#21 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:02 PM

It's an overlay, a satellite image of an area. I doubt anything can be illegal about it because your photoshopping out houses and details already. Now if it includes AREA 51 then I think you might have a problem.

I don't think they want to do it because it takes time to photoshop all the details out of the overlay and I know all about having to design a course for a company. They want it faster than you can pretty much do it and if you can't do it in the time they give you they pretty much say screw you and get someone else. Can't crank it out in 2 weeks? Oh well i'll find someone else!

• Dropzone73 likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#22 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:54 AM

It's an overlay, a satellite image of an area. I doubt anything can be illegal about it because your photoshopping out houses and details already. Now if it includes AREA 51 then I think you might have a problem.

I don't think they want to do it because it takes time to photoshop all the details out of the overlay and I know all about having to design a course for a company. They want it faster than you can pretty much do it and if you can't do it in the time they give you they pretty much say screw you and get someone else. Can't crank it out in 2 weeks? Oh well i'll find someone else!

You are probably right about that legal stuff.

I know they want course in two weeks. I did Silverado, Napa Valley for Trackman/Golf Channel last autumn in two weeks, but it already had imported splines from PGA's data. Splines needed some tweaking but it was a major help anyway. From the scratch, it's normally one month per course they require.

• Joe Habiger likes this

#23 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

I would have definitely used overlay in Silverleaf. No trees or shadows to remove from the course area at all.

See below. And it's all as good as that little sample. And that's just a print screen resolution.

yQIL3He.jpg

• Buck likes this

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

I would have definitely used overlay in Silverleaf. No trees or shadows to remove from the course area at all.
See below. And it's all as good as that little sample. And that's just a print screen resolution.

yQIL3He.jpg

Great find - that area/terrain around the course with that unique and interesting coloration I think would really work well for an overlay technique course version and add a ton to the realism.

#25 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

You are probably right about that legal stuff.

I know they want course in two weeks. I did Silverado, Napa Valley for Trackman/Golf Channel last autumn in two weeks, but it already had imported splines from PGA's data. Splines needed some tweaking but it was a major help anyway. From the scratch, it's normally one month per course they require.

One month per course isn't to bad but as slow as I am I would need 2 years per course..lol

• Dropzone73 likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#26 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Does anyone know if there is any LiDar in the area. I play lots of of golf in the North Scottsdale area and there are so many great courses at Troon North, Boulders, Grayhawk, Quintero etc.
The Golf Club at Dove Mountain looks and plays great especially on a sim. I’d love to have a go at one of the other courses but with big elevation changes it would be tough to do from scratch for a CF novice.

#27 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Lidar seems difficult to find for Arizona; I've asked for some previously without success.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#28 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:36 AM

The tiles at UofA generate an OK-ish map.

#29 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Just a FYI we fly a drone over for each course we do so the lidar is up to date and we get the course layout as it exists at that moment. A lot of the public lidar is unfortunately out of date.

• SebGOLO likes this

#30 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

It's kind of sad. "We" used to mean "Us."

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#31 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

Just a FYI we fly a drone over for each course we do so the lidar is up to date and we get the course layout as it exists at that moment. A lot of the public lidar is unfortunately out of date.

Is that a Perfect Parallel or Trackman drone?
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#32 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

LOL good one IanK, I doubt PP can afford a drone.

Trac has all the money in the world that's why they only get the courses and we don't. We have to rely on our members but our members don't make us pay hundreds of dollars for each course to play it either. 

It's all about the dinero now for PP, they are making UKO f'in bucks from trackman for these courses and in turn Trackman gets OH F*in momma money from all the PGA Pro's and Clubs.

• IanK likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#33 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

A PP drone would probably fall out of the sky and get sold to the highest bidder to fix.
  • Joe Habiger likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#34 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

A PP drone would fly off and never be seen again.

• Joe Habiger, mcthommo and RobV like this

#35 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

A PP drone would not get any more updates, we know that for sure.

• Joe Habiger likes this

#36 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:43 PM

I know it's kind of bad picking on them but when you could careless about us anymore (or it could be Trackman just being douchebags) you've kind of earned it.

• axe360 and IanK like this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#37 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

I really don't understand what you mean blotchiness in today's overlays. Put terrain below up last night, Las Palmas course in Canary Islands. The overlay is definitely the best colour source for the textures. I think it's just elegal to use these overlays in commercial courses and that's one reason TM doesn't use them. I have discussed with Mike and he is very well aware of this technique. It's also faster to do courses in the old way. And quality stays about the same.

Bit hesitant to answer because it might be a case of one you see it, you can't unsee it, but here's a screenshot in the spoiler as an example. Remember I'm talking about during play - so you're not going to see the mottling in the long distance shots you posted in your reply above.

It's each pixel of the overlay blowing up a roughly a 1x1' or even 0.5x0.5' blotch, simply because 8192 pixels is spread out over the whole course. Each pixel in the standard low-frequency texture leads to a far smaller, unnoticeable tinting . Seriously much better today than when 4096 was max overlay size, but I see the whole first cut here like an patchwork of  blotches. It's extreme on the first cut here, but not uncommon. I also see it on the fairways, tees, greens.

Now of course that can be helped a lot by smoothing the differences between adjoining pixels in the overlay, but that's a major ton of work. I like what either you or someone else was saying in exploring higher texture sizes now that cards are better and other optimizations have been discovered.

Also you asked about the profiler above - to my memory it only came in in a later version of Unity than is used for CourseForge. Also it could be a little misleading given that we're not actually running the game in Unity, but definitely would be helpful.

Spoiler

#38 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

nice to hear from you M J.

• sideshowbob and Jesus Jones like this

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#39 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Bit hesitant to answer because it might be a case of one you see it, you can't unsee it, but here's a screenshot in the spoiler as an example. Remember I'm talking about during play - so you're not going to see the mottling in the long distance shots you posted in your reply above.

It's each pixel of the overlay blowing up a roughly a 1x1' or even 0.5x0.5' blotch, simply because 8192 pixels is spread out over the whole course. Each pixel in the standard low-frequency texture leads to a far smaller, unnoticeable tinting . Seriously much better today than when 4096 was max overlay size, but I see the whole first cut here like an patchwork of  blotches. It's extreme on the first cut here, but not uncommon. I also see it on the fairways, tees, greens.

Now of course that can be helped a lot by smoothing the differences between adjoining pixels in the overlay, but that's a major ton of work. I like what either you or someone else was saying in exploring higher texture sizes now that cards are better and other optimizations have been discovered.

Also you asked about the profiler above - to my memory it only came in in a later version of Unity than is used for CourseForge. Also it could be a little misleading given that we're not actually running the game in Unity, but definitely would be helpful.

Spoiler

Ok, I understand. That was a 8192 resolution ovelay in 650 * 650 meters area. I't about 8 cm accuracy and about 156 pixel per square meter. Shitty endeed :P. I'm sorry if Pebble isn't perfect IRL.

One thing I have to agree though. I would have wanted it smoother also myself. I'm afraid my resolution was too good. I smoothent the overlay already quite much but a little less detail with antializing could have looked better. So the resolution isn't the problem in my opinion, it's just that we have to learn a little more. That Pebble was my test course and I learned my lesson. Next ones will be better, if they'll ever come out ;).

• DPRoberts likes this

#40 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:24 AM

Three more new courses for Trackman users.
It’s starting to hurt a little bit I’ll admit.

https://www.instagra.../p/BwJ4j9unZA0/

MONTECITO CLUB - CALIFORNIA, US
TRINITY FOREST - TEXAS, US
HOFGUT SCHEIBENHARDT GC - GERMANY

Nice mountain/hill backdrop on Montecito
https://scontent-sea...dninstagram.com

Trinity looks nice also
https://scontent-sea...dninstagram.com
  • slewin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users