80 replies to this topic

#1 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:04 PM

Yet another swing device for the gamer to use. Just wish JNPG would jump on the train. This one is for WGT golf.

https://www.phigolfwgt.com/

https://www.youtube....h?v=KTzn1EKLJvQ

https://www.youtube....h?v=qMX2BBC0LVA

https://www.amazon.c...ob_title_sports

Wikibuy saves you $40.00 on amazon

E6 has converted the tittle x to there own device.

https://trugolf.com/...e-swing-studio/

#2 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

Phigolf and WGT @ St Andrews

https://www.youtube....h?v=qcoN7_xo8uc

Phigolf software and pebble beach

https://www.youtube....h?v=jJFHGajVblo

#3 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

I've had the Phigolf swing device for 4 days and its a blast.  Its a swing device to replace the mouse or keyboard.  Definitely not a full blown simulator so don't be confused, this reviewer is not insinuating this.  What i am saying is I shoot bogey golf in real life and on the Phigolf system a tad better but not much.  The distances are pretty accurate overall. I notice less of a hook or slice, but i'm sure that is due to not having to make ball contact.  It took a day to figure out some of the nuances to the device.  Occasional swing error not registering, this is due to a slight pause in my natural swing.  Once i corrected that, i have very little errors.  I just don't have the room for a full blown sim @ my place.    That's basically why I'm not playing JNPG.   Zmax ruined that when I played against him while he was playing on his simulator.  I just felt like he was actually golfing and I was just his caddy, LOL.  I bought a new house and had to make a choice, room for a sim or  27 holes of free golf in my backyard. Real golf won out.

I just wish JNPG had such a device, the graphics and realism is much better then WGT.   I would pay $20 monthly to participate in weekly season of play, plus pickup games.   I stream my phone to the big screen and graphics are decent.

Takeaway is that its a blast to swing and play, no dial a distance with the mouse.  I do believe that most people would switch from a mouse to a swing device or at least add it to their game system.  Phigolf  and WGT has its own courses  and has  tournaments setup.  For $1.99 a month you get full access to all WGT courses.  Online multiplayer is available in WGT also.  

Video of 3 holes @ Pebble Beach, you'll see the swing error when i pause at the stop.

https://www.youtube....h?v=U-nclBcQ_2E

#4 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

if only WGT had bought jnpg instead of TM....

• balaceanca81 and JTee1 like this

#5 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

JT,

message Jhawkins.

http://www.perfectpa...ric-simulators/

#6 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

I've had the Phigolf swing device for 4 days and its a blast.  Its a swing device to replace the mouse or keyboard.  Definitely not a full blown simulator so don't be confused, this reviewer is not insinuating this.  What i am saying is I shoot bogey golf in real life and on the Phigolf system a tad better but not much.  The distances are pretty accurate overall. I notice less of a hook or slice, but i'm sure that is due to not having to make ball contact.  It took a day to figure out some of the nuances to the device.  Occasional swing error not registering, this is due to a slight pause in my natural swing.  Once i corrected that, i have very little errors.  I just don't have the room for a full blown sim @ my place.    That's basically why I'm not playing JNPG.   Zmax ruined that when I played against him while he was playing on his simulator.  I just felt like he was actually golfing and I was just his caddy, LOL.  I bought a new house and had to make a choice, room for a sim or  27 holes of free golf in my backyard. Real golf won out.

I just wish JNPG had such a device, the graphics and realism is much better then WGT.   I would pay $20 monthly to participate in weekly season of play, plus pickup games.   I stream my phone to the big screen and graphics are decent.

Takeaway is that its a blast to swing and play, no dial a distance with the mouse.  I do believe that most people would switch from a mouse to a swing device or at least add it to their game system.  Phigolf  and WGT has its own courses  and has  tournaments setup.  For $1.99 a month you get full access to all WGT courses.  Online multiplayer is available in WGT also.  

Video of 3 holes @ Pebble Beach, you'll see the swing error when i pause at the stop.

https://www.youtube....h?v=U-nclBcQ_2E

Thanks for posting this JTee.  Does the club itself  have roughly the same mass and feel of a real golf club in your hands?  I'm just wondering if they've got it weighted such that it does.  

I noticed multiple times, it appeared as though your downswing animation was stuttering and slowing down and stopping at impact and when that happened it appeared that you didn't get the carry I thought the swing would have produced.   For example  What's happening when that occurs?  For example, that driver you hit off the 11th tee, the animation stopped for a good second right at the moment of impact, and you only got 209 yards out of what otherwise looked like a good swing.

