✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:25 PM

you know the count of players at any one time anymore does not exceed 30

most of the time. I have gotten on at times and there have only been 6/8 people on

how much longer can we expect this game to keep going. 

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#2 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:51 PM

Well, it sort of makes sense, no?    Zero updates, abandoned game, no new content and if it weren't for the designers giving their own time and effort, this game would have been dead long ago.   Don't you still play over at PGLS, dave?   I am not sure if there are any multiplayer type tournaments, but if there are, maybe that is the answer?   I am not sure...  I tried PGLS and while highly organized, I just could not subject myself to a schedule and playing the same course over and over to submit my scores.   I know that's the way a tour works, but I got bored with it. 

I have not played in a long time, but do pop into the forums every now and again... that's probably coming to an end too, its dead.    However, I would say those who are still playing the game, keep playing the way you are and perhaps not rely on the lobby or multiplayer aspect of the game.   Time marches on and this game has been in standstill mode for years now.  

People like to poke fun that I am still playing Links and sure the graphics are dated, but at least I have the ability to customize different players, new courses are still being made and the forums are still alive.   There is still some form of a community. 

• Tigers Agent, habo and Buck like this

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:43 PM

My Uncle and I still play occasionally, but its dwindled a bit (for other reasons).

We were so excited about the new EA game and definitely bummed to see it got pushed back.

I'm sure we'll play this one some more over the Winter months as long as it keeps working.

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:56 PM

My Uncle and I still play occasionally, but its dwindled a bit (for other reasons).

We were so excited about the new EA game and definitely bummed to see it got pushed back.

I'm sure we'll play this one some more over the Winter months as long as it keeps working.

Buck have you and your uncle ever thought about doing the pair-up tourneys at PGLS.

if you already do please excuse my post but to be honest the pair-up are some of the best tourneys PGLS has.

• Buck likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#5 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:05 PM

Well, it sort of makes sense, no?    Zero updates, abandoned game, no new content and if it weren't for the designers giving their own time and effort, this game would have been dead long ago.   Don't you still play over at PGLS, dave?   I am not sure if there are any multiplayer type tournaments, but if there are, maybe that is the answer?   I am not sure...  I tried PGLS and while highly organized, I just could not subject myself to a schedule and playing the same course over and over to submit my scores.   I know that's the way a tour works, but I got bored with it. 

I have not played in a long time, but do pop into the forums every now and again... that's probably coming to an end too, its dead.    However, I would say those who are still playing the game, keep playing the way you are and perhaps not rely on the lobby or multiplayer aspect of the game.   Time marches on and this game has been in standstill mode for years now.  

People like to poke fun that I am still playing Links and sure the graphics are dated, but at least I have the ability to customize different players, new courses are still being made and the forums are still alive.   There is still some form of a community. 

yes I do still do the tourneys at PGLS, and have a blast playing them it is always a good thing to find out how you are progressing in the game to compare your scores with others. I save all my tourney round notifications for each month to see how many tourney rounds I have played and today is the last day of the month and I have 140 tourney rounds in so far this month and there are many others who play many more then I do so if people who have never made it to PGLS think there is nothing to do in this game they are wrong and should check out the PGLS site. https://pgls.golflad.../pgls_intro.php

Klipsch Sound System

#6 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:10 AM

.  "I tried PGLS and while highly organized, I just could not subject myself to a schedule and playing the same course over and over to submit my scores. "

Not  sure what you mean by that statement.  There over 450 courses and you can play one Tour, like PGA 9, for 5 years and never play the same course.  What amazes me is that LSPN is still going playing Links 2003.  

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:57 AM

Buck have you and your uncle ever thought about doing the pair-up tourneys at PGLS.

if you already do please excuse my post but to be honest the pair-up are some of the best tourneys PGLS has.

It's all more than we are looking for honestly.

He and I just like to link up and chat while knocking it around for 36 holes from time to time

#8 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:24 PM

It's all more than we are looking for honestly.

He and I just like to link up and chat while knocking it around for 36 holes from time to time

well then, the 36 hole weekly pair up would be right up your ally

that is the same thing I and I would be sure many other teams do as

it is a great place to just voice chat away with your partner while playing through a few fun rounds.

you guys ought to give it a try we switch up the mode each week from straight alt-shot , to greensomes,and scramble.

give it a try buck lots of fun.

Klipsch Sound System

#9 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:43 PM

.  "I tried PGLS and while highly organized, I just could not subject myself to a schedule and playing the same course over and over to submit my scores. "

Not  sure what you mean by that statement.  There over 450 courses and you can play one Tour, like PGA 9, for 5 years and never play the same course.  What amazes me is that LSPN is still going playing Links 2003.  

I should have clarified...  when there is a tournament, you have to play the same course 2-4 times to submit your score.   I do not enjoy that.  What I do enjoy is playing 18 holes of golf, then moving on to the next course.  I tried PGLS and again, an amazing job those guys do in keeping that going, but just not for me.   Once I completed the 2nd round, I found myself not caring to play rounds 3/4 and just swung away, no matter what I scored, just to complete that one tournament.   

