14 replies to this topic

#1 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

Firstly, I wanted to say that this is such a promising start. PG is already my favourite golf game and it's still very early with so many faults. The feel of the game is right and that's majorly important.

Let's start with the positives;
* the courses look amazing and load very quickly
* the ball trajectory is truly beautiful and very realistic
* the online mechanics are seamless and it's great to be able play online straight away
* course aesthetics are wow (trees, water, sand, etc)
* penal swing even with assists at max
* in game chat is excellent

Ok now for the negatives and problems I have found so far after some 600 - 700 holes;
*the ball physics on the ground are unrealistic (sideways bounces and roll)
*the first bounce on fairway is particularly dead
*the ball reaction to sand is none existent (should either plug or sit, definitely not roll around in the bunker)
*golfer always looks like her is hovering or photoshoped onto the screen
*golfer does not alter stance for sidehill lies, half legged in bunkers sometimes
*golfers grip looks false for next gen graphics
*seems to be very little penalty for shots from rough or sand
*option to change from full to chip/splash is clunky.. Needs to be one click
*not much information regarding the distance a chip or splash will go... Difficult to judge
*rain effect does not look next gen
*storm effect left me with lightning orbs all over the course, with new ones every strike
*The rough textures, especially close up are not good
*blend between water and land is too perfect, needs to take a lesson from bunker edging
*no consistency with regard to spin... Some perfect the shots spin some dont
*in multiplayer would be nice to have coloured discs showing on overhead of all players for position of others balls
*putting is very simplistic
*putts set off at speed and slow to nothing
*no puff of sand on bunker shots
*new camera modes would be appreciated
*options to design own golfer and outfit
*on occasion I have had random red and sometimes green lines running through the green and this is with green grid turned off
*green grid needs to be smaller to allow more precise reading
*option to make the swing gauge smaller
*option to move the screen items to preferred position (like links 2003)
*more shot options with distances set for that type of shot (eg flop shot with a pw will max at 80 yards) otherwise it's partly guess work
*sometimes follow shot will go under the ground, under the mesh when approaching a slope... Very surreal
*eventually we would like some basic stats.. Like best round on a particular course, something to beat etc, eventually leading birdie percentages etc
*skin money in £'s as well as dollars.
*currently I can play through trees without any impact... No deviation to the ball

I'm hoping my comments to will help shape the golf game we all want.
I'm happy to elaborate on any comment if required

Regards

Ollybobbles

#2 ArisFuser

ArisFuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

Very good post. Share the same feelings.

#3 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

Lols @ the water to land thing - has there ever been a game that has ever managed to sort that out? will there ever be one?? and how???

If you know of any game that has had a go at sorting that out I'd love to see some screenshots posted here - it might help the devs too.

Though I bet all the devs are locked in cubicles after seeing that list :D  :lol: I just imagined that sound the lock makes in the toilets going off x50 HAGHAGHAGAHGAHGA!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

'ollybobbles' loved that name the 1st time I saw it, gotta love it more now aintcha - nice roundup, though I sense u might have stolen a few of those, some don't count and some are pure GED ARDA TARRRRN - dollars to pounds pfffft, how about euros and not the currency of just 1 poxy lil island   :P

#4 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

The game of golf was invented on this poxy lil island, so £ please..............................

I believe the idea of no yardages for fully lofted, punched or side spin shots is deliberate. One has to go out and practice all the variants. A practice bunker, rough and green area would be useful though. 

Ian (Bilbad)

#5 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

not for much longer , lols

they will get away sooner or later - the younger generation want anyway and that' s all that counts  :lol:

#6 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

The game of golf was invented on this poxy lil island, so £ please..............................

I believe the idea of no yardages for fully lofted, punched or side spin shots is deliberate. One has to go out and practice all the variants. A practice bunker, rough and green area would be useful though. 

Ian (Bilbad)

New Practice ranges are almost there. Mike stated that in the steam discussions. There is a bit of fine-tuning needed as they want you to be able to drop the ball whereever you want it. So if you could just wait a bit longer, you will get almost everything you ask for if it is possible to do :)

Who cares...

#7 DerRentner

DerRentner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Spiele ich Frontspin läuft der Ball zurück,  spiele Backspin läuft er weiter ....kann das sein das es da ein problem gibt???^

I play Frontspin the ball come Back, I play Backspin he continues ..

#8 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Great post olly, you listed many good observations and all good things that hopefully will be addressed at some point or another.  

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

Firstly, I wanted to say that this is such a promising start. PG is already my favourite golf game and it's still very early with so many faults. The feel of the game is right and that's majorly important.

Let's start with the positives;
* the courses look amazing and load very quickly
* the ball trajectory is truly beautiful and very realistic
* the online mechanics are seamless and it's great to be able play online straight away
* course aesthetics are wow (trees, water, sand, etc)
* penal swing even with assists at max
* in game chat is excellent

Ok now for the negatives and problems I have found so far after some 600 - 700 holes;
*the ball physics on the ground are unrealistic (sideways bounces and roll)

This is a by product of the spin axis on the ball and the angle of the ground it lands on. I think it;s the opposite of unrealistic

*the first bounce on fairway is particularly dead

You can turn up the firmess settings in game options

*the ball reaction to sand is none existent (should either plug or sit, definitely not roll around in the bunker)

Yes could be better, next update will have altered sand physics

*golfer always looks like her is hovering or photoshoped onto the screen

Depends on lighting and whether lie make golfer shadow appear in enough detail, golfer shading could be better

*golfer does not alter stance for sidehill lies, half legged in bunkers sometimes

Golfer alters stance up to 10 degrees after that we have issues. We have lots of owrk to do on the avatar

*golfers grip looks false for next gen graphics

See above

*seems to be very little penalty for shots from rough or sand

There is a power and spin penalty from rough, pick shots from sand currently have no penalty but then that's the way it is IRL if the shot is executed well. We might add more penalty for pick shots from sand if snap is missed.

