Photo

Question regarding fairway and rough slope at the player's feet.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 stancomputergolfer

stancomputergolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Location1 mile south of the Cheddar Curtain

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

New to JNPG. Sorry about the dumb questions. If I leave the grid on, when I'm hitting from a bunker, rough, or fairway, there is a box around my feet showing the slope. Today, I hit a 12/6 snap on a shot I  aimed directly to the bottom of the pin. It went offline by 34 feet in calm wind of 1 mph. Those who have helped me learn the game have always indicated that those slopes are immaterial to a shot. I suspect that may not always be the case. Can someone elaborate on them? Are shots affected by slope at my feet? If so, always? Or, under what conditions?

Thanks,

SCG

Intel Quad Core i7-9700

32GB DDR5 RAM

Win 10 Home 64

Nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 6GB

32" Vizio 1080p display

Gigabyte Z390 UD

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum gaming headset

Logitech G700S gaming mouse

#2 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:28 AM

SCG,

I can't really elaborate on your situation much as I have only played one round in the last year (I played it last week!).  I'm getting back to the game, so I'll be mentally noting the effects as I start playing more shots (using RTSH).

In my experience, the ball flight from a side-hill lie has always been affected.  It was once more pronounced than in the last few iterations of the game, but it still has some affect.  In my opinion, it should be closer to how it was, but it's not going to change.   I will suggest that it is more pronounced at Tour Pro level than at the other skill levels, but I'm not certain of that as I haven't played the other levels.

<_<

#3 stancomputergolfer

stancomputergolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Location1 mile south of the Cheddar Curtain

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:32 AM

Are you saying the developers are finished developing this game?

Intel Quad Core i7-9700

32GB DDR5 RAM

Win 10 Home 64

Nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 6GB

32" Vizio 1080p display

Gigabyte Z390 UD

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum gaming headset

Logitech G700S gaming mouse

#4 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:48 AM

That is the $64,000 question (I know, I'm dating myself with that comment!).  PG1 (or JNPG or PG) is done - there are no more developments being made, as far as any of us are aware.  Perfect Parallel was bought by Trackman about a year or so ago; and we've only been told that PG2 is being worked on:

http://www.perfectpa...hlist/?p=166024

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:54 AM

Just to sharpen it up a bit...

TM bought PP in the fall of 2017, so it changed hands more like a year and a half ago, getting closer to 2 years here before much longer.

Smart money would say it’s all done here.

Thank goodness for the 3rd party course designers who are expanding what we have here, now even including this amazing stuff with 3D grass of late.
  • Armand likes this

#6 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:44 AM

SCG, if you're playing 3C, go to the driving range and hit 10 shots. You'll see that the "Perfect Snap" is almost impossible because the game calculates the "snap" to 6 decimal places (I think it's 6?) So nearly every shot will be a small push or pull. If you hit a slight pull off a R to L slope it will move R to L. How much it moves depends on the level you're playing and any wind that comes into the equation. 

#7 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

New to JNPG. Sorry about the dumb questions. If I leave the grid on, when I'm hitting from a bunker, rough, or fairway, there is a box around my feet showing the slope. Today, I hit a 12/6 snap on a shot I  aimed directly to the bottom of the pin. It went offline by 34 feet in calm wind of 1 mph. Those who have helped me learn the game have always indicated that those slopes are immaterial to a shot. I suspect that may not always be the case. Can someone elaborate on them? Are shots affected by slope at my feet? If so, always? Or, under what conditions?

Thanks,

SCG

yes it can,i always ajust a little for it depending on how steep,more so on steep slopes.but it is one of the factors i use when playing a shot.  

• Affo likes this

#8 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

In my experience the slope on which the ball sits has little effect on how the ball will fade or draw. If you compare this to Links 2k3, the slope in that game had a major influence on the ball curving left or right.

#9 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

In my experience the slope on which the ball sits has little effect on how the ball will fade or draw. If you compare this to Links 2k3, the slope in that game had a major influence on the ball curving left or right.

I feel the same way.In the feature request forum is a similar topic.We appear to be in the minority.

