#1 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

While shaking the bushes looking for news of any forthcoming golf game releases, I somehow stumbled on Sim Golf by MobyGames (not Sid Meier's SimGolf, mind you).  I never had any interest in it at its time of release because I was heavy into Links LS and EA's PGA Tour 95 and 96 along that time.  It has an interesting looking HUD and describes itself as having a unique mouse interface.  It also had a course architect.

Here's a link to MobyGames information page about it:  https://www.mobygames.com/game/simgolf

I found and downloaded a playable demo of it for kicks, but it's a Windows 95 game and I can't figure out how to get it to run in Windows 10.  Does anyone have any experience with this game?   I'm just curious about it....

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#2 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

Shouldn't you just be able to right click on the demo and select properties and then go to the compatibility section and then click the Run this program in compatibility mode for: and then just use the drop down box for windows 95? That's the only way I could think of doing it.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

First golf design software I ever bought, circa 1997. I still have the CD somewhere.

I bought Links the same time but there was no design program available yet.

I went to JN5, then GBC, then PGA 2000, then Links. I actually had a beta copy of the original APCD but I found it unbelievably cumbersome.... which really it always was, but I eventually got better at it after about 8 years of trying.

Then PG of course.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

I maintain that PGA 2000 was my favorite game of about a 15 year span there - if I had to choose just one.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt as connected to a swing on the screen as I did in that game with their mouse swing implementation.

#5 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Shouldn't you just be able to right click on the demo and select properties and then go to the compatibility section and then click the Run this program in compatibility mode for: and then just use the drop down box for windows 95? That's the only way I could think of doing it.

Thanks for weighing in Joe... I did just what you suggested and it worked.  I was trying to run Setup.exe and when I clicked on SimGolf.exe in compatibility mode it worked.  The game itself was a bit more primative looking than I thought it would be.  No reverse landing cam option is now a show stopper for me in golf games.  That mouse swing is the toughest I've every tried though!  I whiffed on half of my swing attempts... it's VERY sensitive on the swing path.

I can move along now that the mystery of this game no longer tempts me  ;)

• Joe Habiger likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#6 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

First golf design software I ever bought, circa 1997. I still have the CD somewhere.

I bought Links the same time but there was no design program available yet.

I went to JN5, then GBC, then PGA 2000, then Links. I actually had a beta copy of the original APCD but I found it unbelievably cumbersome.... which really it always was, but I eventually got better at it after about 8 years of trying.

Then PG of course.

With the demo, I got to play two holes of both courses.  It might have been fairly impressive in its day, but they were more Spartan looking than I thought they'd be.  The course designer isn't available in the demo.  Links LS and Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge were easily well ahead of this one.  PGA Championship 2000 took over my golf gaming life for about 4 years running.  I tried playing it again a few years ago, and while the courses still look pretty decent, the polygonal golfers are so blocky they don't look like they belong in the game.   They make JNPG's Hacker Harry look like a Michelangelo!  The swing still felt good though, but I simply couldn't get past the look of those avatars! 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#7 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

I maintain that PGA 2000 was my favorite game of about a 15 year span there - if I had to choose just one.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt as connected to a swing on the screen as I did in that game with their mouse swing implementation.

Agreed, PGA 2000's mouse swing was the best I've ever experienced!

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#8 pgadesertrat

pgadesertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

Amen to that.  Hands down, PGA 2000 tru swing is still the best by FAR to date.  Compared to all games that came after it, the mouse swing has immense amount of depth and feel.  Most importantly, it had a proper tempo system that learned/calculated itself based on each person's individual swing.  Not the half baked, non-intuitive system used in JNPG and then mimicked by TGC.....sorry but that is the absolute truth.

• Buck and worrybirdie like this

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

Agreed, PGA 2000's mouse swing was the best I've ever experienced!

The feeling of “shaping the shots” and all the nuances of the swing were just unreal in that game, particularly if we consider what the year was!

