• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:20 PM

Don't forget that Tiger used a steel shafted driver longer than anyone. Here's a picture of his driver in 1997.

We can talk all day about how Tiger over powered courses and won because of that but on fast Bermuda greens Tiger has a strokes gained advantage with chipping and putting that could carry him if he played with hickories.

He has sustained relevance because of his short game. It was interesting to see him flubbing chips last year. I thought he was so good chipping and putting that he could never "lose" that.

I always thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if you played with Tiger and switched after your approach (after tee shot on a 3, after a second on a 4, and after a third on a 5). As long as you aren't one that flails into the trees or hazards, you'd find he'd break 70 playing yours in and most would be about 72-75 playing in his shots. It would prove that the distance argument is not valid for most courses and you could break par if you had a better short game.

Although to be fair he is number 1 in stokes gained on approach shots into the greens this year. Couple that with a great short game like you mention and it's not surprising that he's had an amazing year considering where he was a year ago.

• DivotMaker likes this

#42 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:29 AM

Dragging someones personal life through the dirt is not something we want to see in an open forum.

He was number 1 in his sport and a huge public figure.  When you get to that point, your life in many ways IS an open forum.  Discussing it without too much rancor should be allowed, at least imo.

• GoldenBear likes this

#43 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:36 PM

The way tiger is swinging the club with a second and fifth in majors this year, he will win multiole majors in the next few years

He’s the best

And it’s my understanding he cleaned up his act off the course so I’m fine with that. Done and thing off the past
  • DivotMaker, Drgnslyr221 and RobC like this

#44 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

Looking at the way he played late on in the morning fourball's today in the Ryder Cup, I think it might be Tiger's back...... is giving him some jip.

• GoldenBear likes this

#45 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:29 PM

I think he's hurt again and either won't admit it, or he's told Furyk to keep it under wraps.

I think that shot he flailed at in the rough did it. He looked great for the first few holes but fell way off.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#46 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:00 PM

Amazing how his ryder cup record is so poor, he'll be desperate for a win in the singles just to get some form of redemption, he always struck me as a lone wolf anyway.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#47 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

A telling comment by one of the SKY team today that Woods rarely talks to his playing partner. Nor his caddy for that matter. 

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#48 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:53 PM

Tiger is out of gas chasing a win in the FedEx Cup Playoffs.
PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users