#1 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

I am confused...

Is the LIDAR overlay included in the course build when you render the course (see image below)?  I am guessing its not, but I want to make sure.  Also, I don't see it in the hierarchy. 

If it is part of the build, what are my options for reducing its contribution to the course's final build size? Its 256 Mb!  This can't be part of the build because its HUGE???  I have painted over alot of it, but that doesn't appear to be changing the overlay image?  Again, it makes me wonder if its part of the build.

In an effort figure it out, I thought I might reduce its size within unity while conforming to the powers of 2 rule and then rendering to see if the final file size is smaller, but I decided to try to understand whats going one a little better before trying that.

I've watched a couple videos on how to import the hightmap etc, but I still haven't got my arms wrapped around the significance of the size of the overlay.  I guess I could see how resolution could play into it, but the file size shouldn't need to be so big (256 mb).

Thanks for any feedback...

i-mcMdK2w-X2.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

The Terrain and the Terrain Overlay are the same image

but used as different entities.

When this image is added to CF and the Library textures

set to 0, the meshes will be invisible except for the overlay image, shaders,

and normals showing through.

In other words, if you are going to use visible meshes and paint everything

else the terrain image can be deleted when finished (be warned, everything not painted will be white). 2048 x 2048 should be fine for this.

If you are using the Terrain Overlay method then the image must remain and the higher resolution

is preferred but can be changed from Truecolor to Compressed in some cases.

Of course you can use visible meshes and invisible meshes in which case all images must remain.

Confused enough?

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

Confused enough?

I believe some clarification of terminology would help...

Does "terrain overlay method" refer to the process of bringing the LIDAR component into Unity, or is this terminology you are using to describe a process used in Unity to make the course AFTER the LIDAR step is complete?

Thanks

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:09 PM

The Terrain Overlay Method is put into play after the LiDar/Heightmap is added to Unity.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

What course are you creating? I believe I created the heightmap, and I will take a look at the overlay size. You may be able to reduce it's size by loading it into a graphics program and saving it as a JPG (which I belive it already is) and lowering the compression. Currenlty, I believe it should be 50%. Changing it to 25% or so will substantially reduce the image size. Just remember, the more it is compressed, the lower the resolution becomes.

The other option is to click on the overlay in the Project window, then in the inspector, change the format to compressed.

#6 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

The Terrain Overlay Method is put into play after the LiDar/Heightmap is added to Unity.

Thanks for the clarification.

What course are you creating? I believe I created the heightmap, and I will take a look at the overlay size. You may be able to reduce it's size by loading it into a graphics program and saving it as a JPG (which I belive it already is) and lowering the compression. Currenlty, I believe it should be 50%. Changing it to 25% or so will substantially reduce the image size. Just remember, the more it is compressed, the lower the resolution becomes.

You did make it for me Larry - thanks!  Its Ironwood_nc

The overlay is a jpeg.  I am OK with losing some resolution because most of what isn't painted will be far away from the player.  Heck, depending on the file size benefit, I may be OK with painting all of it and deleting the overlay.   That would take a little more time, but maybe thats worth considering...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#7 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:54 PM

Probably your best bet is changing the overlay format from Truecolor to Compressed in Unity. You should see a significant change in the file size.

In the inspector, change the max size from 8192 to 4096 and the Fromat from Truecolor to Compressed. Changing these options reduced the size from 256 MB to 10.7 MB.

If you want to eliminate the overlay totally, change the first paint texture (the overlay) to be the same as the second overlay image. That will then paint all areas not covered with splines or hand painted to the new texture. That way you do not need to do any additional painting.

By doing this, you will only reduce the final course build by a very small amount.

#8 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

Probably your best bet is changing the overlay format from Truecolor to Compressed in Unity. You should see a significant change in the file size.

In the inspector, change the max size from 8192 to 4096 and the Fromat from Truecolor to Compressed. Changing these options reduced the size from 256 MB to 10.7 MB.

If you want to eliminate the overlay totally, change the first paint texture (the overlay) to be the same as the second overlay image. That will then paint all areas not covered with splines or hand painted to the new texture. That way you do not need to do any additional painting.

By doing this, you will only reduce the final course build by a very small amount.

Thanks Larry.

I reduced the final build size by 45 percent and I believe that will result in an acceptable size at the end.  If I ever get off my butt and finish the damn thing - I am only on hole 8.

If changing the first paint texture to the same as the second overlay only gets me 10 mb, I think I will leave it be.  Or at least wait until the end to see what my file size is.  If I understand your last comment correctly?

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users