that.  Some just want the best simulation of golf and anything beyond that is "whatever" and I fully appreciate that.  To me though, for longevity, it becomes a bummer there's no fleshed out career mode built into the game.  I don't want to pay for OGT (and didn't find it that compelling when I did it and it was free - just being honest) and PGLS (spelling?) - I saw that site and just sort of was uninterested.  Felt like 2002 to me (again - no offense meant - just speaking honestly).  So beyond me playing my nightly 2 rounds with my uncle, I'm just not even compelled to ever even launch the game.

I'm sorry if some think I don't "get it" or I'm not being fair - I'm just being honest as I look at the game from the standpoint of a gamer who is used to having something to do and work towards and just a more complete offering, out of the box, especially at this point in the game's life.

This is the main reason I've been playing a ton of TW14.
It's just plain "fun".  

There are awesome courses, great environments, built in fun competition and career and stats and loads of ways to tweak your golfer and build him up...  It's just plain fun to be working the 4 rounds, and hearing the roars as you work to stay with the field down the stretch.

So - I enjoy that while I hope PG2 might come and bring more...or maybe it'll be TGC 2019 - I have no clue..

I mainly find myself wishing there was still a modern EA title being developed so I could truly get the best of both, but TW14 is pretty damned good still even today, so that's nice at least..

I can certainly see where you're coming from. I find JNPG a bit dull when playing with a joystick or mouse and prefer TGC2 because it just is more fun to play career mode and even to have an announcer.
On the other hand, I love it playing in the simulator. Doesn't get any better than this software when you're using the real clubs.

#42 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:13 AM

On the other hand, I love it playing in the simulator. Doesn't get any better than this software when you're using the real clubs.

I have definitely been getting the feeling that the Sim w/ PG is an entire level that the normal PC users likely won't ever fully understand, myself included.

Sounds very cool 

#43 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:18 AM

I have definitely been getting the feeling that the Sim w/ PG is an entire level that the normal PC users likely won't ever fully understand, myself included.

Sounds very cool

It depends, have you ever thrown your controller through the wall like I have my clubs after a shank? Then you'll know how I feel playing in the simulator lol. Honestly, once pg2 comes with the upgraded graphics and some minor fixes from JNPG 1 it's going to be unrivaled most likely in the SIM software world.

#44 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:26 AM

Damn. That could get expensive

#45 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

Damn. That could get expensive

But to a true gamer like you, what’s a few thousand bucks.
Richard

Posted Image

#46 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

All the posts about PC and simulator...  I really do hope PG2 comes to the Xbox as I do not plan on upgrading my PC machine any time soon.  It works perfectly fine for the stuff/gaming I do on it now, so fingers crossed for Xbox port!  

#47 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

For it to be dull with a controller it would have to be easy to master..it's not,  you need to be playing TP with a controller for as long as i have because just when you think you have mastered it,  its gone again..sorry cannot agree.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#48 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the replies Greens

Yeah, I did delete it (and sent it via PM).
I just thought it was more appropriate for PM ultimately.

I fully agree!

I hope I can count on you to defend those principles the next time we have someone trying to shut down a thread or conversation on the forum simply because they personally don't care for it.

(happens here a bit too often - today in fact)

Sort of like they just shut down my ball thread on the Calibur?  There was nothing wrong with that thread the last time I looked and now its gone and that is just not right.

#49 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

Sort of like they just shut down my ball thread on the Calibur? There was nothing wrong with that thread the last time I looked and now its gone and that is just not right.

You are correct. It’s been reinstated.
Richard

Posted Image

#50 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:44 PM

Just an FYI, I didn't delete anything.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#51 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

Just an FYI, I didn't delete anything.

No Crow you did not. I accidentally hide the topic rather than deleting a post. I reinstated the topic and cleaned it.
Richard

Posted Image

#52 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Sounds very cool 

hi buck, there are lotsa golfcenters where you can try that out...do try it atleast once.....

#53 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

The real tragedy in this whole affair is that there will be no more work done on PG1.