• Abe likes this

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

#10 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Someone else posed this question the other week, in my experience the longer the club the more lie does appear to come into play, bear in mind that i'm talking tour pro here and i have no idea if beginner or tour pro are exposed to the same amount of effect.  On tour pro, hit a 3W from a sharp side hill lie and you will def see an effect, on short irons i don't really notice it.  It prob could and should be a bit more pronounced but nothing will change now as this game is over in terms of development.

With the minor things that seem slightly off in this game maybe it would be worth creating a poll to see if people would like something like side hill lies to have more effect on the shot.  Even though they are finished with this i'm sure a minor tweak could be made by the devs if it was minimal work on their part and not impact them on their current ventures, call it a favour to the community....too much to ask?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#11 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

I think people have gotten use to the arcadish basic math formulas of previous golf games where X amount slope = X amount deviation. I find this game prides itself in using realistic equations for their physic models. So I would guess that the effects of the slope in this game is probably closer to what you would see in real life.

• SebGOLO likes this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

Regarding physics and such..

I just wish we could get jmk59's wind model into PG1!

#13 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

So, among all this talk re: "no further development", I start the game up a few minutes ago, and... there's a smallish update!  Not tiny, tho...  Took a couple minutes to DL on my broadband connection.

I don't see anything obvious...  Anyone else figure out what this update was?

Went to Digital Storm and ordered me up a nice gaming machine :)

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

GeForce 970 GTX 4gig vid card

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

It's HERE!!  JNPG runs great with all the bells and whistles at max or close to it...  I still turn 3D render off for the swing, tho.

#14 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:44 AM

So, among all this talk re: "no further development", I start the game up a few minutes ago, and... there's a smallish update!  Not tiny, tho...  Took a couple minutes to DL on my broadband connection.

I don't see anything obvious...  Anyone else figure out what this update was?

I played a PGLS four player 9 hole stroke round.  It appeared to be smoother in terms of no stuttering and no lag, even when one of the players had a latency of 230ms throughout the round. Maybe the sync was improved on Steam servers.

#15 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

I feel the same way.In the feature request forum is a similar topic.We appear to be in the minority.

I am with you guys....  in my opinion, slope has little to no effect on ball direction, left or right.   Trust me, I know... I have been in the strangest situations due to my poor driving on some days.  Not really complaining though because for most situations, it is pretty easy to scramble in this game.   No matter where you are or type of slope, aim where you want your ball to go and hit.  

Any version of Links had it right and pretty "realistic"... not sure why this game didn't though.    

• Buck and Abe like this

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

@RobV:  I agree - if it's "there" in this game, it's too subtle and underdone I think.

• RobV likes this

#17 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

I don't remember when or why they changed the effect of sidehill lies but originally, at least during beta testing, the effect was pretty much spot on.  I would aim in the game as I would on the golf course and get the results I expected.  There was a reason they tamed it down - possibly a technical issue.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#18 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:06 AM

In my experience, the ball flight from a side-hill lie has always been affected.  It was once more pronounced than in the last few iterations of the game, but it still has some affect.  In my opinion, it should be closer to how it was, but it's not going to change.   I will suggest that it is more pronounced at Tour Pro level than at the other skill levels, but I'm not certain of that as I haven't played the other levels.

<_<

I've quoted myself only so that I can retract what I said.    :(

I ran into a a couple of situations in the past 2 nights where the severe side-slope should had an affect on ball flight, but it didn't have much, if any.  I know it was there originally, and I was pretty sure it was tamed down .... but wasn't aware it was "tamed down" to being non-existent!

• RobV likes this

#19 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

It does have an effect, but you just have to hit the snap dead on to see it .  Hitting the snap a hair off the other way you wouldn't notice it but hitting the snap the way the slope is, it is exaggerated. same with the wind in that direction. Well i find it so. 

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#20 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

I've quoted myself only so that I can retract what I said.    :(

I ran into a a couple of situations in the past 2 nights where the severe side-slope should had an affect on ball flight, but it didn't have much, if any.  I know it was there originally, and I was pretty sure it was tamed down .... but wasn't aware it was "tamed down" to being non-existent!

I'm telling you...  In the rough, fairway, bunkers... doesn't matter.    I don't recall slope impact has ever being in this game, to be honest.   In Links, you had the challenge of wind, lie and ground (rough, fairway, sand, etc)... where to aim, where to aim?     In PG, just the wind and ground.    Scrambling in this game is pretty easy.   

• Buck likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users