• PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

anyone know what the update was about

i clicked view news and nothing 80.2 MB

must be something

• Hammerfest likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

could be a steam issue, i have had 13 games update today from my library, i don't think any were updates from the game devs themselves...its a steam thing imo.  Pretty sure i did not get 80mb update for PG though.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

same here- had approx 30 updates so must be a steam thing

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

sure looks like a game update to me.

i also have other games and this was the only update i got

o91elh.jpg

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#5 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

Hey guys,

After this update I see at least two different things.

• Graphics in general look much nicer
  • Wind behaves weird. I have joined now two stroke games where the host have set still winds but we start with 17-12 mph winds and after 5 holes the wind goes to only 1 mph the rest of the 9 holes. New stroke with windy winds, started with 30-27 mph winds and after 5 holes the wind goes to 9-7 mph

Must say that I have never seen this wind behavior before and I play with high or at least some wind every time I play solo.

Even Dave mentioned something about the greens when we played together yesterday.

Is it only me that see different things after the update?

Regards, Eric  

2112cdd.jpg

#6 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hey guys,

After this update I see at least two different things.

• Graphics in general look much nicer
  • Wind behaves weird. I have joined now two stroke games where the host have set still winds but we start with 17-12 mph winds and after 5 holes the wind goes to only 1 mph the rest of the 9 holes. New stroke with windy winds, started with 30-27 mph winds and after 5 holes the wind goes to 9-7 mph

Is it only me that see different things after the update?

Regards, Eric  

Eric that wind acting like you posted could be because the host is using the live weather function

which has never properly worked. and no you are not the only one to notice the changes, i have noticed seems we have more roll on the greens then i have ever noticed, also on this wind thing one of the members put the wind model together for the game we are playing now. if i remember right the wind that the fella took his expert time to put together never got fully put into the the game just a piece of it made it in that is why anything over strong breeze is more less just a crap shoot and many avoid playing above strong breeze. there are posts in here somewhere about the wind but im not taking my time to search them out they go way back at least a couple of years i believe. also to be quite honest a lot of these folks that use this forum do not spend the kind of time we do playing the game so i doubt some would even notice any changes at all.

Klipsch Sound System

#7 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Eric that wind acting like you posted could be because the host is using the live weather function

which has never properly worked. and no you are not the only one to notice the changes, i have noticed seems we have more roll on the greens then i have ever noticed, also on this wind thing one of the members put the wind model together for the game we are playing now. if i remember right the wind that the fella took his expert time to put together never got fully put into the the game just a piece of it made it in that is why anything over strong breeze is more less just a crap shoot and many avoid playing above strong breeze. there are posts in here somewhere about the wind but im not taking my time to search them out they go way back at least a couple of years i believe. also to be quite honest a lot of these folks that use this forum do not spend the kind of time we do playing the game so i doubt some would even notice any changes at all.

Hey Dave, whatever the update did to the winds or the rolling on greens issue, it....sucks. I have mentioned now many times, this game is the ONLY 1 that gives you a realistic wind behavior (forgetting the momentarily wind issue) because the wind changes while the ball in the air, I know now also, after playing the game often, that many players hate that the ball changes direction while in the air, I always defend arguing the realism of it. Which means that less & less people will join multiplayer games with some or high wind : ((....geeez....EDIT, well at least the game graphics look AWESOME now, at least for me. 

2112cdd.jpg

#8 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

well Eric now you know why you have a hard time putting together games

with the crazy wind set above strong breeze at times. and to be quite honest

i would not be out playing real golf in 30 and 40 MPH so i dont do it much here other then in the PGLS tourneys.

Klipsch Sound System

#9 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

well Eric now you know why you have a hard time putting together games

with the crazy wind set above strong breeze at times. and to be quite honest

i would not be out playing real golf in 30 and 40 MPH so i dont do it much here other then in the PGLS tourneys.

Well, I have noticed that nobody joins my "hardcore" settings with stormy, diff pins, hard/hard stimp 14, bumpy greens, etc although when making alternates I set maximum "variable" winds and still people complain about the same "ball direction change" in the air. I just do not enjoy the game playing "regular" stuff with no wind. As you have noticed I do not play PGLS tournes (did play many tournes a week in the other golf game tho), I have now even more fun playing alternates than solo. & as you, I play this game mainly to get my head somewhere else after having a hard day at work. 

