20 replies to this topic

#1 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:34 AM

The reason I ask this question, I'm curious if some of the courses are poorly optimized or this game is just too much for even a high end pc. I can run Crysis 3, Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, with no issues and yet some of these courses are a stuttering mess. I have a i9 9900 K overclocked to 5 ghz, a RTX 2080 ti overclocked, Perfect Golf on a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVE drive and yet some of the courses I play are a mess.

I've messed with the Vsync options in NCP and in the PP settings. I play on a 34 inch ultrawide monitor which is 3840x1440. Now, some courses play without issues. I cap the framerate at 120 fps but the stuttering is when it dips below 70. It happens often on some courses. I've also fooled around with the graphic settings and feel like I shouldn't have to drop down too far with my setup. So! am I just missing something in the settings or is this game just too demanding?

If you play the game on above average graphic settings, could you share your settings?

• Buck likes this

Asus ROG Strix X670E  Ryzen 7 7800X3D DDR5 3600 MHz G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB M.2 Solid State 1TB NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6 1300W Sea sonic Platinum Power Supply Western Digital Black 1TB MPG Core Liquid K360 cooler 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:24 AM

i would think with the computer you have you should have no issues with any of the courses

are you playing solo or multiplayer, if you are playing MP and not hosting i could see it as you play off the hosts connection.

when playing solo i have no issues with the system i have in the sig, i only get the jumping around crap when playing off other folks hosting in MP and not the folks in the states but the people over in Europe and other parts of the globe. seems with all the machine you have you should be able to run at the highest levels all the time when hosting and playing solo.

i sent you a PM here with screenies of my settings

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely try your settings. I have the shadow distance maxed I think. At work right now so I can’t test it. I ran everything maxed once just to see. Courses with minimum tress ran fine, but obviously courses with more trees stuttered. I’m just looking for slightly higher graphics but keeping some smoothness.

Asus ROG Strix X670E  Ryzen 7 7800X3D DDR5 3600 MHz G.SKILL Trident Z RGB- 64GB M.2 Solid State 1TB NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6 1300W Sea sonic Platinum Power Supply Western Digital Black 1TB MPG Core Liquid K360 cooler 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely try your settings. I have the shadow distance maxed I think. At work right now so I can’t test it. I ran everything maxed once just to see. Courses with minimum tress ran fine, but obviously courses with more trees stuttered. I’m just looking for slightly higher graphics but keeping some smoothness.

Shadows are the biggest thief of the FPS in this game that is why a lot of folks run with them turned off

also cut down your grass distance ,and camera view distance as you just don't need it and if you are playing 3c

turn on the pause render and you may find you will have no issues with any of the courses. realtime weather is also a FPS thief and does not work right anyway so just keep away from it too.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#5 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:42 PM

For one you can't compare a modern golf title rendering a dynamic 3D environment to other games. Second, there is no reason to set the render distance beyond what you see on the current hole. With Max sliders your basically trying to render the whole course in higher detail. I use the zoom to landing and set the sliders to a minimum value where I no longer see any objects popping in to view. There are some courses where the designers got carried away with high res textures and 3D modeling. One course, I can't remember the name, but had reflective windows which really made the course unplayable.

• Leroy4423 likes this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:08 PM

For one you can't compare a modern golf title rendering a dynamic 3D environment to other games.

Sorry there was confusion - He’s asking about Perfect Golf

• Ted_Ball likes this

#7 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

I just found it hard to imagine I could run such demanding games and have issues with this one. I typically don't pay with the settings maxed completely out. I was just testing it out. I will say on some courses, maxed out played fine. I did use davef's settings (thanks) but still ran into some stuttering. For some reason turning V-Sync on in game and in the Nvidia control panel helped some. I would think having G-Sync enabled and V-Sync enabled in control panel but not in game would work best. 

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:41 PM

Honestly Leroy, you are absolutely right..

This game, whether it’s Unity or the coding done here I’m not sure, simply performs far worse than it should given the hardware you and many are throwing at it.

Don’t buy any of the nonsense about “modern 3D world” blah blah blah.  When you see the graphics from so many other games, including their rendered area sizes, it would seem to be more about budget, coding skill, framework choices, techniques and leveraging the latest and greatest methods than anything unique to a golf game.

This game is old and abandoned and thus “this is it” sadly.

Also - PG looks “ok” for what it is, but let’s not delude ourselves into thinking this is some barn burner graphically, particularly when you look at other genres of games that are more recent and also have 3D world/environments and feature FAR more realistic looking graphics.

• Joe Habiger and Leroy4423 like this

#9 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

I agree with you Buck. It's a shame this game has been abandoned, Its actually a great golf game. I finally have it running decent by just lowering some settings. I just thought I could get every bit out of it with no issues. I thought I had to be missing something.

