Photo

What does everyone think of the ball physics in PG?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Xitax

Xitax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

My experience is limited to computer golf only, so I lack real world context.  I can't play real golf now because I have rheumatoid arthritis and several fused vertebrae, so computer golf is the only way I can experience it.

So what do you think?  I think the concept of simulated physics is brilliant, but how realisic is it right now?

Opinion away please!

#2 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

I don't they are particularly realistic at this stage. The ball bounces and rolls in strange ways at times. I'm sure this will improve over time.
On long putts the ball seems to take off like a rocket and slows down very quickly.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#3 dedBuNNy

dedBuNNy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

My experience is limited to computer golf only, so I lack real world context.  I can't play real golf now because I have rheumatoid arthritis and several fused vertebrae, so computer golf is the only way I can experience it.

So what do you think?  I think the concept of simulated physics is brilliant, but how realisic is it right now?

Opinion away please!

This game doesn't use simulated ball physics or any sort or 'algo prediction' to determine what and where your shot goes. 

M Swing  //   N Assists

#4 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:39 AM

This game doesn't use simulated ball physics or any sort or 'algo prediction' to determine what and where your shot goes.

Perhaps it should. ;-)
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

I hear some things about non realistic bounces etc, can you post some video examples next time you see it so we can investigate. 

#6 Xitax

Xitax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

How does it work, then?  Anyone know?

#7 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:16 AM

The air physics is very good, we know this by simulating side by side with real launch monitors, the ground physics is ok but needs more work. 

• Joe Habiger likes this

#8 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

How does it work, then?  Anyone know?

of course people know.
explaining it would require everyone understanding computer coding and a very long boring answer lol.

#9 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

Some things to note when evaluating physics:

1. Pros have very different ball trajectories, rolls on putts, chips, checks out of bunkers,... than what you might see yourself when playing. Other golf sims should not be used as the definitive as they could be way out.

2. We only get to see our shots IRL from a first person perspective, we don't see the landing intimately or check from side on.

3. Just as the true slopes of courses never come through on television broadcast, ball physics also get distorted on TV.

4. The best indication of ball physics can be seen actually visiting a pro tournament, but even then sometimes we can't get in similar positions to where PG will show the action from. Even if we could, when attempting to squeeze what we see in real life into a small screen, further illusions occur.

I'm not saying PG isn't out, just that there are many illusions. Modeling the game of golf is both extremely complicated and complex and even the $30,000 Trackman is inaccurate in some areas.

#10 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

I really hope that lots of folks have bought Steam EA, which will give some infusion of cash that will help bring this game to the next level...I bought it on the 22nd, have not had a chance to play it yet, but i know that in time it will be a great game.......Cheers  :)

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#11 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

I agree that the ground physics needs some work. No hurray though, I can wait. Had some really hard and wierd bounces out of the sand traps and for sure the ball rolls too far thru the rough. On the back nine at Willow Heath there is a hole with a 50 yd. high hill to the left of the green and it's covered in long grass and shrubs. My shot landed near the top of the hill and rolled all the way down thru everything and ended up on the green.

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#12 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

Have had a few times now ball land in bunkers then bounce off sideways 15-20 yds like it hit a trampoline. Some similar crazy bounces when the ball has landed on a blend area  (like fairway to rough) though not as extreme.

Sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:41 AM

Good feedback, keep it coming.

#14 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:47 AM

Ball physics ???

They mean certain things to certain people.

In my case if I hit it & it goes where I aim....they are good, if not they are bad.

IMHO.....PG has got it almost perfect.

Tweaks will come & tweaks will go but so far I'm happy

Win  10 64bit

#15 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:14 AM

I think for the most part they are well done but there are a few things  that aren't right yet. Most of those are things like when a high shot hits the sand it should either bounce once at most or be a buried egg instead of bouncing right out of the sand trap. The other things are related to rough, heavy rough, brush, etc. but I'm pretty sure PP knows all that and how the ball reacts (doesn't react differently) to those or should react.  As far as the ball on the green when putting, yea it shouldn't take off like a bullet from a gun and then slow down. Sometimes it rolls and looks like it does IRL and other times BOOM shot from a gun with no roll.

Courses Created with Course Forge:

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#16 JoeSmith

JoeSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

I hear some things about non realistic bounces etc, can you post some video examples next time you see it so we can investigate. 

Seen many times the ball hitting bunkers and it sounds like it hit a trampoline and bounced out.  Does the ball ever get plugged in the sand?

Edit:   nevermind this post as if I had read all the posts I see others had the same comment.

Another comment is the tilt of the anis is almost comical.  Also have seen anis buried to their thighs in sand.

#17 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

I think, the ground physics have to be looked at. The pros can put spin one every shot. Should be implemented in the game. (Move the ball in the stance, change angle of the swing plane, etc.). Right now, i cannot get my wedges to spin, even when i hit way more than 100 % and use the highest trajectory possible. Thats not right. Pros have to purposely reduce the spin of their wedges for distance control. 

#18 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:46 AM

The air physics is very good, we know this by simulating side by side with real launch monitors, the ground physics is ok but needs more work. 

Completely agreed. 

I think the sidehill bounces are a bit exaggerated, and the ball at times bounces around likea super ball until it stops rather than finishing the last 20 feet on the ground. I found on Sebonack I could not get a 56W to stick much of the time, as the ball would bounce sideways a little bit and then 'bounce' for another 10 yards...I can't recall a single time on a golf course when my SW "bounced along" for another 10 yards...that is, other than Braid Hills! I birdied the 16th hole there by playing an easy SW landing it 10 yards short of the green, which bounced and rolled its way to within 3 feet of a back pin location. Compared to TGC, in which the ball finds the ground unrealistically quickly, I feel like the opposite is happening here. 

Unless the default firmness settings are pretty high, the ball seems awfully bouncy. Also the putt thing, slowing down all of a sudden, but I know how good you guys can make the putting. If you can make the airborne ball physics work well, I'd imagine the putting can get the same treatment. Generally speaking I think the chip swing is SPOT ON, feels so realistic in the decision making that goes into greenside play. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the chipping did not seem to have the same "issue" as the putting. I did give putting with the green grid on a go, and it seemed better that way. Not sure if the putting got any tweaks today or if the green grid helps with depth perception.  

#19 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

I think some actual good physics get warped into looking odd and weird by the current camera set. Once the cams are tuned a bit more not to follow every little bounce it will look much better.

Some bounces on the fairway looks odd but if I look at it again with full tracer on it makes sense..... if that makes sense.

• remers likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#20 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

The ball flight on full shots where club head speed is at maximum velocity are very good IMO,the area I feel needs improvement would be on the wedge/short iron shots.
An example would be I have 50 yards to the pin & I select my 56 degree wedge (110 yards full swing) I click at around 45% power to achieve my 50 yard shot but the ball flight becomes very flat ( to flat IMO) because of the reduction in club head speed.
I play golf to reasonable standard & in the same scenario in real life the ball flight would definitely be lower on a half swing but not as low as PG.
I think the algorithm for calculating velocity on shorter shots needs to be tweaked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users