3 replies to this topic

#1 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:40 PM

Current course is on  a tropical island and the sun is on the wrong side. Can it be moved through 180 degrees to be shining from the other side of the island ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

Definitely. You can change the rotation of the sun via the Directional Light. Select it and in the Inspector, you'll want to change the Y axis "Rotation".

If you hover your mouse cursor over the letter "Y" in the row for "Rotation" under Transform section, you can left click and drag either left or right to change the value.

I would suggest watching a tree shadow to see how the rotation change impacts your lighting.

There is no benefit to physically moving the sun in the position section. It will always shine in the same direction based on the rotation values.

Are you using a panoramic image in your skybox as well? If so, you'll want to move the sun in that to match how your directional light is beaming.

#3 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for this. Everything is now lit up brightly so all the colours and textures can be seen. If I wanted to move the position of the directional light ( up or down) which control would that be.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#4 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for this. Everything is now lit up brightly so all the colours and textures can be seen. If I wanted to move the position of the directional light ( up or down) which control would that be.

Moving the sun "up" or "down" in the position section will do nothing, ie you will see no change.

You can change the angle of the sun though in the "X" column of rotation. As you move the "X" in rotation, you'll see the shadows either shorten or lengthen, as well as the darkness and lightness change.

If the sun is beaming directly vertical, you'll have short shadows and it'll be very bright. If the sun is beaming horizontally, it'll produce longer shadows and be quite dark.

You should be able to zoom out on your terrain and see the Gizmo for the sun. It'll help you "see" the angle change of the sun rays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users