Photo

3d grass in Scioto - how did you do this Rob?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pgatom

pgatom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

hi guys, well after through diggin and diggin through forums and studying all the tutorials from you advanced course creators. Im finally making headway with my first real creation:  TPC Eagletrace golf club in florida.  using lidar and overlay. Wow was that a learn curve!   but got there and in the planting and slight sclulting phaze. so firstly id like to thank all the gurus on here for there tutorials. how you even work this stuff out I don't know .. but thx. From moving cars / trains birds - to k11 and dp Roberts texture mastery. Dogz n MRose GaryN Scot P and of course MikeJ..   and many more of you whom I have read and learned from. - a massive thx

And just when I think im getting there.:

THIS: Dp Roberts and 3d grass!! really! ….. So mind blown again.

ok question time , -  as im suprized this isn't being explained or talked about?

Mr Roberts -  how are we doing this grass.? Did you buy an asset from the asset store. ? if so which one?

ive plaved around with the stock grass and playing with the edits page for color and size. but hard to get a nice thick coverage, and short grass.  or short enough grass.

is this how this even works or am I missing a patch or a download.for course forge?

I did notice that if I shrink my grass too short say '.1'  it disappears, and is under the mesh? IE the plant is under the mesh.

this is just stock painting grass. edited.

any help suggestions would be welcomed.

fyi: also in game I see 3d draw for grass,  in graphic settings....  does that mean I have the latest update?  played Scioto 3d no probs the other day.  I also dloaded the patchfrom this site  but done nothing with it yet - should I install that?

I guess my question is - How did you do the grass Rob. :) 

any help would be much appreciated.

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

Please go read all 200+ posts in this thread and if you still have a question about the 3D grass, I will try and answer it.

http://www.perfectpa...-beta-release/#

TLDR - tutorial should be coming SOON
  • Justin9926 likes this

#3 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:28 AM

Remember Eagle Trace on Sega Genesis WAY back in the day LOL.  Look fwd. to the release.

#4 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:30 AM

Remember Eagle Trace on Sega Genesis WAY back in the day LOL.  Look fwd. to the release.

Eagle Trace was also rendered for L2K3. A very nice rendition.

#5 pgatom

pgatom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Yes funnily I own the golf academy there..(golf pro by trade) - so its where I play. I want to get some home practice in on the simulator once it’s built._ just hope its Up to par when it comes out- doing my best to keep up with the crazy good designers on here. - not easy. It’s not looking bad though but a ways to go. Whole buch of houses that’s for sure,, so that’s interesting? So far so good though performance wise. I designed a few good courses on Tgc 2 n 1. That got some recognition in there day (fictional). (Only had Xbox then as my pc couldn’t handle match) ... but got a proper pc earlier this year .. n unity and haven’t looked back. At the end of the day it just seems that the possibilities are limitless. Been following this form since the beginning. And was just blown away once got playing. I think when I first saw dogs train and later moving cars at a Brit course (can’t remember which one) and one at chambers bay, And then the overlay method came out n I was like ok- this is serious now. I need to study lidar techniques , etc etc — a lot.. and you def have to dig for the gems of advise. But got there just about. Still so much to learn though - I’m defiantly newbie.

Anyway replying to Rob - lol — yeah thx rob.. I wasn’t signed in so of course I could only see some posts not others.. when I got your message I’m like ‘ wats he talking about 200 post’? .... signing in helped !
- well I’ve read them all. Dloded the turf and played around. I’m having some issues for sure. So looking forward to that tutorial!

Here’s wat I worked out: perhaps you can let me know where I’m right /wrong

1) Finding it very hard to get short n dense. The prob is density on short grass. - I guessed at your tip of super wide something.. and dl a pic of grass blades put on a transparent background and then experimented with image size - super wide aspect ratio. Did not really work lol

2) density looks good at 6 and maxing out fall off and in But seems to effect performance. I have gt1080 so should be fine. And play scioto 3d no probs.

3). Are just realized something your keeping the fall of dist fairly close. I can get grass short n dense but not with long fall off. So that maybe the catch I gotta compromise. Prob for me at Eagle overlay is that my overlay textures were very pale. Which I boosted with tint. But as soon as I ad add 3d to spline it it shows the redraw in the dist without my tints. So looks off. Or not as good. - is this why the old fashioned tex method may be more suited. ? As this requires painting over ? Played with that too? .. I get the triangles too. Is this what you guys are talking about with duplicating splines Etc. I got lost in the science at that point.

4) I thought this tool it could be an interesting way to create heather or a hedge. 3d grass in certain places via additional splines. Essentially the tool is like an array creator it seems. So you can plug in any tex cut out with some interesting effects and wind like speed tree trees.

5) I read the manual, and it seems there a lot of possibilities, Ball trails in the rough. ? Would love to see your full 3d material in unity final settings are , I guess will wait for the tutorial. Get a bit lost on the using normal maps. And height density maps etc and - camera layers as talked about in the turf manual.

6). Lastly - I guess my question is - unless we can get the 3d rough to go out as far as one can or should see, what’s the diff in that and planting grass. (Wind effects) ? Procedure? It’s autimatically filling the whole spline mesh? Planting count limitations? I guess right.

7) lastly lastly - quick question - overlay method all looks good I think. But on my greens I have a bare circle around the cups. Showing the lidar texture again without tint. Is there a fix for this. Unfort my lidar Color was paler Than I wanted. So I tinted it a bit to get the look I wanted. But shows at the cups. By plan is to just use normal tex on greens .. am I missing something or is that the only solution.?

Here are some links to my experiments. Please don’t be two harsh I’m learning, (k-11 might have me thrashed for poor texture procedures lol) but open to lots of advise help, points in the right direction. ;)

3d grass experiments
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Screen shot of bare patch on east race overlay green tinted :
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users