Your video does a good job of illustrating what I find to be WGT's greatest weakness, and that is the matrix of photographs from which  it is constructed.  The game code has to select and display the closest picture to where your ball rests on the course and then put your golfer in the appropriate spot in that picture.  The results are that there is no familiar swing camera in most cases, other than off the tee.   The golfer can vary from 3 feet right in front of you, to 25 feet off to the left front to 12 feet to the right front.  It winds up watering down the perspective and taking a good bit of the immersion out of it.  I'd love to see how well the Phigolf system could work in the JNPG environment.  I imagine it would be my method of choice, and it would always have the same swing camera perspective.

• Buck and JTee1 like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:47 PM

Really really cool - thx for bringing our attention to it..

Man is it maddening..

This would be an AMAZING device to have integrated into PG1/2

I would get more interested in trying it, but I really just don't dig WGT due to the offset angles (needed for how they do "photo real" graphics)

• JTee1 likes this

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

Your video does a good job of illustrating what I find to be WGT's greatest weakness, and that is the matrix of photographs from which  it is constructed.  The game code has to select and display the closest picture to where your ball rests on the course and then put your golfer in the appropriate spot in that picture.  The results are that there is no familiar swing camera in most cases, other than off the tee.   The golfer can vary from 3 feet right in front of you, to 25 feet off to the left front to 12 feet to the right front.  It winds up watering down the perspective and taking a good bit of the immersion out of it. 

It's interesting to me that they haven't rectified this over time by simply doing more and more photographs, perhaps captured with drones/software control to greatly accelerate the process.

Like you - this is *the* thing that kills WGT for me.

• JTee1 likes this

#9 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

The device looks neat. Would be neat to have it for PG. But as far as playing over on World Greed Tour I would pass. I played for a couple of years over there till PG came out. Never looked back. Sure it's free to play if you use the starter clubs and rock ball they give you. But if you're wanting to shoot tournaments and place in anything be prepared to blow through some money. You can spend a couple of hundred dollars on clubs over there really fast. Heck a few of my friends that played there were spending anywhere from $100 to $150 a month on golf balls. I see their top-of-the-line ball over there is costing $10.50 for three. And if you hit that in the water or out of bounds it's bye-bye. And they do wear out. I think if I remember right I could shoot 2 18-hole rounds and one nine-hole round on one ball. 

• JTee1 likes this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#10 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

The device looks neat. Would be neat to have it for PG. But as far as playing over on World Greed Tour I would pass. I played for a couple of years over there till PG came out. Never looked back. Sure it's free to play if you use the starter clubs and rock ball they give you. But if you're wanting to shoot tournaments and place in anything be prepared to blow through some money. You can spend a couple of hundred dollars on clubs over there really fast. Heck a few of my friends that played there were spending anywhere from $100 to $150 a month on golf balls. I see their top-of-the-line ball over there is costing $10.50 for three. And if you hit that in the water or out of bounds it's bye-bye. And they do wear out. I think if I remember right I could shoot 2 18-hole rounds and one nine-hole round on one ball. 

Yes I played WGT for several years also.  Never agreed with the buying of performance balls or clubs.  I dont think i paid over $200 for years of play there.  It definitely pales in comparison to PG 4 sure

I've hit quite a few in the water with Phigolf and still have them.  From everything i've read its a no performance enhancing environment for phigolf.   JNPG is the best in realism and graphics imo. But I've always loved swing motion all the way back to wii tiger woods.  I mounted the controller to a club to play. I had vaulted ceilings then.  I do think once someone tries the motion swing its pure muscle memory and some subtle nuances with the device to wrap your head around.  I just wish both options were there for us all.  I just get bored with mouse play anymore.

Biggest issue i see is everyone wants to play for free.  No business will survive on that model.  The forum is full of complaints on the costs to play all golf games.  JNPG, TGC, WGT.  At some point the game price won't cover the cost anymore.  If they're making money who would walk away.  JNPG went where the profit is and sold to the highest bidder.  Who could blame them!  That's why i bought my house on 27 holes of golf and no fee to play.  But my HOA covers the maintaining of the course and pro shop, so nothing is really free.

Currently $1.99 a month to play all courses and tournaments with nothing to buy. 

