#1 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

Don't know how many out there have high end machines with lots of HD space but imo goal of PG is to include as many people as possible, not drive them away!
Two things are doing that imo.
1. This 3DG for starters is eating up my FPS where maybe there's only about 3 or so that are playable (above 20 fps). Low fps may cause problems in match play (does it?). Anyway focusing on high end players won't draw new players in. I'd rather have a smooth running game than a pretty game!
2. Imo there's no reason for courses over 350Mb. I personally don't load any courses over that size for the main reason is I only have a 250Gb SSD. The way I look at it if a designer can't stay below that figure then he shouldn't be designing (strong words, i know, but I've seen excellent courses WAY lower than that!
Anyway just my take. I don't a person should have to go out and buy a new computer just to keep playing this excellent game!

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

Pappy, any thought of upgrading your SSD?

FPS is one issue as GPU upgrades can be significant and you might also be CPU constrained, but SSD prices are rock rock bottom.

I popped a basic 512GB SSD into a PS4 for a family member the other day and the thing was like $60

#3 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

Just the opposite for me. I'm totally into the 3D courses and are replacing the old ones just as fast as the 3D replacements are released. Not much to replacing a drive with a larger one, and especially with an SSD.

• Buck likes this

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

I'd echo Parboy above.

I haven't been using many 3DG courses as I don't currently have the GPU for it, but I do plan to rectify that before the end of the year and ultimately I think the progress should keep going forward.

Also, with how uncertain the PG future might be, I really hope course designers might implement 3DG versions of their courses prior to losing interest and falling away.  We might be left with only this existing course library basically "forever" if PG comes to a total stop and interest dies.

#5 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

"The way I look at it if a designer can't stay below that figure then he shouldn't be designing"

Sorry fella, but thats a shocking comment that is. (Are you really implying that people like skunky shouldn't be designing courses?) 😮 Its a good job most people dont look at it the same way you do!
3dg framerates are as good if not better as non 3dg courses by the way. You could always turn the graphics details down a bit if you'd rather have a smooth running game rather tban a pretty game.
  • Perculator likes this

#6 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

If a person is truly a PC Gamer they don't try and use low-end computers for demanding video games. That pretty much sums it up, IMHO.

• Tresclub and scajjr29 like this

#7 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

Good point Pappy but I agree with Lee.  I have been a gamer most of my life which has cost me mucho bucks.  Saying that was it worth it?  DAMN RIGHT!

• LeazesNDR likes this

#8 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

Here is the super simple recipe for making a course with a small file size AND great frame rates:

• Use no items what-so-ever.  Just use tee, fairway and green splines with no trees or any other item. Its just that easy.

In my opinion, if every course was like this, I doubt it would be helpful attracting new players.

The golf course design topic is fairly complicated I don’t really feel like I have the experience to say a whole lot.  I will say this though, in the 3D world of Unity, everything has a potential consequence.  Getting a big landscape like a golf course playable on an older computer doesn’t happen without a bunch of effort.  You constantly rob from Peter to pay Paul and by the time you get to hole 18 its easy for both to be FLAT broke.

Just as an example, in my latest build I traded file size for frame rates.   I couldn’t have a small files size and playable frame rates on a course that is covered in trees.  It’s a real course that I use to play and I wanted to make it in my mind’s eye.  So, meshes were combined and files size grew.  In the end, I chose to eliminate most building structures to help with file size.

Which brings up another opinion that I would like to share...  the golf course designers don’t make a dime on these course.  In fact, its not hard to spend $50 – 100 (or more) on a build.  They don’t do it to make money, they do it because they enjoy doing it.  If they aren’t making the course the way THEY WANT TO, then they might not be making it at all.

• Ian, Perculator, balaceanca81 and 1 other like this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#9 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

i have upgraded 3 times so far to keep up with this. and will do it again when the time comes

now thats coming from a guy that lives off a disability check for the entire time this game has been out.

it is the only game i play other then other golf titles. guess you just gotta have the love for the best you can afford

when the time comes. the 3dg courses are a big plus and will always download them to play. as for hard drive space

i only have a 240 gb ssd and a 1Tb harddrive i use the ssd for a boot drive and it only contains windows everything else goes on the 

the bigger drive and i have plenty of space for all the courses i can get. so keep em coming,lol

• LeazesNDR and DennisHarris like this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#10 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:22 AM

i have upgraded 3 times so far to keep up with this. and will do it again when the time comes

now thats coming from a guy that lives off a disability check for the entire time this game has been out.

it is the only game i play other then other golf titles. guess you just gotta have the love for the best you can afford

when the time comes. the 3dg courses are a big plus and will always download them to play. as for hard drive space

i only have a 240 gb ssd and a 1Tb harddrive i use the ssd for a boot drive and it only contains windows everything else goes on the 

the bigger drive and i have plenty of space for all the courses i can get. so keep em coming,lol

I have upgraded my PC 3 times since 2015.  Granted 2 of those times were to give the old PC to my Grand kids.  I intend to do so again in 2020.  I do so on my Social Security check.  So I'm fixed income also.   I float a loan to do so, not the greatest idea, but one that serves a purpose.  I can understand pappy and how he feels about the game.  That said, my enjoyment in retirement is imho more important.  I will sacrifice Cable TV (not internet) to make ends meet.    :)  

• Abe likes this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#11 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:21 AM

I had a whole bunch of strategies on saving money for ISP and Digital TV services but edited them out.  Just too many variables in each person's life.

