• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cooke23

cooke23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

I've got a GTX 1070Ti and a i7 6700K CPU.  Heat is not an issue on either one.....all other games I've tried work flawlessly.  TGC19, Rocket League, etc.  I've narrowed it down to atleast a problem that I can see.  My GPU utilization basically hovers right around 40-45%.  All other games...push that to near 100% and hold there as long as needed.  All drivers are updated for the card, Steam, and BIOS.    There's many others having the same issue and I'd like to get some traction going on a fix for this.  

#2 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

May have to lower your in game settings, try some of the presets to get you in the ball park before tweaking. The game is probably more CPU dependent as it's still running on older DX9 tech.

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

When you say "Low FPS" what are you getting? 

#4 cooke23

cooke23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Barely 60FPS on Merion hole 1 tee box.  Bonville hole 1 tee I'm getting like 40FPS.  I know these courses are definitely more taxing but the thing is......my GPU is only running at like 45%.  Then on like the 2nd shot into the green........GPU pops to 70-80% and FPS ramps up to 80ish FPS.  I have a 1060, 1070Ti, and a 1080Ti that I've tested with on 3 diff PCs and all do the same thing.  Then I decided to use a 4K monitor and whatyaknow......GPU usage jumped from 45% to about 65% but FPS stayed almost identical.  Most games are supposed to basically run close to 100% IF there are no Vsync caps or FPS limiters.  I've did about everything I can think of.  Reinstalled drivers, disabled HPET and v-ot in BIOS, etc etc etc.  Its maddening

#5 RandyG

RandyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAshland,Ohio

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:49 PM

I've tried all the fixes I could find from Googling and the Steam support pages. My meter is sliding, stuttering, etc. Its impossible to hit the snap. While in motion the screen flickers.

I have a 144Hz Dell 27" monitor a 1070 Ti Nvidia GeForce card, 32 gigs memory running the Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40Hz on a Z170 ASUS Pro Gaming motherboard. Just to throw it in there, also a 800 W Power Supply.

I've replaced the SATA cord to my SSD, replaced my Ethernet with a so they say 'high speed' one.

I've run every solution from Microsoft; sfc /scannow, CHKDSK,etc. Also have checked for memory problems, I just finished with a complete clean install, went back 4 video drivers and all else I can't remember and still the game is unplayable.

All other functions I do on the computer are lighting fast.

There is no common hook to look for to fix the issue.

I can grow a beard waiting on the game to load.

This all started 3 to 4 weeks ago, otherwise the game was smooth as silk to play.

randy (PGLS)

#6 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

IMO, it's best to benchmark with an Stock Course. I use the same one when I think I'm having an issue and it usually ends up being the course itself, so I stick to the same one.

I use Illinois as my benchmark and get 100fps off the first tee on ultra high. If that changes dramatically then I figure somethings wrong on my end. if it stays the same, then I figure its the course.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#7 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

I have a slightly slower system (signature) and play in 4k on a 43 inch monitor, I get 45 fps on hole 1 of Merion but I have no problems playing the course. I don't need 100 fps to play games though but if I went to 1080p I'm sure i'd get a crap load more fps.

I don't think there has been one course I haven't been able to play yet WITHOUT tons of reflective water courses but only my Hazeltine did that when I tried reflective water on it.

I should state though I DO NOT play with a swing meter, I have grown up from that ancient interface. I have heard though there has been stuttering issues in the past with it.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#8 cooke23

cooke23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I understand that 45FPS in 4K may seem alright...and really it is.  But I guess my point is what would make the game tell the GPU to only use 42% of its usage capacity on various parts of the course.  That is the question we need answered because I'll say this.......if we can unlock the GPU to run 100% like most all other games.....your FPS in 4K would probably be 70+ and then you could VSYNC Every Frame and have the smoothest 60FPS on any course in the game.  Unless you use a 144hz or higher gaming monitor, we really just need a stable 60+ Frame rate to match our 60Hz monitors/TVs/projectors.  Having a course section determine how much GPU usage to use is completely ludicrous.

#9 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

I've tried all the fixes I could find from Googling and the Steam support pages. My meter is sliding, stuttering, etc. Its impossible to hit the snap. While in motion the screen flickers.

I have a 144Hz Dell 27" monitor a 1070 Ti Nvidia GeForce card, 32 gigs memory running the Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40Hz on a Z170 ASUS Pro Gaming motherboard. Just to throw it in there, also a 800 W Power Supply.

I've replaced the SATA cord to my SSD, replaced my Ethernet with a so they say 'high speed' one.

I've run every solution from Microsoft; sfc /scannow, CHKDSK,etc. Also have checked for memory problems, I just finished with a complete clean install, went back 4 video drivers and all else I can't remember and still the game is unplayable.

All other functions I do on the computer are lighting fast.

There is no common hook to look for to fix the issue.

I can grow a beard waiting on the game to load.