#11 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for posting this JTee.  Does the club itself  have roughly the same mass and feel of a real golf club in your hands?  I'm just wondering if they've got it weighted such that it does.  

I noticed multiple times, it appeared as though your downswing animation was stuttering and slowing down and stopping at impact and when that happened it appeared that you didn't get the carry I thought the swing would have produced.   For example  What's happening when that occurs?  For example, that driver you hit off the 11th tee, the animation stopped for a good second right at the moment of impact, and you only got 209 yards out of what otherwise looked like a good swing.

Your video does a good job of illustrating what I find to be WGT's greatest weakness, and that is the matrix of photographs from which  it is constructed.  The game code has to select and display the closest picture to where your ball rests on the course and then put your golfer in the appropriate spot in that picture.  The results are that there is no familiar swing camera in most cases, other than off the tee.   The golfer can vary from 3 feet right in front of you, to 25 feet off to the left front to 12 feet to the right front.  It winds up watering down the perspective and taking a good bit of the immersion out of it.  I'd love to see how well the Phigolf system could work in the JNPG environment.  I imagine it would be my method of choice, and it would always have the same swing camera perspective.

Weight of my irons and the phigolf stick feels identical imo.  Never a big fan of wgt's pay to improve model, and the shot perspective either. But i find myself drawn to the swing play and authentic scores, without the real big duff shots i have on occasion in real golf. So ultimately I will shoot a little better then irl.  Its a blast imo and a more even playing field.  

• Buck and JTee1 like this

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:32 PM

I’ll bet it is totally awesome JT…

I am envious.

I always really loved the swing stick thing with the PS3 move and this sounds even better

It is a shame this is the only game it works with
  • JTee1 likes this

#13 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:41 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many would be willing to pay $200-250 a year to be able to use Phigolf or similar device with JNPG or something similar?

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many would be willing to pay $200-250 a year to be able to use Phigolf or similar device with JNPG or something similar?

I almost certainly would at this point.
I think it sounds really cool to be able to play that way again (with a swing device)

It'd be particularly awesome using it in PG - which is MILES better than WGT type offerings.

#15 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:19 AM

That would seem a little bit rich for something that's not a full blown simulator.  I'd be willing to go maybe $75 a year.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#16 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:25 AM

$20 a month= 70 cents a day, count me in. It would only get better w JNPG.
  • Buck likes this

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:43 AM

$20 a month= 70 cents a day, count me in. It would only get better w JNPG.

Trackman?
You listening?

Can enable access for a device like this?
Hell. Maybe make your own?

Be a great in between for those of us who will never have (or want necessarily) a full blown sim room with normal clubs/balls, etc
  • JTee1 likes this

#18 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:09 AM

That would seem a little bit rich for something that's not a full blown simulator.  I'd be willing to go maybe $75 a year.

It doesn't work like that.  The man hours required to make such a device work on a sim software might actually be the same or even more compared to integrating a normal launch monitor.  Besides, these devices will only cost a few hundred dollars so the users are actually saving thousands of dollars compared to guys that invest in full blown simulators.... :)

• JTee1 likes this

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:16 AM

Hold on..

I need to get my pajamas on because we've slipped into "dreaming" mode here..

• JTee1 likes this

#20 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

It doesn't work like that.  The man hours required to make such a device work on a sim software might actually be the same or even more compared to integrating a normal launch monitor.  Besides, these devices will only cost a few hundred dollars so the users are actually saving thousands of dollars compared to guys that invest in full blown simulators.... :)

You would certainly know a lot more about swing device implementation than I would zmax, but it would appear to me that the quality of implementation can be scaled.  For example, the Phigolf/WGT package that JTee bought comes in at $250, and then requires a subscription fee of $1.99 a month for access to all 24 WGT courses.  I'm sure the swing parameters cannot be as intricately modeled with Phigolf swing stick as a Trackman launch monitor, but it seems like they've scaled that lesser degree of modeling into their subscription model.

I would be willing accept the degree of modeling I'm seeing in the videos of the Phigolf/WGT swing stick for $1.99 a month, while recognizing that I'm not going to get as high a degree of fidelity with it as I would get with a Trackman launch monitor.  It may be that you're not considering WGT to be "sim software" and that's why I might be offering an apples to oranges analogy here?  BTW, I would agree that in comparison, WGT isn't in the same class as JNPG in terms of simulation quality.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users