Photo

Why don't soft greens hold in this game?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stancomputergolfer

stancomputergolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Location1 mile south of the Cheddar Curtain

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:03 AM

I try to play the tournaments that I have time for each week, and there are a variety of green and fairway conditions, along with stimp ratings.

One thing I have learned for certain is that as soon as you go beyond the pitching wedges, which are limited to 90 yards and in, soft greens in this game just will not hold.

I watch the pros hit shot after shot in to greens with 6,7,8, 9 irons and spin the ball back on moderate or soft greens. It just doesn't happen in PG. Once in a great while hitting in to the side of a 2, 3, or 4 foot slope in front of the flagstick it happens, just when you don't want it to. I can count on one hand the shots that had backspin that are hit with an 8 iron or above. I hit EVERY iron all the way to the 6 with full loft. Not only don't I get backspin on soft greens, they generally release just like normal and go long.

I play the SKILZ tournament as often as I can and there are plenty of rounds that have soft/soft, 10 stimp. In SKILZ points are awarded for hitting the green, so holding a green is paramount. Yet the ball continually, even in soft/soft I still get giant bounces that fly off the greens. I've tried shortening the landing distance, but of course then I don't even make the green.

I know its not a glitch, its a feature. Does anyone have a reason why? Thank you.

Intel Quad Core i7-9700

32GB DDR5 RAM

Win 10 Home 64

Nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 6GB

32" Vizio 1080p display

Gigabyte Z390 UD

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum gaming headset

Logitech G700S gaming mouse

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:15 AM

No worries...It should get addressed in the next version

• Keith, sideshowbob, Justin9926 and 4 others like this

#3 stancomputergolfer

stancomputergolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:29 AM

No worries...It should get addressed in the next version

Nice sense of humor.. :)

Intel Quad Core i7-9700

32GB DDR5 RAM

Win 10 Home 64

32" Vizio 1080p display

Gigabyte Z390 UD

Seagate 1TB HDD

#4 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 25 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

The best way to handle soft greens is try and use the club which is one or two clubs lower then you would normally use.  Then you have to learn the distance that club can go.  Example. I have 90 yards to the pin.  Using a full 60 will get you back spin.  A 56 will also but if you hit it about 90% it will have less.  I would use a 52 and hit it about 78%.  That make sense to you?

#5 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 05:11 PM

Use a more powerful club and stop the back-swing sooner. This will allow the ball to have forward-spin rather than back-spin.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#6 stancomputergolfer

stancomputergolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:12 PM

Would you like me to post pictures of my 3/4 shot charts? Geez, I've been playing online golf for almost 30 years. Ya think I might know how? Soft greens DO NOT HOLD with anything beyond a wedge. You have to hit short, not long, with anything over a 120 club, because you aren't going to get backspin on soft greens with anything else, even 3/4 shots.

• RobV likes this

Intel Quad Core i7-9700

32GB DDR5 RAM

Win 10 Home 64

32" Vizio 1080p display

Gigabyte Z390 UD

Seagate 1TB HDD

#7 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:35 PM

Stan,

In PG's ball-to-club collision model, backspin is proportional to club head speed ( 3C power meter value) and club loft ( higher loft wedges get more spin).  This only hold up to 100% power.  All wedges will have a bounce and spin back on soft greens up to the PW, where a 3 bounce and check occurs.  You are correct on clubs at 9i and above getting the 3 bounce and roll out.

At 3C power values greater than 100% things change.  You get very little added club head speed (no extra distance), but you get a lot more back spin.  I can take the 9I, play it down in the setup, and over hit it 123% and get it to check and spin back a little.  Doing this with the 8I seems like the limit as far as check.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users