I can assume there will be no more updates for this game? I went away for a while and just got back into playing. 

• Buck and Greensboronclion like this

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:17 PM

I can assume there will be no more updates for this game? 

A very safe assumption

#11 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:49 PM

I have pretty much the same setup and other than playing online (we have a Fri night group where 6-8 of us play alt shot team games) I get no stuttering. I do have shadows off, don't use dynamic sky or real time weather.

sam

• Leroy4423 likes this

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

I do have shadows off

Totally off?

Hmm - Doesn’t that sort of look awful to you?

Every time I’ve played with that I was really turned off by the fully “off” mode for shadows.

#13 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

I have pretty much the same setup and other than playing online (we have a Fri night group where 6-8 of us play alt shot team games) I get no stuttering. I do have shadows off, don't use dynamic sky or real time weather.

sam

Sam, I think the dynamic sky being disabled made the biggest impact yet. I played a round with literally NO stuttering. The downside is it made the game have this kind of haze look to it. I guess you have the best of both worlds. Thanks for the tip though.

#14 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:07 PM

For one you can't compare a modern golf title rendering a dynamic 3D environment to other games. Second, there is no reason to set the render distance beyond what you see on the current hole. With Max sliders your basically trying to render the whole course in higher detail. I use the zoom to landing and set the sliders to a minimum value where I no longer see any objects popping in to view. There are some courses where the designers got carried away with high res textures and 3D modeling. One course, I can't remember the name, but had reflective windows which really made the course unplayable.

Honestly you have a better system than I do and I can run almost all courses fully high at 4K and I have my sliders set pretty high. There is a reason us designers use high res textures and 3d modeling and it's called realistic. If you are afraid to put a little heat into your high dollar Titan by cranking it up that's up to you but don't blame up designers for you wanting to see only as far as the hole draws.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#15 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

sam

Sam I think BrianZ sets up the rounds with dynamic sky on. Maybe we should tell him to turn it off tonight because I hate it also, i'd rather see the sky the designer set not the crappy whisper clouds you can barely notice in this game with dynamic skies on.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#16 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Honestly you have a better system than I do and I can run almost all courses fully high at 4K and I have my sliders set pretty high. There is a reason us designers use high res textures and 3d modeling and it's called realistic. If you are afraid to put a little heat into your high dollar Titan by cranking it up that's up to you but don't blame up designers for you wanting to see only as far as the hole draws.

Joe, Could you send me a screen of your settings? If your're running in 4K on high settings then maybe its more to it than I thought.

#17 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Sorry I am running Ultra Custom not high. Also our group of 6 last night played the reflective version of Innisbrook and most of the time my fps was in the 60's. I few times it would drop down to like 29 and that might have been closer to the water but it's still playable for me. We also played another round at a course with a low res mountain or mountains in the background but only one other person seen it until I told them to turn up there camera view distance. That's what I was talking about in the reply to wirenut48 above. I mean we as designers go out of our way to design a course and make it as real as possible but people don't see shit when the camera view distance is so low. They said the mountain looked like shit and yes it was low res but I think it was a extra low res mesh surrounding the golf course but the texture used was very low res so that's what made it look bad. I had my camera view distance cranked to 30000 and I lost no frames and still stayed in the 60's.

I mean honestly you all have MUCH better systems than I do.....

BAN0uKR.jpg

JjkB2Pi.jpg

• Leroy4423 likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

#18 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for sharing your settings, I'm going to try them. Being new to this game I have no idea what to set anything on.

#19 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:55 PM

I'm using all the sliders maxed out (except maximum shadows which have a dreadful fuzzy look to them) but there again I am using the RTS patch.  Been doing this for a while and not noticed any courses (bar one) which struggles on activation of the RTS swing.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#20 Leroy4423

Leroy4423

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

Sorry I am running Ultra Custom not high. Also our group of 6 last night played the reflective version of Innisbrook and most of the time my fps was in the 60's. I few times it would drop down to like 29 and that might have been closer to the water but it's still playable for me. We also played another round at a course with a low res mountain or mountains in the background but only one other person seen it until I told them to turn up there camera view distance. That's what I was talking about in the reply to wirenut48 above. I mean we as designers go out of our way to design a course and make it as real as possible but people don't see shit when the camera view distance is so low. They said the mountain looked like shit and yes it was low res but I think it was a extra low res mesh surrounding the golf course but the texture used was very low res so that's what made it look bad. I had my camera view distance cranked to 30000 and I lost no frames and still stayed in the 60's.

I mean honestly you all have MUCH better systems than I do.....

BAN0uKR.jpg

JjkB2Pi.jpg

Joe, thanks for posting these. I do think the dynamic sky option was the issue. I'm now running everything maxed out and it doesn't drop below 120 fps which is what I have it capped at. I'm sure that changes per course, but I'm happy with the results.

• Joe Habiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users