#1 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:54 PM

Just curious as to how many still playing PG and that's if there is anyone left on this board to comment. It just seems interest has totally died and fields at PGLS stay around 70 players but play seems to be dwindling. Sad but I just seems that its gotten stale and I used to play two rounds a day but now down to four rounds a week. As for this forum it's been dead as a doornail.

#2 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

I play everyday. However, that having been said, I only play against the computer. I just finished building a course that represents one of our local golf courses here in Kansas thanks to the spectacular help from Justin9926. 

• Justin9926 and Greensboronclion like this

#3 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

I play everyday. However, that having been said, I only play against the computer. I just finished building a course that represents one of our local golf courses here in Kansas thanks to the spectacular help from Justin9926.

That is a lasting appeal to a designer that they can keep building courses to play. Would have been great to have a real career mode so that the game had offline appeal to those who don't design.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

I play 2 rounds every single night with my uncle.

We absolutely love it for what our needs are.

The gameplay is totally dialed in and we vacillate between blowout wins/losses and also big comebacks down the back plus plenty of nights where it's neck and neck.

I still maintain that the controller swing they did here, with all the subtle variation and nuance it provides, is simply stellar and one of the best implementations ever done.

The quality of the third party courses is also just phenomenal.  CF continues to shine and show off (in the hands of the talented designers that is) all the different looks and moods and capabilities it has.

The visual variety here is so amazing since CF is a totally wide open, "do anything you want" design environment.

• Wirenut48, Greensboronclion and Starliner640 like this

#5 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:47 PM

I still play a round or two a week but I have been doing this so long and have gotten older that I am starting to watch TV now more instead of just gaming. The board is also probably more active in the winter when many of us can't play golf in real life or don't have family life get in the way.

I still play with 6 other people every friday night and many of us are still designing a course as well but where we came from (Customplay Golf/World Golf Challenge) we are basically use to only us playing the game. Here we atleast have 70 or more playing any golf course we build..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#6 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:18 PM

Still playing with friends at least twice a week.

Who cares...

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

I'm designing a little bit. It's been a painfully slow process to come back after a long layoff.

The worst thing is an unshakable feeling that I don't have anything really new to offer.... that it's all just repeating. I haven't really embraced overlay like a lot of you have, and I'm totally clueless about 3D grass. I guess those things have sort of become the new standard, and I haven't really caught up.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:58 PM

I play PG about once every two weeks.  I can't quite put my finger on why I spend the vast majority of my golf gaming time on TGC 2019, but it just has an overall level of appeal to my specific interests.  If TGC didn't exist, I'd be just fine playing PG, but I'd be jones'n harder for a successor.  I like the TGC Society structure, although I only play in two Societies... well, here in the last month, only one.

I've gone into a sort of lame duck status with TGC 2019, now that 2K21 has been announced.  This has happened to me throughout my history of golf gaming in series golf games.  As soon as the new one is announced, my interest and passion gets turned toward it, and the old one all of the sudden seems less glamorous and appealing.  I was this way with Links, PGA Championship Golf and the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series on both the PC and the XBox 360, and it's probably even worse now with the TGC series.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

I play PG about once every two weeks.  I can't quite put my finger on why I spend the vast majority of my golf gaming time on TGC 2019, but it just has an overall level of appeal to my specific interests.  If TGC didn't exist, I'd be just fine playing PG, but I'd be jones'n harder for a successor.  I like the TGC Society structure, although I only play in two Societies... well, here in the last month, only one.

I've gone into a sort of lame duck status with TGC 2019, now that 2K21 has been announced.  This has happened to me throughout my history of golf gaming in series golf games.  As soon as the new one is announced, my interest and passion gets turned toward it, and the old one all of the sudden seems less glamorous and appealing.  I was this way with Links, PGA Championship Golf and the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series on both the PC and the XBox 360, and it's probably even worse now with the TGC series.

I thought I'd be fun to modify the above to my version - haha - why not, right?

I play PG every day about once every two weeks.  I can't quite put my finger on why I spend the vast majority of my golf gaming time on TGC 2019 PG, but it just has an overall level of appeal to my specific interests.  If TGC didn't exist, I'd be just fine playing PG, since I prefer PG anyways but I'd be jones'n harder for a successor.  I like am indifferent about the TGC Society structure, although I only play in two Societies... well, here in the last month, only one.

I've gone into a sort of lame duck status with TGC 2019, as well as 2k21 which looks like a content pack for 2019 more than anything else, now that 2K21 has been announcedThis has happened to me throughout my history of golf gaming in series golf games.  As soon as the new one is announced, my interest and passion gets turned toward it, and the old one all of the sudden seems less glamorous and appealing.  I was this way with Links, PGA Championship Golf and the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series on both the PC and the XBox 360, and it's probably even worse now with the TGC series.

• JCat04 likes this

#10 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

I find myself playing more games than before. I play PG, TGC 2019, Super Mega Baseball 2, NBA 2K20 and other racing games where I used to play just PG. For me it's just gone stale as no crowds of atmosphere doesn't help. When I do play it's because it's as real a golf game I ever played.

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

I find myself playing more games than before. I play PG, TGC 2019, Super Mega Baseball 2, NBA 2K20 and other racing games where I used to play just PG. For me it's just gone stale as no crowds of atmosphere doesn't help. When I do play it's because it's as real a golf game I ever played.

I will admit that when I want the fix of atmosphere and career mode and real names/content, I absolutely fire up TW14 still on my PS3.

#12 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

I thought I'd be fun to modify the above to my version - haha - why not, right?

I play PG every day about once every two weeks.  I can't quite put my finger on why I spend the vast majority of my golf gaming time on TGC 2019 PG, but it just has an overall level of appeal to my specific interests.  If TGC didn't exist, I'd be just fine playing PG, since I prefer PG anyways but I'd be jones'n harder for a successor.  I like am indifferent about the TGC Society structure, although I only play in two Societies... well, here in the last month, only one.