We've had a Clayton's announcement and I have a horrible feeling that there will not be a PG2 but after all these years of asking for stuff for PG1 and various bugs to be fixed and all the other things that should have been worked on (UI etc) we will never see a real PG1.

It's sort of like when John Lennon was killed and we'll never see the Beatles back together.

Ted was right...

#54 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

The real PG1 would have been fabulous. They got so close.

I was howled down for saying it was a tragedy. Fair enough.

It was simply a disaster.

And the Beatles reference isn't right - it's more like The Carpenters when Karen went. (Sorry Kablammo)

• Buck and Greensboronclion like this

#55 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

The real PG1 would have been fabulous. They got so close.

I was howled down for saying it was a tragedy. Fair enough.

It was simply a disaster.

And the Beatles reference isn't right - it's more like The Carpenters when Karen went. (Sorry Kablammo)

It’s a funny thing… The howling down.

True evangelists of platforms never want to believe the truth even when it’s right in front of them.

The TGC crowd over on the HB forums has been in the same pickle the last year…

...With the realists being ahead of the curve and everybody else finally starting to come to the realization that it’s probably over and they should’ve known that a long time ago with the data in front of them. 

• Greensboronclion likes this

#56 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

It really would be nice to see someone come out with a new golf game with superior graphics, great avatars, I remember seeing a golf game years ago where the golfer actually looked human and walked up to the ball before he got ready to swing. I don't remember what it was though. I only saw it once at a friends house. It's probably too much to wish EA Sports would jump back into the game.

• Buck likes this

#57 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

It's probably too much to wish EA Sports would jump back into the game.

It may be our best hope for a complete game experience, as they are one of the few with the budget. 

I really hope they run with the work that was already done for Rory, perhaps for the upcoming next gen consoles. 

If TW14 had been backward compatible on the PS4/XB1, I’m fairly confident it would still be getting played in larger numbers than PG and TGC put together. 

#58 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

Huge Asian market from my perception.

I'm watching an Australian tourney which has men and women comps playing the same course at the same time. Predominantly South Koreans and Chinese at the top of the women's leader board and plenty in the men's as well. Add Japanese, Thai etc. and that is huge numbers. They must have high profiles in their native countries.

Maybe that's where the golf gaming development will come from. The Brothers Grim were too parochial in their strategies I believe. But as long as they are happy. Pfff

On another thing. I watched an Esports golf tournament where they used some ultra cartoony game that was pathetic. They used some sort of trackball as the controller. Dreadful gameplay but it was televised and hyped. Imagine a full-on PG2 in that sphere. But the Brothers Grim sold out and missed becoming kings of the world. Are they happy?

#59 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

It really would be nice to see someone come out with a new golf game with superior graphics, great avatars, I remember seeing a golf game years ago where the golfer actually looked human and walked up to the ball before he got ready to swing. I don't remember what it was though. I only saw it once at a friends house. It's probably too much to wish EA Sports would jump back into the game.

We all need to take a deep breath and relax. 

PG came about through a small group of players from a 3rd party site of (Links 2003).  And TGC was created by ex tiger woods folks.   So I can say for sure a small Indie Developer or 3rd party site such as OGT  (Now SGT) and PGLS is our next best hope to carry on a golfing sim/game if PG or TGC shutter the doors.    We, myself included are overly demanding consumers for a realistic Golf Sim/game.  We demand much in a short period of time, are never happy with what we have,  and push the envelope as far as possible.   LOL!   Lets keep the spark alive in our community and encourage our developers while continuing to ride the bus on this journey.  Enough doom and gloom already!  I ain't  goin anywhere.   Are You?

• maxie and Abe like this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#60 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

The real tragedy is people hanging out in PP forums when they could be playing free at PGLS. Since December 2019 over 30 people have joined PGLS either new game owners or long time players; tournaments, teams, ladders and events. There is plenty to do with other players or play your competition rounds by yourself. Courses are easy to download with Course Checker too.

Most of us "hanger-inners" bought this game for $19.00 on early release in 2013. I think we are incredibly fortunate to have this game still active at Steam. PLUS!  Course designers keep pumping out new courses.

Yeah...I think we are pretty damn fortunate. :)

• xooze and Affo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users