4 replies to this topic

#1 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

I guess this should go in the Terrain Forge section, but it seems dead, so I will post here.   I am curious about the capability of importing the terrain or .crz files (Links course files) into TF/CF.   Does anyone have any insight to how this works, does it work yet and/or has anyone tried it?   Also, will there be some type of stipulation to what can and cannot be imported... ie a Microsoft course, redone in TF/CF?    If there are none, just think about how much more quickly we would have beautiful renditions of classic Links courses, imported into PG.   Would save time and players can get their hands on more courses in a shorter period of time.   Not saying rush through it, of course it would take some time to decorate the landscape and all, but I think it would be a HUGE plus for non-designers and people who just want to play...  you can collect them all!   

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Yes it works, and many are using TF to convert their LINKS designs.

Still, you basically get a heightmap and terrain, everything else

must be added but will go much quicker than what was done

using the APCD. And by quicker I mean months instead of

a year or two. 

Can you build a playable 18 hole PG golf course in a day? YES

Will it look like a real golf course? NO

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Thanks NP.   Due to time constraints and without CF being released yet, I have slowed down practicing Unity... so the bottom line is, I need to decide that IF I am going to take on the challenge of creating a course, I need to make the best use of my time.    Thus, my question about TF.. I am all for putting the time into the details of the course, trees bushes, etc... but to build one from complete scratch would take, like you said, months.. maybe even a year or so.   So, having the layout/terrain of the golf course up front would be best for me and my time.  

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

I believe you can only import your own courses or courses you have permission to use. No idea how this is implemented though, if this is the case.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

I am not just going to use anyone's Links course without permission...I wouldn't do that and IF I decide to go this route, of course I would ask for permission.   But over the many years of meeting nice people at LC, some were designers and I don't see a problem with asking them if I could use their .crz file to import into TF.  

You never know, this may encourage them to do it themselves (I hope!).   The other alternative is to use Bing maps and import the actual terrain/landscape.   This actually might be the way to go anyway. 

All of the above are just random thoughts...  At the very least, I am just looking forward to messing around with TF/CF and hopefully being able to create something that other people can enjoy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users