*option to change from full to chip/splash is clunky.. Needs to be one click

I kindof like the way the shot center works without cluttering up the screen with too many buttons

*not much information regarding the distance a chip or splash will go... Difficult to judge

By design - practice :)
*rain effect does not look next gen

Agreed it sucks.
*storm effect left me with lightning orbs all over the course, with new ones every strike

agree its bugged and sucks

*The rough textures, especially close up are not good

upgrading courses with higher res rough textures atm

*blend between water and land is too perfect, needs to take a lesson from bunker edging

not sure what we can do here as often the grass goes straight into water on real courses

*no consistency with regard to spin... Some perfect the shots spin some dont

Minor differences in lie, wind, power, spin, and landing area all contribute to landing spin reaction. This is a testament of the non 'pre canned' physics we use unlike other golf games
*in multiplayer would be nice to have coloured discs showing on overhead of all players for position of others balls

Good idea

*putting is very simplistic

its easy to get close not so easy to hole out, can it be improved? Yes

*putts set off at speed and slow to nothing

try playing with stimp set to 12 - its better.

*no puff of sand on bunker shots

will be added for sure

*new camera modes would be appreciated

we will add more cameras as time goes on as well as dynamic switching

*options to design own golfer and outfit

Not sure how we will approach golfer customisation atm

*on occasion I have had random red and sometimes green lines running through the green and this is with green grid turned off

its a bug

*green grid needs to be smaller to allow more precise reading

coming in an update in the near future. meanwhile you can use the console F8 and type in gr_cellwidth 1

*option to make the swing gauge smaller

possibly in the future
*option to move the screen items to preferred position (like links 2003)\\

Yep i like this

*more shot options with distances set for that type of shot (eg flop shot with a pw will max at 80 yards) otherwise it's partly guess work

practice makes perfect, the unknown shot distanced are by design you have to practice to dial it in.

*sometimes follow shot will go under the ground, under the mesh when approaching a slope... Very surreal

bug but hard to fix and happens rarely

*eventually we would like some basic stats.. Like best round on a particular course, something to beat etc, eventually leading birdie percentages etc

yes like this - stats will be in final version

*skin money in £'s as well as dollars.

what about euros and yen etc. Where do you stop?

*currently I can play through trees without any impact... No deviation to the ball

Tree trunks and big branches currently deflect the ball but the rest should have an impact agreed

I'm hoping my comments to will help shape the golf game we all want.
I'm happy to elaborate on any comment if required

Many thanks great feedback and i did my best to respond accordingly - Mike

Regards

Ollybobbles

• Perculator and scoops100 like this

#10 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Mike,

Thank you for such a detailed (and quick) response. This is much appreciated and will, for sure, make this game stand out from the rest (the fact that we are actually listened to is a real first).

The responses you have given are all accepted and I look forward to future iterations of the game as we move through this process together.

I will continue to provide constructive feedback as I play (good and bad).

Once again thanks for listening, and most importantly, thanks for a great game.

Regards

Ollybobbles

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#11 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

great set of answers - and what about the effort it took too!!!

don't worry MJ - u have pretty much covered yourself now, any such repeat of these issues you can simply do this:

I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave some forum moments ago *insert link here*

;)

#12 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

The Golf Club does a fine job creating a natural terrain near ponds and creeks. If you view this video, you'll see what I mean (esp. around the 10 minute mark). Just concentrate on the areas of water.

http://thegolfclubga...ng-custom-hole/

PG looks like 2003 in this regard. Not 2015.

#13 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

Mike,

There is a possible solution to the issue of currencies used in the game. If you make an option switch (as time goes on and you have many more parameters to tailor the player experience down the line) it should be possible to reference the user's Windows set-up (and I'm sure with similar code, Mac and Linux) to find what the players preferred currency is by their location or keyboard language. Using that as your alternative, the game can retain the current US dollar option, or be switchable into their 'home' currency.

Just an idea... but obviously so cosmetic to be assured of a very low priority at present.

Mike

#14 Billh491

Billh491

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

By design - practice  :)

I see that this is the way you want to go with this game.  I can only say that I would like to have this option it will make the game more fun for me. 

​Case in point the other EA golf game on Steam made a design decision to not have 3 click.  Well they lost me I tried their game and did not enjoy playing with a controller or a mouse. 

#15 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:26 AM

Yes, admitted that water does look fine the way it is blended and translucent where the ground rises up near the surface - perhaps something to go on there PG??

But as for those bunkers and the 'presets' - well i'm getting a bit of a dragon reputation here so I will leave the CF boys to rip it a new shiner because it's open territory isn't it boys.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users