#1 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

I play at pro level MS which is a bit flattering since I have yet to break par on any course.  I like the challenge and can see improvement in my all-round game as I practise more.  Great, that's as it should be.   What drives me nuts is that I probably add about 2 shots per round on average by missing putts inside 3 feet.  I find it so hard, however hard I try and whatever technique I use, to keep the mouse dead straight on those tiddlers.  My plea is for a tad more leniency on those very short putts.  I know they can be missed even by pros but they shouldn't be quite that tricky IMO.  I know quite a few people would like putting at the highest level to be a bit tougher and I favour that if it means giving the user a bit less information (as in real life).  I consider these very short putts to be a separate issue, more to do with an over-fiddly and totally unforgiving mouse mechanism.  

• IanK likes this

#2 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

try playing at one lever lower?

i think the highest level should be difficult and as such wont be playable for me.

i am ok at amatuer now, usually doing a few above par, but thats beacuse i dont like practising hehe

still i notice imporvements..so thats very realistc

#3 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

I play at pro level MS which is a bit flattering since I have yet to break par on any course.  I like the challenge and can see improvement in my all-round game as I practise more.  Great, that's as it should be.   What drives me nuts is that I probably add about 2 shots per round on average by missing putts inside 3 feet.  I find it so hard, however hard I try and whatever technique I use, to keep the mouse dead straight on those tiddlers.  My plea is for a tad more leniency on those very short putts.  I know they can be missed even by pros but they shouldn't be quite that tricky IMO.  I know quite a few people would like putting at the highest level to be a bit tougher and I favour that if it means giving the user a bit less information (as in real life).  I consider these very short putts to be a separate issue, more to do with an over-fiddly and totally unforgiving mouse mechanism.  

Welcome to the short 3 foot putt blues.  I am a 3 clicker and I have the exact same problem.  As do nearly everyone.  So this is mutually shared by both MS and 3-click.   I'd rather have a 10 foot putt than a 2 or 3 footer. LOL!

I however do not agree on more leniency.  I have been saying for months if the various Tours dropped the 2 ft. Gimme Putt on tournaments the scoring averages would go up a stroke or so.  

Why make the game harder when the game already has a hardness factor not being used where it count.  In Tournament Play!

Sure gimmes speed up the multiplayer rounds.   Yet I keep hearing PGA statistic this, PGA statistics that, bantered around a lot.  News flash!  The PGA Tour has no gimme's in regular PGA Tournament events.  Special Match play events Yes!  they do.  The players @ PG tend to ignore PGA rules when it benefits their game.  

Anyway the 3 foot putt is a problem that needs some attention paid to it.  

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#4 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

The point is putt difficulty should be linear. At the moment it's just as easy to miss a 3 foot putt as it is to miss a 10 foot putt. That can't be quite right. I brought up the short putt difficulty issue quite a while ago but without acknowledgement. I guess that if most people are ok with it nothing will change.
  • erwildcat likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#5 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

I have had the PG yips for a while now on those short putts and they have driven me mad at times and this is the one area of the game you must take all the time in the world on.  The one thing I will say is that this part of the game mirrors my IRL game better than any I have ever seen as that 3 ft putt has haunted me for many years IRL so why not here.   Lately with my new gaming mouse I have been better but the truth is its not the mouse its the holder of the mouse so my advise would be to just concentrate more on this aspect of the game.  For the record I hope this stays the same as that sort of putt has been hauting Amatuer and Pro golfers for ever and is part of the game so IMO the Devs got it right even if it is killing me and my score.

#6 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

I missed one today but I didn't use the BLI  - I have found I have to use the BLI even on the shortest of putts to be able to hopefully make the putt.  

The other thing is on many holes there is a significant tiny bumps or dips right next to the hole the pins need to have flat smoothing where the pin is placed each designer needs to do this . Just slamming the pin in a spot and not evening out the area next to the cup is a mistake I think 

so your only hope if you are not currently using the BLI on the short putts is to use it too. Makes ya look like an idiot when ya play though when the hole is so close 

villegas.jpg

• Greensboronclion likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#7 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

The flatening around the cup is exactly whats needed. I think the USGA gudelines are that it should be flat as possible in  a radius of 2-3ft around the cup. 

Not sure how CF works but would have thought to save the designers some work, if possible when placing a cup on a green it should auto have a 3ft mesh around it so it flattens that area totally. 

We play 4ft gimmes on Sim Tour, as hitting very low ball speed putts on a launch monitor can cause some misreads, and would need to have putts below 3 MPH for a 4ft putt, but sometime were left at 4ft 2" for example and the amount of turn that can be found at that distance is far too much at times. At that sort of distance i wouldnt expect to be aiming more than a balls width outside the cup and that would be a big turn, but sometimes its far more.

• J.H.Buchanan likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#8 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

Is it possibly something the sensitivity of the mouse can be used to compensate for perhaps the swing ? Maybe a Putting Only Mouse Sensitivity sliding adjustment would help... maybe it would hinder ?

#9 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Is it possibly something the sensitivity of the mouse can be used to compensate for perhaps the swing ? Maybe a Putting Only Mouse Sensitivity sliding adjustment would help... maybe it would hinder ?

I only speak for myself but sensitivity is not an issue imo.  I see 18 inch putts with a good 4 or 5 inches of break.   Under 2 feet and huge breaks are very common in PG. Play the break and poof I miss low.  Play speed and I miss high.  I also miss those buggers just off the lip.  Speed is more effective than touch because touch makes for a sure miss below the hole, as  the ball dies breaks extra hard. My lip outs are a result of being a bit to hard.  I personally make as many 10 ft. putts as I do 3 ft and in.

Seems to me pin placements are purposely being made on slopes by the designers.  A course like Black Swan IMO does not need tricky pin placements.  Where a course like Golden Meadows could use more tricky pin placements to protect the course some from scoring.  In defense of the designers,  I can see some of the earlier course releases used harder pin placements because of the now named assisted putting meter.   As that was the only putting meter PG had.  Golden Meadows was released specifically as an easier course for beginner and hacker difficulty players.  Again just my opinion.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#10 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

I only speak for myself but sensitivity is not an issue imo.  I see 18 inch putts with a good 4 or 5 inches of break.   Under 2 feet and huge breaks are very common in PG. Play the break and poof I miss low.  Play speed and I miss high.  I also miss those buggers just off the lip.  Speed is more effective than touch because touch makes for a sure miss below the hole, as  the ball dies breaks extra hard. My lip outs are a result of being a bit to hard.  I personally make as many 10 ft. putts as I do 3 ft and in.

Seems to me pin placements are purposely being made on slopes by the designers.  A course like Black Swan IMO does not need tricky pin placements.  Where a course like Golden Meadows could use more tricky pin placements to protect the course some from scoring.  In defense of the designers,  I can see some of the earlier course releases used harder pin placements because of the now named assisted putting meter.   As that was the only putting meter PG had.  Golden Meadows was released specifically as an easier course for beginner and hacker difficulty players.  Again just my opinion.

This is one of the most accurate sensible posts in the last 45 seconds of all the forums. 

• erwildcat likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Golden Meadows was released specifically as an easier course for beginner and hacker difficulty players.  Again just my opinion.

...now I know why I enjoy Golden Meadows so much!  :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users