• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lords8n

lords8n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:08 PM

In the supplied picture, is there some way to make the golfer face the fairway and not the hole?
As it sit the golfer will face the hole.

3.jpg

#2 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

Someone else will know exactly but the pin has to be a certain minimum distance from the tee, I want to say 150yds but wait for someone who knows for sure, I just thought I would answer part of your question.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#3 lords8n

lords8n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

Moved the green to where the closest edge is 159yds from the tee and no go.

#4 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

Found this, I think it may be 250yds. http://www.perfectpa...ee/#entry152385

In other words you have to be 250yds or farther away or the shot will default to the closest pin.

Read Kablammos post.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:30 PM

Now heres another one  I found at he say's must be further than 265 but try 250 first. like 251 or further. As I said, it's been a long time since I did a dog leg but this is what I found.

http://www.perfectpa...nt/#entry126406

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#6 lords8n

lords8n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info.
The idea is to have the hole really close to the tees, but incredibly risky to attempt.
I guess I could just deal with having the golfer looking towards the green.

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

YW and I understand, however that's the way it was built and we can't change it. Wish we could. Good luck with your course. :D

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#8 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Can you not just put the first shot point in front of the tee boxes?  i always thought that the shot point will control initial direction as long as its closer than the pin/pins

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#9 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

If you zoom in to look at his image, that's what he did. As Axe referenced, inside of a certain distance, the pin takes precedence on player's view.

#10 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

If you zoom in to look at his image, that's what he did. As Axe referenced, inside of a certain distance, the pin takes precedence on player's view.

Lol yes i see it now...you learn something everyday :)

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#11 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:33 AM

How can 85 yards to the pin from the tee be difficult? One can easily clear the trees with a lob wedge.

Sometimes I think people just try WAY TO HARD to make something different when in reality it's not a very good design. "TO TRICKERY"

Now if there was almost no way to get to the green (IE trees 150 feet high and read ALMOST) this would be better but still I think it's just a bit comical. Sorry to be a Debbie downer and i'm sure you could careless what I say but I am more old school and I've seen way to many courses that look great but end up being a bad design and a NEVER PLAY AGAIN course because people get way to carried away with trying to make a golf hole difficult to get to the green. AS it is now your hole is not a par 4, nobody is going to try to hit the fairway because it is only 85 yards to the pin and the palms are probably only 75 feet high.

EXAMPLE: Most tour courses par 3's are WAY THE **** over 200 yards but in reality even a stupid 106 yard par 3 poses a challenge (pebble beach 7th).

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#12 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

I like to think that people can design any way they want, they pay their money for CF.  If the design is poor it does not offend me, i just choose not to play it, but if the op wants to design this way then just wish him well and move on.  The only thing i will say about the hole is that the designer may just as well reduce it to a slight dog leg because either way you cut it the approach shot will be straight on to the green from that fairway, so its a bit pointless to dog leg it so much in the first place.  Just straighten it out and think more about angling the green if its a shorter par 4.

• RobC and NoPutt like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#13 lords8n

lords8n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Not only is there an issue with getting the golfer to look down the fairway, there's also the issue of the minimap only showing the tee and green. You can't even see the fairway on the minimap. So that's bad.

It might be visually misleading, but your are not going "over" those trees with any club available, sorry.
Your only option would be through or around.
It doesn't matter anyways as I have moved the green 259yds away from the tees, and the design could further change, or be completely redone, which is the most likely scenario.

[  ] <-- this is a box
Every golf course in the world; every par four, par five, par 3, every elevation change, or odd real-world design sits inside that box.
There are hundreds of courses on many different sites, available for download, that sit inside that box.
I love golf, and have no problem with what's inside that box. But there's nothing wrong with trying to make something different and apart from the same hole designs over and over and over and over and over...get my point?

In actuality this will be a loose realistic reproduction of Blue Lagoon, the first course in Albatross18/Pangya. That's suposed to be my rendition of hole 13. I don't feel like adding another volcano, so I chose another trick to try.

If I keep at this course building I already have a completely underground course in mind (I fully understand all the limitation involved). If you don't like being outside the box you probably won't like that either.

• xooze, RobC and NoPutt like this

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

[ Joe ]

Good luck.

I have played Albatross18/Pangya many of times so I know exactly how crazy those courses were.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor