7 replies to this topic

#1 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:17 PM

Is there a way to adjust the overhead to match the Terrain better? I'm starting a new project and the Google map is just slightly off to where if I want to use the sand for my overlay I would have to sculpt like every bunker. I was wondering if there is a way in Photoshop or unity to be able to shift the overhead slightly? Here's two images showing what I have. You can see it doesn't need to move much but it sure would be nice if I could move it some. The first image is of the terrain so you can see the impression of the bunker. I place 4 height sticks around it so you can see when I put the Google image on where it needs to be moved to

Qj2BU94.png

9ekRmf0.png

I thought I remember seeing Dropzone73 mention how to fix this in a post but can't remember where or find

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:40 PM

I am thinking you will have to move it in Photoshop. You can move the paint swatch for the terrain in Unity with Offset, however doing this will likely not move your Overlay for CF. Meaning you trace a spline only to find that the bunker is still cut off.

It is then trial and error in Photoshop. I would suggest a box selection of the whole course and then shrink it like 20 pixels. Copy this layer and paste it. Then, move that layer around with arrow keys. 1 or 2 clicks x or y. Return to Unity to see the result. By doing this, you'll still have some greenery around your edges, even though it won't match perfectly.

Might be best to try the offset first in Unity as an experiment because it's easy to return it back to normal. Double click on your paint swatch. In offset, move it + or - in x and y in numerical increments. You'll see it move as you type. Trace your bunker and recalculate and see if it's getting cut off. I don't think you can double click on the Overlay tile but you could try that as well.
  • Justin9926 likes this

#3 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:04 PM

I could be wrong but I think that drop zone said to put both google and bing into photoshop as different layers then move the google to match the bing if the bing is better.
  • Justin9926 likes this

#4 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

I was able to move the overhead to match perfect now by changing the offset in the Y by -.45. But I doubt that will change the Terrain controller script. But I could try doing that overlay and slightly move it. Can't do it right now I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks guys

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#5 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

If you load both images into Photoshop and set your Bing image to 50% opacity or so with it being the top image. You can then move the Bing image to align it with the Googlr image. Not sure, but you might be able to use the cursor keys to move it one pixel at a time. It shouldn't take much more then 2-3 pixel offsets in the vertical and horizonatl to get a better alignment.

You will get a slight border with missing imagery. but basically not noticable.

• Justin9926 likes this

#6 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

Just got done tweaking my overhead. Worked like a charm now my Google map lines up damn near perfect to the terrain. Basically I did what Matt suggested. I tweaked the overhead using the offset till it lined up with the bunker impression. Then I drew my spline around the bunker. Then I took the overhead into Photoshop made a duplicate layer of itself and turn the opacity down to around 30%. Then as Larry suggested I just use the arrow key to move the duplicate layer by 2 clicks up. Save that as my PSD went back to unity and everything lined up perfect now.

Thanks guys,

PS, Now if I only knew this 4 courses ago would have saved me time on moving splines around the bunkers. Just my luck, I'm always late to the party LOL :)

Oh yeah it only took me about 10 minutes to do. So the average person should be able to do it in under 5 :D

• NoPutt and DPRoberts like this

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#7 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

Without borders, this needs to be done in Global Mapper. You can easily adjust the whole overlays offset by telling the x and y values in meters.

But your work around is good enough in most cases. Nicely done ;).

PS. I have seen that kind of errors in most of the Californian satellite images or in lidar data. I don't know which one is off.

• Justin9926 likes this

#8 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:35 PM

That border won't really matter anyhow beings I'm going to be hiding the first terrain anyhow. I'm making a larger second terrain so that overhead will cover everything.

• Dropzone73 likes this

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users