https://linkscorner....c.php?f=3&t=207

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

Ha. Man that would be nice I will admit.

Not sure I see the interest in it from MS angle.

Bringing FS back has all kinds of potential....a golf game - hard to see it.

I would love it however!

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:13 AM

If they put out a designer with automatic seam-blending I'd be on board :)

• shimonko likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:18 AM

Fond memories of the Links series.

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:36 AM

Still playing every Friday night with family and friends.... courses are still being released and play nicely!   

• Tresclub likes this

#6 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Off-topic but any Links players remember if the sound editor could pull apart ssf soundscripts and save as wavs?

#7 GolfGuy72_2000

GolfGuy72_2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Links was awesome! And actually, to the point that was raised on the Links Corner forum, Microsoft had handed the rights of Flight Simulator off to Dovetail Games, and also handed some rights off to Lockheed Martin. If they can take back the FS franchise, they could do the same with Links. Not the likeliest, as I don't think the following for a golf game is as big at the moment as it is for flight sims (not that that's a huge market, either, but it's large enough to support quite a few third party developers who create aircraft, scenery and other paid add-ons). But it wouldn't be entirely out of the question. And if MS put the kind of tech behind a Links reboot like it appears they're putting behind the FS reboot (the preview videos look stunning), we'd have one amazing golf game in our hands!

#8 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

My account disappeared over there, appears they had an attack in August and he also changed software. Beware, you may have to create a new account if you haven't been there for several months.

Also, we did get Links back, this is the forum for it.

#9 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

Off-topic but any Links players remember if the sound editor could pull apart ssf soundscripts and save as wavs?

I seem to remember the .ssf decompressing itself prior to editing the files.  I also seem to remember that you had access to a directory of the sfx.  Not sure what the file format was.  .wav or .mp3 most likely.  Never really used the sound editor in Links but did root around in it. 

Anybody have Links installed that can take a look at the sound editor and try to edit a .ssf file to see what happens?

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#10 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

That sounds a bit promising - I was thinking of adding them to JNPG.

I lost my Links on a hard drive death, otherwise would check myself.

#11 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the SSF files are comprised of 1-channel (mono) or 2-channel (stereo) *.wav files.

• RobV likes this

#12 Shultzy

Shultzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:54 AM

Also, we did get Links back, this is the forum for it.

Isn't it dead now?

I watched this game for a while but it never delivered and went the way of small development team games.

Microsoft could totally produce a decent golf sim. We certainly need one.

#13 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

Some time ago i tried to get people's attention to JNPG over there. Just a thought and giving some background information on JNPG etc. As a long time Linkster i thought i could get some people on board to consider making The Big Switch. I got shot down pretty quickly by the hard core radicals over there and burned up before reaching the ground. :blink: -_- :lol:  

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#14 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

I seem to remember the .ssf decompressing itself prior to editing the files.  I also seem to remember that you had access to a directory of the sfx.  Not sure what the file format was.  .wav or .mp3 most likely.  Never really used the sound editor in Links but did root around in it. Anybody have Links installed that can take a look at the sound editor and try to edit a .ssf file to see what happens?

I have Links still installed Joe. What do I have to look for? 

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#15 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

Unfortunately i gave all my discs away when i got a mac. now i'm back on a pc.  but i do not think Links can match JNPG.

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#16 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'm going from memory here, as I don't have it installed either ....

1.  In the default folder, you will probably want to move the files from the \WAV sub-directory to somewhere else (back them up).

2. Under Options, Audio, choose Sound Script Editor and pick one of the user-made SSF files you have installed (UKTribute6.ssf, or similar).  

3. Choose edit script and then you'll likely have to wait 5-10 minutes (or more) while the SSF is extracted.  

4. Check the \WAV sub-directory and examine the files in the folder.  If memory serves, they will all be mono or stereo *.wav files.

The \WAV sub-directory holds the files that you can send to other players while playing multi-player matches, but I also believe it saves the files from a soundscript when you are editing it.  After you save the SSF, the files are zipped up back into the SSF, but the *.wav files are not deleted from the \WAV sub-directory.

#17 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

Just in the sound editor if you can, load in a soundscript (ssf extension - I can't recall which directory they're in) - and see if the individual files can be exported to wav files.

#18 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

As much as I would love to see a new Links game I just don't believe it will ever happen. I lost all my files when my old laptop died and tried playing the game again about two years ago but just couldn't play after playing JNPG as as good as Links 2003 was it just is not up to the modern games. There are a handful of players still playing at LSPN and private games but just not that many. It's sort of like playing The Show 2019 on PS4 and breaking out your PS2 and playing The Show 2006 where you play the old one five minutes and put it back in the box. Loved Links but sorry I don't think we will see a new on.
  • Buck likes this

#19 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

Well, never say never. Didn't think the Flight Simulator franchise would ever be resurrected and look what's happening there.

Microsoft did a great job with Links 2003. All it takes is one higher up with vision to say let's bring Links back with new technology and see where it takes us.

One can always dream about that...

Ken

#20 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

I seem to remember the .ssf decompressing itself prior to editing the files.  I also seem to remember that you had access to a directory of the sfx.  Not sure what the file format was.  .wav or .mp3 most likely.  Never really used the sound editor in Links but did root around in it. 

Anybody have Links installed that can take a look at the sound editor and try to edit a .ssf file to see what happens?

Yes, I have made quite a few .ssfs, both for fun and serious...  I have also "enhanced" the ones that came with the game, imported some older soundscripts from past version of Links and used them in the 2k version.    If anyone has played the Left 4 Dead series of games, I imported those sound files into Links and surprisingly enough, some of the lines in that game worked really well in Links when an event triggered!    It is a blast to listen to!    

I was preparing myself to bring or create soundscripts for PG.. remember when the "beta" soundscript editor was released?    I was hoping it would make it into the game, but sadly... it didn't.   My questions and PMs went unanswered, so I gave up on it.  

fyi... when extracted, they export to .wav files.  

• shimonko likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users