Photo

New Patch 2 for Reflective and transparent water, SLI, CrossFire, and low-power GPUs

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 tamuchan

tamuchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

This patch is only for Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf ver1.4.3.0 .
It can be downloaded from
https://mega.nz/#!Is...flTUCwx2yWbK79U

When Dynamic Sky is enabled, many reflective ponds look more beautiful.

Changes from the old version:
Changed Unity standard water shader to AQUAS reflective and transparent water shader
Added "U" key option to raise all waterplanes by 30cm
Two versions "mainData" for exclusive fullscreen mode and borderless fullscreen mode

Reflective and transparent water:
"R" Key to change Water Mode
Every time you push "R" Key on courses, Water Mode changes like
reflective and transparent (default) -> "Perfect Parallel/Water" -> reflective and transparent->

"U" key to raise or lower all waterplanes by 30cm.
This option is for too shallow ponds.
Many ponds on courses are so shallow that you can see the bottoms of them.
When you leave a course, this setting is not saved.

Features:
Supports reflective and transparent water by replacing "Perfect Parallel/Water" shader
The framerate is about 1.4 times by killing the process of translucent Menu Screen.
Extends Tree Quality range for low-power GPUs
Exclusive fullscreen mode is enabled. (AMD CrossFire is enabled only in exclusive fullscreen mode.)
NVIDIA SLI is enabled.

Newly Known issues:
You can see joints between two waterplanes in some courses such as "East Lake Golf Club by Tekbud", "Florida Palms GR Blue by pgapro" and "Palm Beach GC by pgapro", because waterplanes are transparent.
When Dynamic Sky is enabled, a far part of some large and shallow ponds is not displayed.
So I raised three waterplanes in "East Lake Golf Club by Tekbud", "TPC Deere Run by Johnmeyer", and "Walker Course by NoPutt".

LO9tOgN.jpg

• Dazmaniac, Tigers Agent, gravedodger and 2 others like this

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

This seems like a wonderful update to an already great idea. Thanks for your hard work on this.

I wonder what impact the raising the water plane will have on playability. In some less steep terrain with hazards, I believe the water will creep out beyond the hazard stakes and we will see some interesting results. Because Aquas can have a more transparent shoreline, it may appear that one is not in a hazard but the ball will trigger the hazard sound and players will ultimately go with the play it as it lies option being outside of the staked off hazard. I'm not really sure just hypothetically speaking...

Also, could you provide some designer direction so that those building courses can establish water that plays nicely with your patch. I know in my beta for Kiawah, my waterplanes are from Aquas and I'm guessing they may not play nicely with your work. I'm thinking that I'd need to swap them back to some default plane.

Thanks again, for all your effort on this.

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

LOVE IT!!

Thank you so so much for your work on this.

Going to install it test it here shortly

#4 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:39 AM

I had the same question... if you change the height of the planes, does everything flood?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

This water looks awesome!!!

#6 tamuchan

tamuchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

I wonder what impact the raising the water plane will have on playability. In some less steep terrain with hazards, I believe the water will creep out beyond the hazard stakes and we will see some interesting results. Because Aquas can have a more transparent shoreline, it may appear that one is not in a hazard but the ball will trigger the hazard sound and players will ultimately go with the play it as it lies option being outside of the staked off hazard. I'm not really sure just hypothetically speaking...

Also, could you provide some designer direction so that those building courses can establish water that plays nicely with your patch. I know in my beta for Kiawah, my waterplanes are from Aquas and I'm guessing they may not play nicely with your work. I'm thinking that I'd need to swap them back to some default plane.

I set the raise of waterplanes at 30cm so that waterplanes don't go beyond hazard lines in many courses.
But in some flat courses, they go beyond hazard lines. In that case, you should not use "U" key option.
When waterplanes are raised, the colliders with them are also raised in the current version.
In "Walker Course by NoPutt", I found out a bug that four yellow stakes are in the water. So the situation you pointed out occurs in the course.

How to make beautiful ponds for course designers:
Make ponds not too shallow.

How to get a better framerate for course designers:
As few waterplanes as possible (For example, "Florida Glades CC" has many ponds, but uses one large waterplane.)
If some waterplanes are at the same level and horizonal, this patch can reduce render processes. ("Florida Palms GR Blue by pgapro" and "Palm Beach GC by pgapro")
But if many waterplanes have different positions of y or are not horizonal, you get the worst framerate. ("Liberty National GC by RobC")

#7 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

I set the raise of waterplanes at 30cm so that waterplanes don't go beyond hazard lines in many courses.
But in some flat courses, they go beyond hazard lines. In that case, you should not use "U" key option.
When waterplanes are raised, the colliders with them are also raised in the current version.
In "Walker Course by NoPutt", I found out a bug that four yellow stakes are in the water. So the situation you pointed out occurs in the course.

How to make beautiful ponds for course designers:
Make ponds not too shallow.