Having said that. Just try to cut out any over-the-top TV and Internet costs if at all possible. That generalization can apply to just about anyone.  The annual savings could be substantial.

Whatever annual savings come about from the above basic strategy can now be applied to PC upgrades or a new computer - even if it is has to be on credit.  An excellent gaming computer enhances everything you do with it.   Just don't let someone else use it if at all possible!   <_< 

NOTE: Remember to backup your System on a monthly basis. Protecting your System and data takes an hour or less*. I do this after the second Tuesday of each month or whenever I install or remove a program.

* Depending on how much storage space is used. i.e. 200 GB on an Internal HDD being transferred to an external USB 3.0 HDD can take 45 minutes to an hour (System Image Back). An Internal SSD to an external USB 3.0 SSD can take about 10 to 15 minutes (System Image Backup).

#12 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:53 AM

A good design tip someone mentioned is to turn the satellite image back to compressed after using Truecolor.  Seems to bring file sizes down a bit.

• Joe Habiger, Jugador and Dropzone73 like this

#13 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:59 AM

I piecemealed my current setup. If you are patient, you can end up with something pretty decent that way. I bought the monitor first and then a CPU later that had a pretty hot video card already in it; found a mob that put new guts in an old case and it was very reasonable.

I pretty much got it for the sole purpose of running PG better.

• Abe likes this

VG2 • PG â€¢ 2k21 â€¢ 2019 â€¢ Links â€¢ GBC â€¢ JN5

#14 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

If a person is truly a PC Gamer they don't try and use low-end computers for demanding video games. That pretty much sums it up, IMHO.

Probably one of the silliest comments I've ever read on these forums...  what is your definition of a "truly a PC Gamer"?   I have built countless of my own PCs since Win 3.1, and turning back time even more, Commadore 64, Sega, Intellivision, Atari, playstation, Xbox consoles..  Guess I am not a true PC Gamer...  Ha!  Too funny..  

I agree with Pappy in a sense that there are 3DG courses that absolutely kill my FPS on my lower end machine.  oh lord, I am not a True PC Gamer because I won't upgrade at this time for this unfinished game.... ha!   

I do not agree with his comments that designers should adhere to players with low end machines and not design how what they want to, I can only say thank you time and time again, for them giving us more play time for PG.   For me, I simply do not play them.   I may download 3DG courses and give it a try, but if it lags to hell, it gets deleted and onto the next course.

• Abe likes this

#15 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

#16 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

heres my take, i think 3dgrass and the overlay method ,are the only 2 things that have made me want the continue to make courses for this game,and both have actually made the FPS better than the previous versions.its too bad we lost the reflective water patch,because that fixed the flashing problem with dynamic sky on.and if we still had it we wouldent have to bury the 3d grass like we do now,and it looks so much better not buried.FPS can be increased dramaticly by turning render distance down to 500 and turning of dynamic sky,if you cant play the course after doing these two things you need too think about upgrading your system.
  • LeazesNDR, J_Schollmeyer and Stingreye like this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#17 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

As a designer, I like pushing the program to the limit and trying out new techniques,,,,this is what keeps the designers going

Like when Da Vinci started to use backrounds to get depth to their paintings...a jump up from the 2d portraits before him

For computers,...yeah there is a hit,... but upgrade.  Thats why people upgraded from links 2003 to PP

Apple is announcing new shit  today,  new faster chips in all there stuff

So as for us designers...I may do another course this winter depending on my time, I will work on improving my bunker technique even more and to push unity to the limit.

Im sure the 3d grass people will continue to tweek their grass to blend i better.   The overly technique guys will do the same

Maybe PG2 will come out.  But the designers want to experiment and come out with better courses , not go backwards

Dr Rob

• Arsam, LeazesNDR, J_Schollmeyer and 4 others like this

#18 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

"heres my take, i think 3dgrass and the overlay method ,are the only 2 things that have made me want the continue to make courses for this game"

Here's my take.... your efforts and that of the others who have made and converted the courses to the 3DG have rekindled my interest in the game. Thanks very much, your "art" is much appreciated.  :)

• Abe likes this

#19 WeedWhacker141

WeedWhacker141

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Well put Davy.  Much thanks to all the designers and the improved techniques they come up with.

• LeazesNDR likes this

#20 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Probably one of the silliest comments I've ever read on these forums...  what is your definition of a "truly a PC Gamer"?

RobV.   I think you've interpreted many posts over the years as being silly.   :lol:   I know I have! ;)

A True PC Gamer (or PC enthusiast) is a person who has chosen to play High Demand video games in whatever genre. They are definitely experienced in one major area of computer technology: They read the minimum specs required of the computer to play the games. Then they purchase or build a Gaming PC with components that far exceed minimum specs.

I think you knew that but didn't quiet understand how I worded my response.  It's all good, mate.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users