9 replies to this topic

#1 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

I'm fairly new to the game and have been playing Motion Swing horizontal from the start. Mainly because it most resembled the powerstroke swing in Links. Now I would like to have what I think is a more realistic golf sim experience with RTSM horizontal. I can manage full swings pretty well but have no idea how to gauge putting, chipping, and pitching. With the motion swing I had the meter but now just the golfer ani. Is it just a lot of practice to develop a feel like real golf or do you look at the ani and judge how far back he's swinging. Any advice from RTSM users would be greatly appreciated. In any case, I love the game and the challenge. My mouse sensitivity setting in the game is 2.5 for the short game. Should I increase this?

#2 SJude

SJude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

I usually change the view to more of a side view and use the golfers body as your meter.  This will take a little time to develop, woody's with mulligans is a great place to start.  Chipping and pitching same thing, change view and use the body as your meter.  Sensitivity of the mouse is a personal preference really, kinda has a lot to do with what your DPI is set at.  That's what I do, may or may not work for others, but if you have any questions or need any help, let me know, be happy to help if I can. 

#3 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:32 PM

I use the F5 key then move the view to exactly where I want it. For example, on short putts my view is  above the avatar so I can see exactly how far to pull the putter back.

For putting, you can also change the club to any one except the putter, then hit the C key until you get a side view and then choose the putter again.

A friend of mine putts entirely on feel so with practice you may be able to do it as well. 

I use RTSM vertical and having never played much Links powerstroke  I find that I am able to control the swing path and tempo easier with vertical.

RTSM - Pro

#4 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

Don't forget the mouse settings in the game for full swing and short game. SETTINGS-GAME and you can play with the sliders as what works fine for you in full swing may be too slow or fast for chips/putts.

Remember in Windows 3 things can affect the mouse- Windows mouse settings, any mouse mfgr software and then PG's settings. Also the speed can change with different screen resolutions. What works fine for me in 4K, needs to be changed if I play on my laptop at 1080p.

Sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#5 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful.

#6 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:25 AM

I just tried to see the difference from RTS Mouse method.  To Motion swing then to RTS Horizontal.  Could not even make a swing or make the animation move!  Yikes but no big deal just wanted to try it out.  I wonder if it something to do with Tamuchan's patch?  Or is it something else?

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#7 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

I installed the patch before I tried RTS because he said it helped frame rates regardless of swing types.

#8 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

I also use the RTS horizontal swing and think I can offer some advice. After 2000+ hours, I have finally reached a point where I can at least compete with some of the better 3-click players (though very rarely win). So yes, it's a long, slow, but enthralling learning process.

I take what others have said, but I use the same view for all shots (the one that looks as though you're standing about 10ft behind the golfer). I don't think it matters, as long as you achieve consistency. I putt, chip, and make half-power and three-quarter power shots, simply by gauging the backstroke on visual 'feel', if you see what I mean. No magical formula, just find a mouse speed setting that you're consistent with and put in the hours on the range, Woody's practice area, and by entering PGLS tournaments without feeling embarrassed by high scores, which is inevitable at first. They'll come down bit by bit. A very satisfying process. Over time, you'll find you can regularly lag a 40ft+ putt to within 4ft by feel, regardless of green speed and slope, just by practice.

Up the difficulty to Tour Pro soon as you can, especially during practice, as that way your swing errors are magnified and thus easier to spot. Putting isn't really affected by a harder difficulty (unless you are way off in alignment), but chips, sand shots and flops are severely dependent for both direction and distance on tempo at Tour Pro.

Also, try to avoid overswinging on full shots, sand shots and flops as this greatly magnifies swing errors.

Incidentally, I eventually switched to the Caliber ball for more control at Tour Pro. It means your drives are less than 275yds, and you're coming into greens with mid and long irons, but as long as your short game is solid, you can still compete. Just a thought.

Good luck!   

#9 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

I'll 2nd everything JoeBradley had to say.  I use the same view as well.

Practicing at Tour Pro level is definitely the best way to hone your tempo regardless of the level you play at for enjoyment.  Tempo does affect putts (push/pull) at the Tour Pro level, but at all other levels it is swing path only. 

Spend time trying different swing sensitivities to get a feel for their physical differences.  Eventually you should find a setting that just "feels" more in line with how you physically swing the mouse.  

If you overswing into the compression zone the game shaves off some backswing time and you will need to increase your downswing speed slightly to keep tempo and minimize the effect of swing errors.  To me it feels as if I have put a little more "oomph" in my downswing.

I use the Caliber most often but still pull out the Avant on longer, more wide open links style courses.  It's worth becoming familiar with both.

One of the most rewarding aspects of RTS is your ability to "work" the ball just as you would irl with nothing more than your swing.  Swing path, swing plane, offset (toe/heel) and tempo (open/closed clubface) are all, along with wind, calculated into the final flight of your ball, allowing multiple options on how to hit the ball.

As Joe said "it's a long, slow, but enthralling learning process".  Like the real game.  :)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#10 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:29 PM

I really appreciate the advice. I too play at PGLS and regularly see the name Joe Bradley at the top of the leaderboards shooting some very low scores playing at Tour Pro, so I guess you know what you're talking about. I want a golf sim that is as realistic as possible to the real game and this seems like the swing that does it. I would have never thought about practicing at Tour Pro until both of you suggested it. I've been playing at Pro and considered going down to Amateur. But after your posts I guess this is the wrong strategy to get better. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users