23 replies to this topic

#1 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Since the patch yesterday it seems like the Chip and Pitch shot have changed quite a bit? Was this by design?The pitch shot definitely has way more distance and rollout. The 64 wedge chip seems to be going about other 15 to 20 feet further.Was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same

Justin

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#2 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

Yes I've noticed too. Mishit splash shots are different as well

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

No changes to mis-hits on splash shots at all.

Pitch launch angle was reduced slightly by default but of course you can use the loft up in the shot center to hit it higher if you want to. In practice the pitch was coming too close to the lob functionality without any of the drawbacks so in order to put scrambling stats back in the realms of where they should be, we introduced this minor change.

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Maybe I'm putting too much oomph on my mishit bunker shots haha. 

I like that pitching has been made a little tougher and not just drop and stop.

#5 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike. I didn't see anything mentioned in the release notes that physics were changed on those shots.

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#6 Kimmer1947

Kimmer1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

Concur with Justin's original post. Need to adjust my chipping and pitching..... no biggie. 

#7 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

The part that's confusing to me is that the stated distances for chipping were spot on prior to the update and now they don't seem to correlate to what's actually happening.  So I've got to re calibrate it myself.  A chip that say it will go 40 feet goes well beyond 40 feet even if hit perfectly.

But maybe I'm just hitting it well today?  Not sure... but I had my chipping dialed in quite well prior to the release and now something feels different.  Distance seems to be the biggest change to me.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#8 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:34 PM

The part that's confusing to me is that the stated distances for chipping were spot on prior to the update and now they don't seem to correlate to what's actually happening.  So I've got to re calibrate it myself.  A chip that say it will go 40 feet goes well beyond 40 feet even if hit perfectly.

But maybe I'm just hitting it well today?  Not sure... but I had my chipping dialed in quite well prior to the release and now something feels different.  Distance seems to be the biggest change to me.

There are a few things that could be the underlying cause of a chip going more than its' given distance.  Hitting it thin,  hitting into a downslope, a stimp setting above 10, a hard setting giving you a bit more bounce when it lands on the green or any combination of the above.  The only time a perfectly hit chip should give you the default distance is on a perfectly flat, normal green at stimp 10.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#9 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

There are a few things that could be the underlying cause of a chip going more than its' given distance.  Hitting it thin,  hitting into a downslope, a stimp setting above 10, a hard setting giving you a bit more bounce when it lands on the green or any combination of the above.  The only time a perfectly hit chip should give you the default distance is on a perfectly flat, normal green at stimp 10.

Yea, I know all those things.  But I think what we're saying is that, even when taking those into consideration something appears to have changed in the current release.  Prior to the release I could gauge these sorts of things.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#10 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'll tell you what, I definitely have a lot more stutter than ever before... not only with the swing meter, but ball roll on both fairway and green... Illinois was just unplayable for me.  Prior to either the update/patch, I never had this issue.    Does the game need to be optimized every time a new update or patch is released?      

#11 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

I'll tell you what, I definitely have a lot more stutter than ever before... not only with the swing meter, but ball roll on both fairway and green... Illinois was just unplayable for me.  Prior to either the update/patch, I never had this issue.    Does the game need to be optimized every time a new update or patch is released?      

This is interesting to me.  I actually had stutters in the LAST version and this one is buttery smooth.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#12 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

Well all I can say is go to Crystal Pines #12 and take some chips. The top tier of that green is about perfectly flat. Using the 64 wedge chipping on 10 stimp normal firmness at 100% will go 55 feet. That's 15 feet more than it says. Prior to this update I would only get 38 feet. So with new people coming in going by what the clubs say, Will turn them off fast. Same thing with the pitches. Hopefully if they're keeping it this way in the next update they can re-name the clubs for distances

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

I've seen various reports of stuttering after updates but I don't think it's anything to do with the content. What it could be is your hard drive basically filing the new stuff into different parts of the disc as it goes. I sometimes have this issue but once I've played the game a couple of times everything seems to smooth out.

I can't think of anything codewise that would cause any issues.

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

Well all I can say is go to Crystal Pines #12 and take some chips. The top tier of that green is about perfectly flat. Using the 64 wedge chipping on 10 stimp normal firmness at 100% will go 55 feet. That's 15 feet more than it says. Prior to this update I would only get 38 feet. So with new people coming in going by what the clubs say, Will turn them off fast. Same thing with the pitches. Hopefully if they're keeping it this way in the next update they can re-name the clubs for distances

Yes we will update the new distances. The 64 wedge got a couple of degrees shaved off it's launch conditions due to the technique usually employed on chips which is hands ahead and this delofting the clubface a little. 

The feedback we have so far is that the 64 is now releasing out like a chip should do. No other changes were made to chipping so this should be the only club distance affected. 

On a side note the chipping distances are heavily affected by the terrain slope as you might expect so you can't just look at the distance guide and expect it will always give you the perfect information.

• Fairwayman and mebby like this

#15 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

Yes we will update the new distances. The 64 wedge got a couple of degrees shaved off it's launch conditions due to the technique usually employed on chips which is hands ahead and this delofting the clubface a little. 

The feedback we have so far is that the 64 is now releasing out like a chip should do. No other changes were made to chipping so this should be the only club distance affected. 

On a side note the chipping distances are heavily affected by the terrain slope as you might expect so you can't just look at the distance guide and expect it will always give you the perfect information.

Thanks Mike.  This makes good sense to me and once the club distance is updated everything will be in line.  I do like the way the ball is behaving on chips.  Looks and feels very nice.  It just took me by surprise at first because it was behaving differently than it use to.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#16 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

I've seen various reports of stuttering after updates but I don't think it's anything to do with the content. What it could be is your hard drive basically filing the new stuff into different parts of the disc as it goes. I sometimes have this issue but once I've played the game a couple of times everything seems to smooth out.

I can't think of anything codewise that would cause any issues.

Thanks Mike... ok, I will load the courses up again and see if it smooths out.   Illinois is one of my favorites and would hate it if it continued to stutter..  

#17 DC#1

DC#1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationWalnut Grove,MN

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

A quick question on chip and pitch distance. When you choose a 60w and the distance says it goes 66 ft  when hit at 100% or whatever it is, is that with the stimpmeter on 10.

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

D,

Yes I think it is based on 10 stimp on flat greens. I have achieved more or less the stated values when testing on a flat green with 10 stimp set.

#19 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

Interesting that using 3 click I did get about 55 feet but with the mouse swing I averaged 43 feet.  What with the tempo element in MS the chips ranged from about 20 feet to 60+ feet depending upon the speed of my swing (too slow/too fast) but the chips that had the "feel" of the right tempo were in the 42 - 44 foot range.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#20 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

A quick question on chip and pitch distance. When you choose a 60w and the distance says it goes 66 ft  when hit at 100% or whatever it is, is that with the stimpmeter on 10.

I think you will find that the 66ft for 60w is the carry distance so under average conditions and a clean shot the ball will approx. land at that distance, however it does not take into account other factors. You have work them out yourself.

This will apply to all of the clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users