EA drops Tiger Woods, confirms next-gen PGA Tour game

#2 JustPuttinARound

JustPuttinARound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Tiger had no control over anything EA sports did in his name with the golf game, internet online, or computer and console based. He was only paid to be the selling figure in his name. If EA sports seems bent on jumping on the anti-Tiger band wagon with this rejection move, then they should get a new set of business ethics. Profitability in using a celebrity's name to sell a product, is not in itself virtuous, just business. But making a rejection statement by abandoning said celebrity, after making millions off him, from public pressure, or even for getting all the profits they can out of said celebrity, is not a selling point for buying EA sports products in the future, but on the contrary, makes them seem all that more selfish and greedy.

#3 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

They need the money, after paying O`Bannon  $40 million for supposedly using his likeness in NCAA Football, of course now they have abandoned the NCAA game. :angry:

but back on topic, agree with everything you said JustPuttinARound.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Great to see the desire is still out there for EA to bring back a golf game into the rotation.

Sure hope they do.

https://www.golfmagi...ports-game-2020

#5 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Also, since it's mentioned above by Mick-S

Hope to see NCAA football/basketball return now that the image/likeness compensation thing is coming around

#6 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

I'm pretty sure EA is not going back into PC Gaming with PGA Tour. So for oltimers like me without console I couldn't care less at the moment. But who knows... ;)

Who cares...

#7 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Look I love the PC side better than the console side but own the consoles also as PC gaming is just not big enough to hang on. Consoles is where the masses are and smart business goes where the masses are and that's not the PC. I probably am on my last gaming PC and I can buy both a PS5 and Xbox Next for much less than a good gaming PC so why upgrade. What I have now will play what I got and that's good enough. We need to face the truth that PC gamers are litterly a dying breed.
  • MERACE likes this

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

We need to face the truth that PC gamers are litterly a dying breed.

Are we sure they are?

I always thought that as well, but then you have things like Madden back on PC and so much emphasis on cross platform play...and now MSFS is coming back next year (to PC and console, but PC first and it's explicitly targeted at that).

I mean honestly I'd buy a console for the right game anyway, so whatever works.

I'm just not as sure as I once was about how "dying" the PC gaming world is, you know?

#9 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Buck younger gamers play console not PC and yes Madden was on PC this year but console still dwarfs it. The new consoles that are coming out will be quite powerful and again I can buy both for less than an average gaming PC. By the way the newest Madden is horrible and so many glitches it's hard to play.

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

Buck younger gamers play console not PC and yes Madden was on PC this year but console still dwarfs it. The new consoles that are coming out will be quite powerful and again I can buy both for less than an average gaming PC. By the way the newest Madden is horrible and so many glitches it's hard to play.

For sure.
I would love to be completely on Console.
Honestly this is the only PC game I right now

#11 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

By the way the newest Madden is horrible and so many glitches it's hard to play.

Amen to that brother!  I didn't even exhaust my 10 hours of Early Access trial time with it!   I prefer playing NCAA 14 on my XBox 360 to any Madden game!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

Amen to that brother!  I didn't even exhaust my 10 hours of Early Access trial time with it!   I prefer playing NCAA 14 on my XBox 360 to any Madden game!

Reports like that don’t make me optimistic about a new NCAA game.
I would be worried that they would just slap NCAA assets into the Madden engine

#13 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

I think this has more to do with piracy than with the ammount of players. It is way easier to hack a PC game than a console game.

Not too many people are able to change the DVD drive in a console (for example). ;)

And this was a process over some years when alot of people had both, console and PC at their homes. For me I can't handle a game pad and thats one reason why I don't buy a console. Also I do way more other things on my PC than playing a game. So all I will have is a PC but definatly no console. But on the other hand I'm old enough to handle that with no problem :D 

• Buck likes this

Who cares...

#14 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

Reports like that don’t make me optimistic about a new NCAA game.
I would be worried that they would just slap NCAA assets into the Madden engine

I always found that the NCAA games played differently than the Madden games, going back to the PS2 and original XBox.  NCAA Football 2004 was stellar, and absolutely killed Madden 2004.  NCAA 14 was also markedly better than Madden 14, but not by as much of a margin as it was in 2004.  I won't say they might not go the way you're suggesting since the NCAA franchise has been in mothballs for 5 years, so it would be more of a wait and see... I guess.  If they do reintroduce it, we should at least get a 10 hour trial with it in EA Access, provided you subscribe to EA Access. 

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

One reason it would be nice to have it on PC again is so it could potentially be extended by the third-party ecosystem and have a long long life.

For instance if Tiger Woods 12, 13 or 14 had been on PC, I’m fairly confident they would’ve been expanded, edited and added onto and still be the primary game on PC right now.

Of course all of the above flies in the face of what EA would want… LOL
  • JCat04 likes this

#16 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

One reason it would be nice to have it on PC again is so it could potentially be extended by the third-party ecosystem and have a long long life.

For instance if Tiger Woods 12, 13 or 14 had been on PC, I’m fairly confident they would’ve been expanded, edited and added onto and still be the primary game on PC right now.

Of course all of the above flies in the face of what EA would want… LOL

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have!  Your logic still holds true though!

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd all have!  Your logic still holds true though!

Haha. So true.
Good one

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

@JC. 

Did I see some discussion on the other forum involving you indicating that online tournaments and other features for Rory had been revived by EA sometime recently?

Very interesting if so...

#19 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:14 AM

@JC. 

Did I see some discussion on the other forum involving you indicating that online tournaments and other features for Rory had been revived by EA sometime recently?

Very interesting if so...

Yeah, someone alerted me to it so I reinstalled RMPGAT on my XBox One X and gave it another go.  I was surprised at how many people were playing in the Daily tournaments... like hundreds!?  I'd like to know what their motive for this might be?  Gauging market interest for another golf game, possibly?

I played a couple of rounds, including an entry in the Daily Pro tournament, but the gameplay and limited presentation options in this game is simply not for me.  I love its looks, graphically though.  Plug in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13's swing interface and presentation options into RMPGAT, and I'd be a happy camper!

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, someone alerted me to it so I reinstalled RMPGAT on my XBox One X and gave it another go.  I was surprised at how many people were playing in the Daily tournaments... like hundreds!?  I'd like to know what their motive for this might be?  Gauging market interest for another golf game, possibly?

I played a couple of rounds, including an entry in the Daily Pro tournament, but the gameplay and limited presentation options in this game is simply not for me.  I love its looks, graphically though.  Plug in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13's swing interface and presentation options into RMPGAT, and I'd be a happy camper!

It's very interesting indeed and seems very unlikely to have happened by accident..

I wonder what is really going on behind the scenes on golf with both EA and HB.

HB going silent and doing and saying nothing for so long combined with EA reactivating servers for what we thought was a long dead interest of theirs...is curious for sure..

• JCat04 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users