18 replies to this topic

#1 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

I like to play the old Command & Conquer games on skirmish mode. The only mode that I can win on. There are only 2 available on Steam and I would like a little more variety and maybe more eye-candy. Does anyone know of a game that has skirmish modes?

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:38 PM

Conan unconquered is good

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:10 AM

Company of Heroes is pretty good...https://www.youtube....h?v=4674Kyiq76U

I'm surprised it's still $20 bucks for a game this old, but I guess the good stuff still sells. 

https://store.steamp...pany_of_Heroes/

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D (Windows 11)

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#4 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

What is skirmish mode? Sorry, old Links player here.

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#5 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:46 PM

In Command & Conquer Kanes wrath there are there are Campaign, Skirmish, and Global Conquest, and multiplayer modes. Not sure if multiplayer works anymore, as I never play that way. Skirmish is just an individual war between 2 or more armies but you can dumb it down to suit your ability to play. In most games easy is still to hard for me. Especially shooters.

• Perculator likes this

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

You playing like the old, old, like late 90's C&C's?

Man - I played the HELL out of the original C&C and also Red Alert

#7 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:19 AM

You playing like the old, old, like late 90's C&C's?

Man - I played the HELL out of the original C&C and also Red Alert

I loved C&C Generals Zero Hour, only can manage to play skirmish mode. Now all I have is Tiberium War and Kane's Wrath. I got those from Steam. I bought Company of Heroes today and it looks like I might be able to figure that out.

Does anyone know about the Warhammer games? Is that something that might be up my ally? I can also play Tower Defense games like Defense Grid 2. I have played them but I really suck at the Civilization games.

#8 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:07 AM

I bought Company of Heroes today and it looks like I might be able to figure that out.

I can also play Tower Defense games like Defense Grid 2. 

I think you'll like it. The control panel was a little confusing at first for me, too. Once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed the game. You might try this walkthrough site for the first couple of missions, it'll help get the hang of it quicker.

https://guides.gamep...ide.asp?ID=1454

I was going to suggest Defense Grid...I played both #1 and #2. They were a blast! After playing, I had this craving for raspberries! (inside joke)  :D

• bgast1 likes this

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#9 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

I'm also going to try Skyrim. I play Defense Grid 2 in VR. It is a lot of fun

#10 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

Can recommend Witcher 3, really enjoyed it. You can stick to main story or go and do lots of side stuff. 

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#11 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:49 AM

Hi bgast1...in case you were enjoying COH, I was going to give you a heads up on a sale at Steam. Looks like we can get COH 2 bundle with all the DLC for about $9.00 bucks. (regular about a $104 bucks) Good until July 9th...

https://store.steamp...ny_of_Heroes_2/

If anyone else wanted to try COH, the original is on sale for $4 bucks. (regular $20)

https://store.steamp...pany_of_Heroes/

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#12 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Couldn't seem to get the hang of Company of Heroes. I haven't been doing much in the way of gaming other than golf and bejeweled lately. I wish there was a modern game similar to the old Descent. I loved that game.

#13 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:34 AM

the old Descent. I loved that game.

lol...you do go back a ways, don't you?  :D  Well, it's your lucky day, my man. You can get Descent, Descent 2 and Descent 3 "bundled" for a whopping $7 bucks!  Not a modern version, tho.  :mellow:

https://store.steamp...273570/Descent/

Edit: just noticed 2 and 3 are 2014 releases, should be big jump in graphics from 1995... 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#14 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

Thanks, I got em and played Descent. Kind of getting used to it after all this time. Graphics on 2 and 3 are better but not great.

#15 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

Thanks, I got em and played Descent. Kind of getting used to it after all this time. Graphics on 2 and 3 are better but not great.

Good deal... :D   

At least your getting out cheap...I spent $55 bucks (with $5 discount)...But I am getting $280 bucks worth, so still not too a shabby a deal. 

Jcikiop.jpg

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#16 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

Your gonna love Wreckfest.

#17 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

Your gonna love Wreckfest.

The videos looked hilarious... :D  reminded me of that old Flat Out game on steroids! 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#18 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:32 PM

Couldn't seem to get the hang of Company of Heroes. I haven't been doing much in the way of gaming other than golf and bejeweled lately. I wish there was a modern game similar to the old Descent. I loved that game.

the problem with company of heroes is they keep coming at you even when you have all the resource areas units keep appearing in their main and doing suicide missions which actually defeats you eventually if you do nothing ... 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#19 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:40 PM

I like to play the old Command & Conquer games on skirmish mode. The only mode that I can win on. There are only 2 available on Steam and I would like a little more variety and maybe more eye-candy. Does anyone know of a game that has skirmish modes?

Steel Division and Steel Division 2 have skirmish modes but it is a completely different thing as compared to Command and Conquer or Company of Heroes - they need to re do Command and Conquer Generals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Anyway with Steel Division its basically you and the enemy deploy units and go at it there is no base building there is a Division building where in you can customize how your division is made up and then when you skirmish you have advantages and disadvantages according to how your division is made up for example you can have tons of tanks but if not enough infantry it can be a problem. 

Steel Division the skirmish basically depends on controlling the front line the map how much of the map you control ... I like Steel Division 2 better with this you have perhaps 15 to 20 different capture areas so you move out your units and capture an area and defend it while the AI tries to capture areas and defend them and so on. You can for example pick 12 capture areas and focus on those grabbing them early then defending as time goes by you can deploy more units as needed. 

Check out the videos on youtube etc. In order to enjoy it you will need to learn a lot of the mechanics whereas with Command and Conquer there is not so much to learn. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users