6 replies to this topic

#1 slammin

slammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

I wanted to comment on how beautiful Pebble Beach looks for the 2019 U.S. Open. I love the tall grasses around the bunkers. It gives a real links feel to the course. And the new and refreshing camera angles that Fox is giving makes the viewing experience feel like your seeing the course for the first time. It is a beauty.

• Buck, Charles and Jasonopith like this

#2 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:38 AM

I totally agree, the grounds crew did a fantastic job in getting this course to portray what the US Open should be all about. A true test of ability and endurance. Pebble is the crown jewel of all the wonderful courses available for play in the Monterey Area.

• Charles and slammin like this

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:37 PM

The green fee is astronomical but it was worth every last cent. So many things never live up to the hype you put on them, but my day at Pebble absolutely met and even exceeded expectations. It's as close to a perfect golf course as I've ever seen.

The interesting thing to me is a lot of people think it is overrated because of the reputation of the seaside holes cover up for a bunch of forgettable ones inland, but I didn't feel this way. I actually found a small sense of relief when I got to 11, 12, 13 and even played a bit better, because I thought the sheer intensity of playing 6-7-8-9-10 was almost too much.... I think you need that ebb and flow. And I didn't think they were bad holes either; I quite liked the tee shots on 13 and 15, and 14 is just an awesome (and HARD) par-five.

I also couldn't believe how smooth and true the greens were. I'd always heard that poa annua could be very spotty, especially during certain times of year. But I was there in late January and they were superb putting surfaces. All of us in my group made some long putts.

PdeF6g2.jpg?1

• RobC and slammin like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 slammin

slammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Hi Matt. I used to live in Southern California and made a few trips up north, but never made it to Pebble. Did they have the long grasses around the bunkers when you played the course or was it planted for the Open only? I love that look. Thank you.

#5 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

No, the rough was actually cut quite short and uniform, and very playable. It was late January so it was being set up for the pro-am.

It's just as well because I fought a hook most of the day and did not shoot a very good score.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#6 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

It looks quite good in here also :P.

aG0m29R.png

ove4lSC.png

• Buck likes this

#7 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

These are some sexy clothes you put on that terrain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users