I've gone into a sort of lame duck status with TGC 2019, as well as 2k21 which looks like a content pack for 2019 more than anything else, now that 2K21 has been announcedThis has happened to me throughout my history of golf gaming in series golf games.  As soon as the new one is announced, my interest and passion gets turned toward it, and the old one all of the sudden seems less glamorous and appealing.  I was this way with Links, PGA Championship Golf and the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR series on both the PC and the XBox 360, and it's probably even worse now with the TGC series.

I'm glad I gave you a template from which to facilitate the expression of your views!  :)  I could have done it for you with the exception of the last paragraph.  I wasn't sure if you'd ever experienced the "lame duck" thing with any of the golf games you've played over the years.

I'm anxious to see how much longer you're going to be able to ride that "content pack" horse you're riding, as more and more depth of what has changed under the hood is revealed  B)   I hope I'll be able to point back to this statement in future discussions :D

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

I hope I'll be able to point back to this statement in future discussions :D

So do I

Some TGC fans mistake my opinions about it for "negativity".  Not at all.  It just reads that way if one disagrees.

Since I don't really like where the game is now, the bar is just higher to pull someone like me in.

I'm disappointed that there hasn't been much more progress by this time.

I was really hoping (probably naively) that the "full 2k" would be a new engine with a real "all new next-gen, here we go!" type of feeling, you know?

I promise you some in the HB forum world will have the take of "2 years of nothing and this is it?" when 2K21 releases.

#14 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:58 PM

I'm trying to nurture an interest in Super Mega Baseball 3, with the 3 inning trial version.  I'm starting to feel the game a little bit more with each play.  Right now it doesn't feel like there's enough grounders and hoppers hit.  Does that change at some point?  I'm big into racing games now also.  I'm very pleased with how Grand Turismo Sport on the PS4 is working with my Thrustmaster TX racing wheel, via my new DriveHub adapter.  I'm back and forth between it, PGR 2 and Forza 7... and then I'll hope on over to iRacing for the best multiplayer sporting event experience I've ever had!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:00 PM

JC:  moved

http://www.perfectpa...-2k21/?p=178816

#16 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:10 PM

So do I

Some TGC fans mistake my opinions about it for "negativity".  Not at all.  It just reads that way if one disagrees.

Since I don't really like where the game is now, the bar is just higher to pull someone like me in.

I'm disappointed that there hasn't been much more progress by this time.

I was really hoping (probably naively) that the "full 2k" would be a new engine with a real "all new next-gen, here we go!" type of feeling, you know?

I promise you some in the HB forum world will have the take of "2 years of nothing and this is it?" when 2K21 releases.

I don't see it as negativity, it's more skepticism.  There's nothing wrong with skepticism, especially with regard how well the game has/has not measured up to your expectations.

I know that if 2K21 would be satisfying to you, it would be more of the game I would want as well.  As for the new engine, where we really go "Whoa... this is a new, cutting edge game!"  I don't think that will happen unless 2K21 winds up selling up to a certain level, and 2K sees a potential profit in doling out the cash for a new engine.  Even if they do, is HB Studios going to be able to re-purpose their dev team to use the Eco-Motion engine?  Just because a dev team is competent with Unity, I don't think you can automatically assume they can dive right in and be proficient with Eco-Motion.

But no... I can't see 2K putting their moniker on a successor to PGA TOUR 2K21 on another golf game that's written in Unity.

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

As for the new engine, where we really go "Whoa... this is a new, cutting edge game!"  I don't think that will happen unless 2K21 winds up selling up to a certain level, and 2K sees a potential profit in doling out the cash for a new engine.  Even if they do, is HB Studios going to be able to re-purpose their dev team to use the Eco-Motion engine?  Just because a dev team is competent with Unity, I don't think you can automatically assume they can dive right in and be proficient with Eco-Motion.

But no... I can't see 2K putting their moniker on a successor to PGA TOUR 2K21 on another golf game that's written in Unity.

I agree with the analysis.

The sad part is that the very cautious and limited investment by 2K lends credence to the arguments that 2k is really just looking to slap their name on HB's game, toss in some content to sweeten the appeal, and make some quick, easy, money, especially since the golf game market is essentially devoid of alternatives at this point.

One would have thought the initial partnership, though limited, gave 2K visibility into sales and reach data....and after seeing that data, they decided to do very little new investment other than "add in some more content".

They might be telling us (without saying it out loud) that what HB was already doing is all the realism oriented golf gaming market will support.

Bummer for all of us if so.  

I miss 2015 when Rory, TGC and PG were all on the come.

#18 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

Haven't played in about 3 years but just started piddling with this again last time I played ya couldn't even buy courses and they were talking about a Career mode etc. fortunately one can still design courses which is my favorite thing about this game not only can ya design them but it is not a generic silly course designer you can do basically whatever ya want if ya have a smart brain which I don't have but one can make whatever they can imagine thank the Lord. We are fortunate the website and videos are still up and available along with Unity etc. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#19 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

Still playing; in fact, have a new PC on order for first time in almost 8 years so am looking forward to playing with higher graphics settings and enjoying PG at a higher level.

Am also trying to keep up with new 2K21 offering and see where that is going.  ;)

Ken

#20 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

I’m playing a couple of rounds a day on a simulator. This game is brilliant. It’s the closest physics to real life and current crop of courses are outstanding. It’s a shame it never got to evolve and fulfil its potential but I’d gladly accept it as is.
Also spend an hour or two on course forge. Mainly doing a few local courses that my friends are members at. I enjoy doing fake version with extra features that don’t exist irl.
  • Buck likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users