Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

That is indeed good.

Unity has offered a free version on PC, so no real reason why they shouldn't offer the same for console users/developers. Granted the free version will be lacking some of the bells and whistles of the full blown paid for version, but is generally seen a sufficient to reproduce some top quality content.

;)

#3 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#4 milese

milese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Isn't UNITY supposed to  be very compatible with the Occulus Rift (VR headsets)? imagine the immersion level if this was implemented.....

#5 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

I downloaded Unity free today and after taking a look at a terrain begginner video, I can say it looks a bit like 3DS Max with its XYZ axis, ability to create shapes and and import, export and create scripts, While I watched a Vimeo video of course creation using forge in unity, the drawing of shapes looks similar to the Terain assist, except in the TA one has to create each point individually rather thn just draw the outline of the shape then correct each point of that shape much as you would with the line tool in max, or PHotoshop, using the magic wand. , Unity it seems also has a store that has many free and not so free texture's and objects to add to the course, I noticed the clubhouse in Eastlake video and wonder how hard it would be to make a structure such as that with the tools available, I am hoping one has the ability to add spectators and Tourney objects to a course as we did at CGX with TW to give the course that realistic Tournament feeling.

I know Links has had the ability to create basically everything for the course from golfers to bench seats and clothing and clubs for years, I also know EA flogged a lot of this gear at cost with TWO , creating or should I say importing forge into Unity looks reasonably easy, the APCD had the ability to import the Dem into it, it appears this is what I was looking at, which would be fine with a reasonable Dem from something like the USGS site, but to do the same for Dems from other countries, I was wondering how difficult it could be, as I have at times spent months on one course, hand drawing the shapes and measuring the distance to get scale right, from courses with very poor imagery onto a dem from a site that has good if not great detailed dems from say scandanavia, such as the Danish European tour course played as part of the Euro tour this year.

CGX Bruce R

#6 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

Unity is pretty bare-bones as far as model construction goes. You can create a few primitive objects but it's barely enough to prototype a layout. CourseForge had to give Unity the ability even to draw shapes. A clubhouse - that's definitely the domain of a DCC tool like Blender, Sketchup, Max, Maya,...

Getting DEMs in is pretty easy, however TerrainForge needs a few trivial changes to make it a piece of cake. TerrainForge handles maps and elevation data from Bing which covers the world. The data is not as high resolution as from some other places, but it's far, far better than nothing.

A lot of the free vegetation, and even paid vegetation, on Unity's store is pretty poor compared to the library of trees that comes with CourseForge. But they're going to become very tired very quickly. Many trees in Course Forge have been created with Unity's in-built tree creator, so you've got the tools to modify them which is far easier than creating new trees from scratch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users