How to get a better framerate for course designers:
As few waterplanes as possible (For example, "Florida Glades CC" has many ponds, but uses one large waterplane.)
If some waterplanes are at the same level and horizonal, this patch can reduce render processes. ("Florida Palms GR Blue by pgapro" and "Palm Beach GC by pgapro")
But if many waterplanes have different positions of y or are not horizonal, you get the worst framerate. ("Liberty National GC by RobC")

Does that mean you draw a massive water plane and just dig down in different places for different ponds/lakes ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#8 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

In "Walker Course by NoPutt", I found out a bug that four yellow stakes are in the water. So the situation you pointed out occurs in the course

I have future plans to spruce up most of my courses, I'll take a dive and pull up those stakes.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#9 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

Two versions "mainData" for exclusive fullscreen mode and borderless fullscreen mode.

Can you please explain the difference between this two files?

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#10 tamuchan

tamuchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Does that mean you draw a massive water plane and just dig down in different places for different ponds/lakes ?

Yes. In a flat course, if many ponds are on the same level, that is the most effective way.

#11 tamuchan

tamuchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

I have future plans to spruce up most of my courses, I'll take a dive and pull up those stakes.

The four yellow stakes are in the water because in my patch I raised the waterplane of the big lake in your course.
I want you to lower the terrain below the big lake. So I don't have to raise it to be wholly displayed.

#12 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

I replaced the following files with the patch files:

Assembly-CSharp.dll

Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll

resources.assets

I then copied and pasted mainData-BorderlessFullscreen and mainData-ExclusiveFullScreen in the Perfect Golf Data folder.  I did not delete the existing mainData file because when I did the game would not load.

I then played the game with dynamic sky on.  When I press the R key the water in ponds goes white and there is a big drop in FPS so I obviously have done some thing wrong in installing the patch.

I assume it must have something to do with the two mainData folders.  Maybe I have to open them up and then paste them in the Perfect Golf Data folder?

Any help would be much appreciated.

RTSM - Pro

#13 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:41 AM

So I did open up the mainData-BorderlessFullscreen and pasted it into the Perfect Golf Data folder replacing the mainData file and when I played the game, pressing R gave me better looking water.  However, I only saw one new type of water whereas in the first patch there were two.  My FPS takes a big hit with the new water so I uninstalled it.  I guess I need a faster machine for this patch but thanks for offering it to the community.

RTSM - Pro

#14 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:32 AM

Ok, I've been trying this out, with both the borderless and the exclusive. I'm still not sure which one I should be using, but I play windowed the majority of the time.

I'm a big fan so far, especially of the softer edges where the water meets the land - you can see in this picture that it looks quite nice in the creek.

There's one very minor display issue that's come up for me; it isn't a real big deal, but it did catch me a little bit off guard and is kind of hard to get used to. Basically the contrast in the menus has disappeared, or at least diminished. Example below:

hU0C61e.jpg

#15 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

For modest spec PCs, the FPS hit when reflective water is toggled on can make the game unplayable (in RTS-M when you need a smooth animation). Mine often goes down from 60 to under 20. Occasionally I'll toggle it on for the view, and it looks superb. Even with reflective water off, though, this patch is well worth using for the FPS boost it gives. I'm using SLI cards and my frame rate often gets a great boost from a choppy 45-50 to a smooth 60.       

#16 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Ok, I've been trying this out, with both the borderless and the exclusive. I'm still not sure which one I should be using, but I play windowed the majority of the time.

I'm a big fan so far, especially of the softer edges where the water meets the land - you can see in this picture that it looks quite nice in the creek.

There's one very minor display issue that's come up for me; it isn't a real big deal, but it did catch me a little bit off guard and is kind of hard to get used to. Basically the contrast in the menus has disappeared, or at least diminished. Example below:

hU0C61e.jpg

I kind of like that!!    I might give this a try... 

#17 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

So, can the color, speed and ripples of the water still be adjusted this way?

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

This new water is so great… We enjoyed Crystal Pines with it last night and it looked amazing

#19 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

So I did open up the mainData-BorderlessFullscreen and pasted it into the Perfect Golf Data folder replacing the mainData file and when I played the game, pressing R gave me better looking water.  However, I only saw one new type of water whereas in the first patch there were two.  My FPS takes a big hit with the new water so I uninstalled it.  I guess I need a faster machine for this patch but thanks for offering it to the community.

I'm not quite sure of the installation procedure either. My water just appeared white too.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

I'm not quite sure of the installation procedure either. My water just appeared white too.

There's a readme.txt file in the download. Without sounding like a smart-ass it's just a simple case of extracting said files to the specified locations (obviously backing up the original versions of the files first of all). Then when the game next boots up, the new water patch is installed.

Assembly-CSharp.dll and Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Perfect Golf\Perfect Golf_Data\Managed

mainData and resources.assets are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Perfect Golf\Perfect Golf_Data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users