• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

First, once again, thank you all for the help with my "basic" questions over the past few months. I have "finished" my first course in the sense that I am done with terrain shaping, fairways, greens, etc. Now I am beginning the tree and grass work, then adding stairs, bridge etc. I am really trying to figure out grasses on my own but I'm struggling to come up with a tall fescue/rough that I want to use for the course I'm designing.

To put it all in perspective, I am basically taking my favorite small hometown course and stretching it into a par 72 from a par 61. A lot of the "deep rough" of this course is tall fescue. You can see it from their aerial photos here:

https://www.flickr.c...57623502034872/

I've scanned over speed tree, unity store, and turbo squid for something to buy or find free but a lot of it is PBR high quality wheat/fescue that won't work in this game or simply not "amber" enough. Just messing around tonight I came up with this by duplicating grass #3 and messing around:

https://imgur.com/a/IBZJIFF

As I start to spread it around, it turns dark red/black and I'm not sure if that is the lighting or the grass or what. Basically, I haven't found any good explanation of grasses and billboard 2D objects for course forge and was wondering if someone could give me a decent explanation of how it works, what works, and where I should go from here. I'll probably just start the tree work tonight.  Finally, here is a sneak preview of the course, no skybox or lighting work, so I know it looks junky, but if you are looking around the Southers Marsh pictures I first linked to, I basically flooded the bogs and stretched out the course:

https://imgur.com/a/A3PTAVL

Thanks in advance

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

Turn down opacity to not plant so thick. Paint a similar

color texture on the terrain beneath the grass to give

an illusion of thickness from overhead. 

Try these directional Light settings to have the sun directly

overhead.

08NpNuX.jpg

Grasses planted to thick for a long stretch will give the rainbow effect from shadows and lighting.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:40 PM

Thanks dude...unfortunately I was importing a few materials packs last night and crashed the course. Wouldn't load perfect parallel afterwards so I was just starting at my course. Tried to import the CF package assest again as a quick fix and it overrode my terrain and splines. Lost everything. Luckily I backed it up 3 weeks ago and I saved my terrain final file so i just need to readjust like 9 tees and I'm back to square one. Obviously with one final backup before I mess with textures and materials. You guys rock. I know I showed up late to the game but I love designing courses

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

You can get rid of the unity light/dark waves in the grasses by setting your terrain grass inspector colour to mid grey ie all set to 128. Then you can adjust the different shades and colours of grass individually without worrying that your grasses keep changing shade as you move around.

• NoPutt and DPRoberts like this

#5 Calichusetts

Calichusetts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

You can get rid of the unity light/dark waves in the grasses by setting your terrain grass inspector colour to mid grey ie all set to 128. Then you can adjust the different shades and colours of grass individually without worrying that your grasses keep changing shade as you move around.

Sorry...I'm still learning about grasses, how can I set the grasses color individually? PS- thank you a ton for your videos, watch your youtube ones as well.

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:37 AM

Sorry...I'm still learning about grasses, how can I set the grasses color individually? PS- thank you a ton for your videos, watch your youtube ones as well.

https://docs.unity3d...rain-Grass.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users