• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

I've posted a few times over the last month, all very noob questions as I just started my first course. I'm breaking it down into 5 phases:

1. Tees, greens, fairways (just finished now!)

2. Tee box, rough, bunkers, waypoints

3. Water, OB/hazards, shaping

4. Pins, grasses, adjustments

5. Structures, bridges, beta testing

I have a few general questions for phase 2 and have watched most of the video tutorials that apply to design so far:

1. What happens when splines overlap, I heard its bad? What about a rough against a rough? How do most deal with the rough area that is shared between 2-3 holes?

2. I also wanted a false front and put a fairway up against a green but it looks off and might be the fairway is going "over" the green.

3. I'd say that 60% of my course is water, I've been told the easiest way to do this is flatten my terrain and create a water plain underneath the area and just lower terrain. Is this correct? Common issues?

4. Is there any limit on the size of the rough or splines in general? Any negatives to really large and complex splines?

5. What is the best place for free assets for a course such as bridges and structures?

Thanks everyone. Hope to get this out this fall. Basically took my favorite hometown par 60 course on bogs and put it on steroids to a par 72. Only really had to make major changes to 4 holes so it still has its character and feel I hope. Thanks again in advance!

#2 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

I'm no expert but here goes -

1. I think when they overlap you just get weird visual glitches, however, and this is something I wish I'd known ages ago, concrete splines seems to look fine overlapped, which helps when you have long paths that are impossible to draw in one go.  As for rough areas between holes, I normally only draw a rough spline tight around the fairway and green of the hole...any other areas are just painted as rough.  That might not suit the look you're going for though.  Just experiment.

2. Not sure what you mean, maybe a pic?

3. I just lower the terrain where the water is meant to go, throw on the plane and adjust it as per the tutorial.  Large water areas just mean a bigger brush.  Save your terrain before doing any sculpting.

4. I think a limit has been mentioned by Mike before, but it's pretty big.  Just try to be smart with how you draw them.  A negative with large ones is that adjusting them can be tedious.

5. On the Unity asset store set the price to free and search.  My issue with free assets is that you have to give them a physics property...probably not hard, but just something else I'd have to learn.  With Speedtree it's just drag and drop.  There are guys here who might be able to help you create something, and DPRoberts has made the house builder package thingo available.

• Calichusetts likes this

#3 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:00 AM

Thanks...what I meant by 2 is I want the front of the green to just transition into a downward sloping fairway. I don't want fairway around the green and what I create just looks funky, don't know if I can have fairway run under the green as what I have right now looks strange.

#4 crazycorey44

crazycorey44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

I'm pretty sure you can't have a terrain spline going underneath or on top of another terrain spline or it will be all screwed up like this: https://imgur.com/a/Yl2aEkl

CrazyCorey44 2016 OGT Olympic Champ

i7-6700k  oc@4.60GHZ
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Z170 
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 4x4GB DDR4 2133
XFX Radeon R9 290X 8GB DirectX-11.2 DDR5 512-bit
Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler
ViewSonic 144Hz Monitor 
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit DX 12

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

As explained in the tutorial videos splines must be fully encompassed by an outer spine. This means you will have to put the fairway around the green but as long as you make the green and fairway splines fairly close together it will not be noticeable.

Pretty much all the basics are covered by the videos so if you have already watched them you should go back and watch them again as most of your questions are covered in there.

#6 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:49 AM

Figured, and that is what I was planning as I am putting in my rough this week. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users