VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#22 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

I think that bottom line is that, if you desire, you could keep your course as is and just add 3d grass.

Only reason I like overlay on my fairways at Scioto is so I can do the half and half (light/dark) mow pattern.
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#23 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

Were all making strives in course design that people think WE MUST include them for people to like our course. If a course does not come out with 3d grass now that we will have it so be it, if the course doesn't come out with an overlay big deal. Just have fun and don't let people tell you how to design. 

Again your textures were so damn good on Crooked Stick that is what i'd like to see on that course but this is your course and you design how you want. If you want to change the par lengths of a few holes and just compile it again and put it out as a 2019 US Open version great.. 

We found better ways of doing things but it's only up to you if you want to go that route. 

• J_Schollmeyer, RobC, Greensboronclion and 1 other like this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#24 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

Don’t think anybody is demanding anything. It’s great that we have designers like Matthew that care to listen to what players want.
  • J_Schollmeyer likes this

#25 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

My opinion obviously isn’t worth much, but I just wanted to add that one of the reasons I love the overlay on fairways is it just gives it a really natural and real life coloration and looks less perfect which generally matches most courses in real life.

Anything that doesn’t gravitate towards the Mario golf totally perfect green carpet fairways of the golf club is good in my book.
  • zmax - sim and Tentpole like this

#26 granite00

granite00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

The huge strides being made are wonderful.  I just hope that these strides don't make new courses unplayable on mid range computers.

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

What do you consider a mid range computer in 2019 and beyond?

#28 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:52 AM

Larry got me a new OH which I'm going to have a look at.

I think I might try some kind of combination with partial transparency in some areas. The nice thing about this is that I'm working with all the splines, planting and infrastructure still in place so all my energy can be focused towards experimenting with texture combinations.

I'm working on a course that's an APCD conversion and using it as a guinea pig for a few things. One of them is stacking two or three grass textures on top of each other with varying levels of transparency so that you still get a nice, lush green look but there is some variance in the blades - with 3D it may not matter anyway, but I'm open to trying everything.

Pebble Beach is special, to me personally but also just to golf in general. I want to have a version of it that stands out.

• luetze, fungolfer, Tresclub and 13 others like this

#29 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

Alright, we are going with a hybrid overlay/non-overlay - I'm gonna use overlay for tees, fairways, and greens with textures for the rest, and then I'm gonna send it off for 3D grass. I think the results are gonna be amazing.

Here are some early screenshots - obviously the overhead image will need to be cleaned up as some of the tees are clearly too dark thanks to shadows from trees but I think this has serious potential.

uTdFpt0.jpg

xTpWwIs.jpg

For those wondering how I'm gonna accomplish this in time - all the planting, splines, tees, pins, cart paths, and buildings are intact; I've just turned the objects off for the screenshots. I do need to repaint the terrain though as I decided the resolution wasn't good enough to get me a small enough brush. I'm not too discouraged by this as I think my technique in this area has improved immensely in the time since I last worked on this anyway, and I've also made better textures.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to add back in a first cut of rough; for the time being I've taken it out and it has allowed me to get the bunkers closer to the greens - I noticed when looking at the overhead that my bunkers and greens have both shrunken quite a bit from what's on the overhead due to needing to leave certain buffers between splines.

There's going to be two new versions of the course - a regular one with the 2nd hole as a par-five and multiple tee sets per normal, and then I will have a US Open version which will have USGA livery and will play #2 as a par-four, perhaps with just four pin positions and the one tee set.

• Tresclub and SebGOLO like this

#30 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

Sounds like a great plan. I would ask that you leave multiple tees in for the US Open version. There will be times I want to play that version and not get destroyed by the length.

#31 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:49 AM

Really looking forward to this one.  Normally at the PGA Tour site they have the pin positions so I assume your plan to have four pin positions is to use the locations the USGA uses.  Your idea of having two versions is well thought out providing the US Open test and the course that green fee players would play for a mere $500 USD.  Thanks.

RTSM - Pro

#32 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:13 AM

If you’re gonna release two versions, pleased add all available tees to the US open version as stingreye suggested. Simulator users need to have multiple tees.

#33 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:53 AM

Well, it'll be essentially be the same course except for the par on one hole.

I did think about some invisible challenge tees just in case the USGA wants to move up, like that weird tee for #10 that's just off the ninth green, and possibly featuring that as part of an alternate set you can play from. I suspect they will use some forward tees on other holes on occasion.

Maybe I'll just remove the markers or something.

#34 GolfGuy72_2000

GolfGuy72_2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:51 PM

Thank you very much for making another awesome edition of Pebble Beach, Matthew, and especially for your consideration in making two versions with one having #2 as a par 5. As a simulator player who's not exceptionally long off the tee, it's great to have that as an option. Thank you very much again for all your contributions to the community, Matthew, and can't wait to play this course!

• fungolfer likes this

#35 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

I’d like to second the comments above. As a sim player it would be nice to play the course from a shorter tee. The original course was superb and I’m sure the next version will be even better but please include a slightly shorter tee option.

#36 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:38 PM

Thank you Matt for using overlays and textures. I think using overlays are great but yes just for what you mentioned because IF we start using this 3d grass we don't need overlays on the rough and just need textures. I'm sure this is going to be amazing!

I also got Hazeltine National Ryder Cup Edition using this same thing but that's all I'll say for now.

• Armand likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#37 Edwardo

Edwardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

Fantastic Matt. Thank you!

#38 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

Can't wait and so do my friends. Thanks Matt :)

Who cares...

#39 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

Fantastic that you will work over your wonderful rendition of Pebble Beach. Could you please consider to change the water colour of the sea if it's not too time-consuming? It looks a bit artificial to me just like a painting. Maybe something like Royal Troon that looks very natural to me. That would be the icing on the cake for a surely wonderful new version of Pebble Beach.

• J_Schollmeyer and Buck like this

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#40 WeedWhacker141

WeedWhacker141

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Matt, a true artist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users