I honestly never dreamed the golf gaming landscape would be this devoid of titles and seemingly have “little to no future” at this point on the calendar.  It’s a massive drag, particularly when you see what’s possible graphically out there these days..

• JCat04 likes this

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Amen to that.  Hands down, PGA 2000 tru swing is still the best by FAR to date.  Compared to all games that came after it, the mouse swing has immense amount of depth and feel.  Most importantly, it had a proper tempo system that learned/calculated itself based on each person's individual swing.  Not the half baked, non-intuitive system used in JNPG and then mimicked by TGC.....sorry but that is the absolute truth.

Yep!

I actually got it up and running in a VM many months back just to experience it again.  It brought ALL the memories right back..

The graphics, unfortunately, are too much of a step back for me anymore to use it much, but I did enjoy a few rounds and the mouse swing was utterly compelling again, as it always was back then. 

Just perfection IMO.

• JCat04 likes this

#11 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

If you could put TGC 2019's, or Rory McIlroy PGA Tour golfer animations in PGA Championship 2000, I'd be playing it almost exclusively.  I'd forgotten about how well its swing interface reflected your tempo, and allowed you to create your own tempo to boot... it was brilliant in that regard!

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

If you could put TGC 2019's, or Rory McIlroy PGA Tour golfer animations in PGA Championship 2000, I'd be playing it almost exclusively.  I'd forgotten about how well its swing interface reflected your tempo, and allowed you to create your own tempo to boot... it was brilliant in that regard!

It’s so frustrating we can’t get someone to marry modern graphics with interface implementations that were already “perfect” TWENTY years ago now...  

#13 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

I know one PGA2000 course coming to JNPG but I can't say anymore, it's pretty much done as well. I think it's one of the best courses I've played so stay tuned...

• Buck likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

Speaking of PGA - did any of you ever get the “Collectors Edition”?

Just looking at the courses that version added, I don’t think I ever owned it..

PGA Championship Golf Collector’s Edition highlights the

new courses:

Darnoch High Course, Barren Hills Golf Club, Ceilidh Cove,
Whisperwind Golf Club, North American Woods Golf Club, Inland Heath Golf
Links, Sammamish Plateau, Emerald City Golf Links, Po’okela Resort and Country
Club, South Ingalls Creek Country Club, Normandy Heights Country Club, and
Lochiel Golf Links for a total of thirty-two in the game.

#15 pgadesertrat

pgadesertrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

You can grab every course ever released for the game, including those included in the Collector's Edition ;) .

http://www.golfsimcl...ga2000/courses/

• Buck likes this

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

You can grab every course ever released for the game, including those included in the Collector's Edition ;) .

http://www.golfsimcl...ga2000/courses/

wow. That is something...

do you still play it?

#17 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

I have it as well as BJ and Brian Zager but multiplayer is kind of sketchy with more than 2 players.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#18 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

Speaking of PGA - did any of you ever get the “Collectors Edition”?

Just looking at the courses that version added, I don’t think I ever owned it..

PGA Championship Golf Collector’s Edition highlights the

new courses:

Darnoch High Course, Barren Hills Golf Club, Ceilidh Cove,
Whisperwind Golf Club, North American Woods Golf Club, Inland Heath Golf
Links, Sammamish Plateau, Emerald City Golf Links, Po’okela Resort and Country
Club, South Ingalls Creek Country Club, Normandy Heights Country Club, and
Lochiel Golf Links for a total of thirty-two in the game.

Yeah, I have the Collectors's Edition, and I recall it being worth the purchase!

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, I have the Collectors's Edition, and I recall it being worth the purchase!

No kidding… 32 courses in a game released in the early 2000’s is something else indeed!

#20 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

You guys have convinced me to reinstall PGA Championship 2000 once again.  The last time I tried it was before my 4K capability.  I'll see if that doesn't help me get past the crudely presented polygonal golfers a bit.  I'll have to go on a vision quest to find my CD's though  ;)

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users