#1 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPiedmont North Carolina

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

PG is my first time using Steam to play games. I was wondering if it affects the frame rate at all while playing. I am having frame rates in the 25-30 fps range on a lot of holes that have a bunch of trees. Can I safely turn off my antivirus while on Steam? I normally turn all of the graphics settings all of the way up and get by on 65-75 percent of the holes, but sometimes I have to abandon my round due to excessive lag/stutter on the swing meter (3-click) on certain holes. I prefer not to play at all than have to look at poor graphics. Even if I turn the trees way down I still get lag. I have turned about everything off that I can think of except AVG. I play on a 40" Sony Bravia via HDMI. Anyone else have a similar machine and what settings do you use? I tried going offline, but my golfer disappeared and the holes did not render correctly. Thanks

DELL XPS X8700-9375BLK Desktop, PC Intel Core i7 4790S (3.20GHz), 32GB DDR3, 3TB HDD, 256GB 
SSD, Windows 8.1 64-Bit, AMD Radeon R9 270

ASUS Microsoft Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s),  (RAM) 16.0 GB

#2 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

I have a very similar machine ....  XPS 8700 i7-4790 (3.6GHz), 24GB DDR3 Ram, 64-bit Win10 (was on 8.1 until a few days ago), 2TB HDD, 256 GB SSD, Radeon R9 270.  I display the computer on my 54" Panasonic plasma TV through HDMI for all games and applications.  Steam was brand new to me in January when I bought PG as well.  As for anti-virus, I can't see why you'd need AVG running while you play PG/Steam.  Myself, I'd have no concerns turning it off/disabling it during play.

My settings for Win 8.1 and Win10 are all at maximum:

pYcVvgrm.jpg

EBFHx0Em.jpg

I play using MS, and honestly, I don't even know what frame rate I get.  It looks smooth to me while I play, so it doesn't really matter to me if the frame rate is 30 or 300.

• Greensboronclion and trailblazergolf like this

#3 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

your frame rate will vary when in game --jump up when not ---but that's normal---

and I agree with amand-:)

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

If you have your vsinc set to every frame when your framerate drops below 60 it will tend to drop to 30 ie a big difference which is noticeable when it happens quickly. I find I get much more consistent frame rates with vsync off.

#5 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I have never turned vsync on because I read another thread that recommended disabling it. I just can't understand why a almost-new PC with a lot of RAM is having such terrible lag.

ASUS Microsoft Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s),  (RAM) 16.0 GB

#6 Fistful of Steel

Fistful of Steel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Are you sure it's not input lag related to using a TV as your monitor? With your specs you should be able to run the game on the highest settings.

#7 Splash

Splash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationUSA / Michigan

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Deleted

AMD 8350 @ 4.8 / XSPC Raystorm H2O Kit & RX240 Radiator

ASRock 990FX Extreme 9

Kingston HyperX Beast 1866 CL 9-10-11 @ 1.5 volt

EVGA 980ti Classified @ 1521 / 1.21 volt

2 Kingston 3K 120 GB SSD's [System & Game Drives]

CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w PS

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case

Panasonic 55 inch Viera Plasma 60Hz [DSR 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz for gaming]

7.1 Realtek Onboard / Optic Cable to ONKYO 1000w Rec. @ 24Bit / 192

7 Terabyte of Western Digital & Seagate SATA Storage

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Charter Cable Internet / 65MB sec. Down & 5MB sec. Up

#8 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Turn ON low quality on swing feature in game settings, might help with lag at least while your swinging.

#9 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I already have the "low quality while swinging" feature turned on and it does help some. I guess it is the input lag on the TV. I thought HDMI would circumvent that problem. I hate the idea of playing on a small monitor because this game looks real good on a big screen. Might be time to buy a great big PC monitor. However, I know other players  (like Armand) are playing on even bigger screens with good results. Maybe it's just a Sony problem?

#10 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I already have the "low quality while swinging" feature turned on and it does help some. I guess it is the input lag on the TV. I thought HDMI would circumvent that problem. I hate the idea of playing on a small monitor because this game looks real good on a big screen. Might be time to buy a great big PC monitor. However, I know other players  (like Armand) are playing on even bigger screens with good results. Maybe it's just a Sony problem?

Look at your TV settings carefully, if it's a relatively new set many have a "gaming" setting. 

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Without giving too much away, the low quality swing functionality will be much improved in the next build.

The Devs have been working hard on making the game playable for all and this latest WIP tweak will hopefully see those with lower end machines enjoying a smooth swingmeter experience.
  • catflap likes this

#12 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I have never turned vsync on because I read another thread that recommended disabling it. I just can't understand why a almost-new PC with a lot of RAM is having such terrible lag.

Steam I think playing in offline mode which would mean your playing by yourself this would also minimize performance issues cause this takes a lot less drain but as of this very second offline mode is not working they are retweaking it. 

The reality about Ram you may know this already but a computer has bottlenecks which are the CPU the chip - the GPU the video card - and the Ram and maybe something else but anyway if you have a newer system more than likely they put a good chip and video card with the great Ram or amount of it that you have - Point is if you have 65 GB of Ram but a lousy Chip and or a lousy Video card you are screwed - Computer companies willfully sell stuff to the ignorant if they can get away with it - usually does not matter with simple internet usage and email but gaming - serious graphical gaming like this PP golf game etc. takes up resources when you have it maxed or close to maxed out. Thats why they mention what video card you should have etc. But I assume you know what chip you have. and stuff. 

The other thing is which is rarely mentioned is what is running in the "background" of your pc. you can go to help under windows 7 and type in selective startup then click on system configuration. 

selective%20startup.jpg

Notice mine is set to a Selective Startup  this means I have intentionally disabled things from running the other day when I booted up and then all I would do would be to right mouse click my desktop it would take 20 SECONDS before the little menu popped up this is insane meaning there is a major computer drain a program running sucking up resources because doing that should instantly bring up the menu. 

This screenshot shots the General tab selected clicking on Services shows all the services running if you want to really slow down your system make sure Normal Startup is selected which runs everything but then if you have a $5,000.00 computer it may not matter. 

anyway the Services I have unchecked is crap like Adobe Acrobat  Update Service (this constantly runs and pings the internet then starts a program telling me to update acrobat all the time) also unchecked is Application expierience, application layer gateway service, AMD External events utility, Nvidia something I don't currently use an Nvidia card right now, Bluetooth suport service and many many more stuff is turned off some of them I just winged it and turned them off knowing I could turn them back on if something got kafluey you need someone that knows what they are doing to maybe turn off some stuff and run ours usiing Selective Startup 

you can also click on the startup TAB and uncheck some of this stuff point is now instantly when I right mouse click the little pop up thing pops up immediately this is a good baramerter for me that I have at least some resource hogging stuff turned off. 

I would also go to AVAST virus rather than AVG - AVAST is free too. I think Kim Comando and many gamers prefer AVAST vs AVG 

• RobV likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users