This all started 3 to 4 weeks ago, otherwise the game was smooth as silk to play.

randy (PGLS)

Wow nice rig,  i have a GTX 970 strix,  8GB ram running with an i5 6500 skylake cpu and i get 55 fps first hole merion, i do however temper my tree and grass view distance ( makes no real difference to me in doing so )  Some courses are just not FPS friendly, being user created you have to expect it sometimes.  So far there are only two courses i have tried that bring my medium rig to its knees and that's dancing rabbit and crossgates, everything else runs from just about acceptable to great.  I wouldn't sweat it, if a course fails to run as you'd like just bin it.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#10 badeddiekit

badeddiekit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

Same Here! Have a 980 TI and I'm currently only running in 720. The thing is my GPU because of the lower resolution, is only at 30% utilization. FPS stays low, dropping to 20 on the teebox at bonville, doesn't make any sense...

• Richard likes this

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Also, I find that sometimes WE are all too caught up in FPS's, I say, if it's running smooth, you're GOOD! Those numbers can play headgames with ya!

• Tigers Agent and DC#1 like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#12 cooke23

cooke23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

Thats the problem though......the game isn't running smooth a lot of times....especially the new courses coming out like Bonville, Merion....Merion is actually decent FPS wise even though the GPU is taking a nap.  This week's Pebble Beach course......lots of areas where it dips under 30FPS and I'm running a pretty beast system of a i7 7700 and a 1080Ti with 32GB RAM.  

To give more context.....
I've tried 3 diff PCs.  All other games run fine.  TGC19 is actually more CPU hungry than PG and that runs well into the low 130-180FPS range.
PC1 = i7 6700K, 1070Ti, SSD, 16GB RAM

PC2 = i7 7700, 1080Ti, SSD, 32GB RAM

PC3 = i7 7700K 1060 6GB, SSD, 16GB RAM

I use Merion Hole 1 tee to start my testing.  

PC1=65FPS and Usage is 42%, PC2=65FPS and Usage is 30%, PC3 = 75FPS and Usage is 65%.

Funniest thing is......I can hook a 4K monitor and run the game in 4K and get IDENTICAL FPS but the Usage percents jump up by about 20% across board.  There is SOMETHING in the game either an update or something that is limiting the GPU load.

#13 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

i think it is the newer courses and the huge ones. here is what i have my 1060

set on and i have only 2 or 3 courses that have screen lag and they are the big filesize courses.

i think the new courses use a bunch more FPS. in the process of shopping for a new system with a 2070ti RTX card

along with another 16gb of memory.

dol7is.png

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#14 cooke23

cooke23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

i think it is the newer courses and the huge ones. here is what i have my 1060
set on and i have only 2 or 3 courses that have screen lag and they are the big filesize courses.
i think the new courses use a bunch more FPS. in the process of shopping for a new system with a 2070ti RTX card
along with another 16gb of memory.
dol7is.png

I would strongly suggest not upgrading if Perfect Golf is all you play. Pushing more card at this game simply yields no perceived boost. All it does.....is just runs at a lower usage %. If your on a 1080P display....your Card is probably coasting along at around 60-70% tops. It doesn’t seem to care where your FPS is at. Your 1060 has more than enough horsepower to run this game. Like I said above.....I have 3 diff PCs all with solid GPUs and those courses like Merion and Bonville.... all push nearly exact FPS. The game is broken and there’s not really any other way to describe it
  • Buck likes this

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

The game is built in unity 5 and therefore generally cpu limited if you have a fast graphics card. Different parts of the CPU are used for different tasks and so while some may be maxed out some may not be and therefore not give a 100% CPU usage reading. This is due to the simplistic nature of most CPU/GPU performance monitors.

We have a performance profiler in unity editor which gives us details of exactly what causes performance slowdowns and bottlenecks. Many of the tasks in Unity 5 (on which platform PG is built) cannot be offloaded onto the GPU such as instancing specifically as it related to vegetation so these tasks are performed by the cpu which is suboptimal as the power of faster GPU's is then not used. This is not the case in newer versions of Unity where the GPU's are more easily utilized and details such as turf effects can be added with very little performance cost. The PG2 engine runs faster on my i5, GTX1080 system than PG1 because of these previous limitations. 

The community built courses that tend to be the slowest and not optimized for the engine are ones that either have a large number of objects such as grass, bushes etc or a high triangle count caused by the above and also using unoptimized trees, objects etc with no LOD's or poorly constructed ones. We didn't build any limitations into CF so people can add what they want, it's their choice as to how many objects and of what kind they use but I've seen many otherwise good courses let down by this.

The engine isn't 'broken' it's just using older architecture. An older Ferrari is not broken because it's not as fast a new Ferrari, technology just moves on.

#16 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

Mike

You'd better release this PG2 and new engine so we can try it ;) :D

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#17 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

PG2!

PG2!

PG2!

PG2!

:)

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#18 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Soon?  :P

#19 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:44 PM

cooke23,

Just as a guess, but check to ensure that the power profile being used is set to Performance rather than Balanced and see if there is any difference for you. 

#20 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

cooke23,

Just as a guess, but check to ensure that the power profile being used is set to Performance rather than Balanced and see if there is any difference for you. 

Sorry, double post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users