7 replies to this topic

#1 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:51 AM

Does anyone have or can someone assist me in getting lidar for Block Island, RI? There are no courses on BI, but the terrain is ripe for a golf course. Specifically, the Rodman's Hollow area on the southern part of the island, and Sachem Pond/National Wildlife Refuge on the northern part of the island.

Thanks!

#2 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:06 AM

Select an area on Google maps you are interested in and do a screenshot. We might be able to come up with a heightmap for you.

#3 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Larry. Let me know if this helps. Happy to provide anything else one might need.

gTxY2EIl.png

#4 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:28 AM

So I'm curious what other designers do when it comes to fictional courses on a real terrain plot. I know most designers here are creating real courses so the heightmaps might be easier to come by (that's pure speculation on my part), but for those of you creating fictional courses, where do you get your starting plot of land? 

Do you use the plot provided by Mike, and then just blow it up? For example, if you are doing a "flat" course, do you just flatten Mike's plot that comes with Course Forge then start creating from that point? Or do you start with a real terrain, like what I'm trying to do with Block Island (above)?

I'd love to hear your experience with how you all "start off" with fictional courses.  I'd like to make a links style on the BI terrain, but if it's harder to get the heightmaps for terrains without courses, then so be it.

FYI, I did try to follow Joe's "How I Use Lidar" tutorials. As soon as I got to the Global Mapper part, it went south fast.

At this point, I've created one fictional course using Mike's plot and kinda use it as my place to practice and experiment. I've also created a real parkland course.

#5 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:34 PM

I am messing about with a desert plot at the moment

I just searched google earth for a bit of land near Phoenix Arizona I liked

Got the terrain imported and am trying not to move too much land:-

26uOkDe.jpgZJPDzUn.jpgbdYkA3k.jpg

plenty of work to do yet 

Cheers RobC

• bortimus and NoPutt like this

#6 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

That's great! This is exactly what I'm trying to do with BI.

I used google earth on the real course I did, but I didn't import the terrain. Someone was kind enough to create a heightmap for me. How did you import the terrain from Google Earth? I realize this may be a long answer. I'd be happy to do it myself if you can point me in the direction of a tutorial, etc.

#7 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

I just used google earth for the location Justin9926 very kindly sorted me out the Lidar  :D

#8 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

I'll put together a heightmap for you here shortly

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3