2112cdd.jpg

#10 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Well, I have noticed that nobody joins my "hardcore" settings with stormy, diff pins, hard/hard stimp 14, bumpy greens, etc although when making alternates I set maximum "variable" winds and still people complain about the same "ball direction change" in the air. I just do not enjoy the game playing "regular" stuff with no wind. As you have noticed I do not play PGLS tournes (did play many tournes a week in the other golf game tho), I have now even more fun playing alternates than solo. & as you, I play this game mainly to get my head somewhere else after having a hard day at work. 

I think hardcore settings are really fun because it takes some imagination, extra thought and a little experience.  That said, I won't join a "stormy winds" game.   I really do like hard, hard, 14 stimp and difficult pins though :)

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#11 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

I think hardcore settings are really fun because it takes some imagination, extra thought and a little experience.  That said, I won't join a "stormy winds" game.   I really do like hard, hard, 14 stimp and difficult pins though :)

geeeez, 1 more out of my list of friends for stormy winds  :huh:, you should say that you love stormy js so I do not miss more friends for stormy!  ;)

2112cdd.jpg

#12 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

With regards to the update, anyone else ever notice that Florida Glades had bugs flying around on the first tee and others.

I just never noticed this before or its new.

#13 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:46 AM

Dave - right on Q with the Wind topic.

It was exactly one year ago that I spoke to Andrew by phone about how to properly code the wind model.  Turns out, PG's current model isn't coded right so it will only be accurate at zero wind and ~60 mph.  In between it under predicts the effect, and over 60 mph it greatly over predicts.

We spent 90 minutes going over all the proper equations, and at the end he told me what I gave him would show up in PG2.  No promises were made for PG1.  I'm still seeing the old wind model after the latest update.

[attachment=1500:Wind model.jpg]

John

#14 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

With regards to the update, anyone else ever notice that Florida Glades had bugs flying around on the first tee and others.

I just never noticed this before or its new.

You just never noticed.   :)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#15 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

Dave - right on Q with the Wind topic.

It was exactly one year ago that I spoke to Andrew by phone about how to properly code the wind model.  Turns out, PG's current model isn't coded right so it will only be accurate at zero wind and ~60 mph.  In between it under predicts the effect, and over 60 mph it greatly over predicts.

We spent 90 minutes going over all the proper equations, and at the end he told me what I gave him would show up in PG2.  No promises were made for PG1.  I'm still seeing the old wind model after the latest update.

attachicon.gifWind model.jpg

John

Hey John, I have never seen 0 or 60 mph winds in this game, (I play all my solo games with stormy winds) but have seeing the highest winds at 37 mph, yes dramatic but still playable if you get experience handling those high winds. What is the realistic wind effect on the ball lets say at 17 mph?, mmm, probably that data is already in your hands or in professional caddies hands and pro players or something like NASA or alike. Whenever that EXACT data comes into play in this or the new game is not relevant, me think. The ball changing direction WHILE in the air is the KEY to a close & realistic wind behavior and in my opinion the great thing about this particular golf game. 1-3 yards more or less deviation with any model you have is ok, 20 yards deviation is obviously off card. ....loving the wind effect anyways : )) 

2112cdd.jpg

#16 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Might be going out on a limb here, but if it was a game update (and not something Valve pushed for Steam) is it too much to ask for a Dev just to give us a heads up? Or have they really cast the game adrift that they are past caring?

• SFR and SebGOLO like this

#17 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

Eric,

I think the trajectory being somewhat off isn't a big deal as long as it looks and behaves in a realistic manner.  The final ball spin, velocity, and impact angle all feed into the ground interaction model.  If they're not realistic, strange green spin-back and forward bounces occur.

The same is true of the club/ball interaction model that feeds info. to the flight model.  Incomplete output data from one leads to incomplete input data to the next model.  I don't think PG's spin model, in the club/ball collision model is complete.  Say for a 100% power impact you change the launch angle, there should be a change in total spin to match it but there isn't.

And...I did work at NASA ~40 years ago as a CO-OP student.

John

• SebGOLO likes this

#18 LOLserver

LOLserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

@ John, thanks for your answer. As you said, the trajectory is not so important (I like that) but the landing forces according to landing angle, speed and finally spin is the issue. Completely right, you can only get spin with the wedges and it is overrated indeed. I was a top player in the other popular golf game where you can buy equipment & balls with huge amount of spin, so to say you can make a ball stop rapidly on green with the long irons & even with the woods....the more launching power, the higher the spin. I REALLY hope you guys get to fix this for the PG2 as there are no hopes to see that fixed for this PG1. Regards clever man. Eric   

2112cdd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users