It is not a lack of patience either... After playing one particular course and enjoying that round, no matter what I scored, I am just ready to move on to the next course.   There are so many beautiful courses,  I just couldn't wait to play the next one.  

• erwildcat likes this

#10 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:47 AM

Rob there are some variations with some of the tournaments.  I started the Trifecta Tour which is challenge and ladies or forward T's.  Never use the same course more than twice and if I do I use challenge for one round and ladies or forward t's for second.  Sometimes all four courses are different.  Other things that make the rounds more interesting, on some of the tournaments, is using different T.s each round like ladies, member, back and championship.  Look at PGLS again, if you have an interest, we are always trying to make it more fun.

• ✠ davef ✠ and RobV like this

#11 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:18 AM

Look at PGLS again, if you have an interest, we are always trying to make it more fun.

Yeah maybe I will...  I actually fired up PG last night..  I saw that Oakmont CC was released.  One of my all time favorite Links courses, so I decided to give it a go.  Had a good time playing that course, so wonderfully designed!   I took a peek into the lobby and I did see a good amount of players in there, around 25.   Not sure if they were playing or not, but did see names.  

#12 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:54 AM

Hi Dave. I was going to start a new thread called 'PG Revisited' but I may as well post here.

My HP All-in-one PC conked out recently. I think it was one day after the end of a four year warranty. It didn't really conk out - it just wouldn't recognise the internet (wifi or ethernet) for more than a few minutes. I didn't want to break into it. It's all sealed up and I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. Sort of like when I open a car bonnet. 

It could only run PG at 11fps which was barely playable and only because I use mouse swing. But, basically, I hadn't played PG for four years. I didn't really miss it although it would have been nice to have a round occasionally. I got an Xbox for gaming and tried The Golf Club which lasted about three rounds.  Rory - same. I was looking forward to the new EA I suppose.

Anyway I bought a new Lenovo All-in-one. I dunno. The AIOs are so much less hassle than PCs. It's got a nice 27" screen and is slim line (no giant, roaring case sucking in dust and insects etc.). So then I thought, "Hmmm...PG?"

I downloaded it and fired it up and, at High graphics with draw distances down a bit, it runs like a charm. I haven't checked the frame rate yet but it's smooth. 

The reason I was going to post was that after four years and playing those less than adequate other golf games I had a new perspective on PG. There is a simple reality about PG that has still elevated it above all others - especially (or exclusively) with RTMS. I was immediately back in the swing so to speak. I was playing at Amateur (which I find is perfectly realistic in terms of the variations in ball flight. (I have posted on this issue before)) and was absolutely thrilled with the way I was able to get back in the groove by adjusting my 'swing'. I started with a slicey fade that took a few holes to straighten up and then manipulated a slight draw. Doesn't that sound like real life? As I was playing I was thinking that 3 clickers miss out on so much.

I played against my own recording and had a lot of fun. Even at Amateur you can still have clunkers. It was so much like real life. I was shooting around 80. I was also thinking PG at Amateur with RTSM is a Perfect vehicle for PvP play. Unfortunately it did not take off.

So now I have to re-register at PGLS to get some new courses and hope that someone other than me organises a series of rich RTSM only PvP tournaments so I don't have to play alone and inevitably become bored and shelve it for another four years.

• slouis, RobV, SReesor and 1 other like this

#13 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

Ted i have recently started playing RTS-M although i used to play motion swing i find the  RTS-M  most enjoyable mehod to play. Finding it difficuilt to break par at pro. Dont think i will play another swing as im hooked on it now

• JoeF, slouis and Ted_Ball like this

#14 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:08 AM

Yeah Maxie, I wouldn't consider any other method. It has an elegant simplicity that, even with PG's minor flaws in the real time animation, is very effective. I used to use a chart which indicated how far to backswing for the various swing types (chip, pitch etc.) but I found after a while I could just instinctively play a shot with success without referring to the chart.

I have to say I played my rounds without putting grids or the slope stick thingy - just reading the greens without assistance. Anything under 5 foot goes in (unless the hole is cut on a slope) and the percentages of holing out at longer distances mirror real life I find.

Pro level is probably the best test of golf but Amateur is more enjoyable for casual golfing.

Ah, what could have been.

• Armand and Buck like this

#15 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:05 AM

Every once in a while I fire up PG and go play 18 with my controller and I enjoy the challenge and still marvel at how well the game plays but that's the extent of it as if I am not playing 2K21 on my PC I sm playing MLB the Show 21 or NHL21 on my Xbox.  I see plenty of the old OG regulars playing 2K21 in leagues and societies and I don't get bored.  PG would have been killer but it was not to be and without updates this is what happens.  I play on a 70 inch Samsung 4K TV and probably getting PS5 or Xbox X for next releases and not going laptop as thats where most are playing and that is the one big draw for 2K21 as all systems can play together the the tours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users