14 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

Non designer here, but this crossed my mind.  If you knew that PG would have been released much later than anticipated, would you still have stopped designing courses for the previous games you played?  

I think I remember seeing several comments from LINKS 2003 and TW designers who are now focusing their energy on learning the new software.  

#2 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

I didn't stop... The way I look at it, there is no course designer or golf game here, so I wouldn't stop, besides, i love the TW's CA and the game and until something comes along that is as good or better, I won't stop.. So far, I haven't seen it yet... ;)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

The Course Forge is not publicly available, so there has been no reason for designers to stop making courses in Links 2003, TW '08, JN etc. unless they have drifted off to TGC and abandoned the older games.

In anticipation of the CF release, some old game designers are learning Unity 3D, as this is the tool that the terrain will be sculpted in and trees and objects planted. Course Forge is just an Asset Tool overlay which lets the layout of the course be drawn, textures applied and tees and pins added to make the course playable.

A lot of the hard work tweaking elevations and slopes is purely Unity 3D.

#4 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

I have a real course in Links 2003 which I stopped designing one year ago as I hoped to transfer it to Course Forge (yes I actually thought back then that it would not be long). However I have resumed designing for TW2008 while I await the arrival of Perfect Golf.

#5 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

I have a real course in Links 2003 which I stopped designing one year ago as I hoped to transfer it to Course Forge (yes I actually thought back then that it would not be long). However I have resumed designing for TW2008 while I await the arrival of Perfect Golf.

Jimbo,

What about the Liniks 2003 version?

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#6 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Jimbo,

What about the Liniks 2003 version?

Jerry

Sorry Jerry, I could not face doing all the seam blends to complete the Links 2003 version. That is one of the main reasons for waiting for Course Forge, the seam blending seems to be far easier to do.

#7 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

LInks 2003 course files can be converted to Unity using the Terrain Forge.

I believe it creates a heightmap from the elevation data in the CRZ and the course textures are overlaid as the terrain. all you then do is re-draw the course using Course Forge.

MJ did his PP version of Crystal Pines and Shadowlands using this method IIRC.

#8 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Sorry Jerry, I could not face doing all the seam blends to complete the Links 2003 version. That is one of the main reasons for waiting for Course Forge, the seam blending seems to be far easier to do.

Could you offer the Links crz file to one of the other designers so they can finish it then? Not knowing what course it is but I am sure a post at Links Corner describing the course and file that one of the designers still working will offer to complete it for you.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#9 Munroco

Munroco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I used to use the TW06 creator. I was really excited to see the Course Forge demos and have been looking forward to using it. My old Windows XP PC has long since given up the ghost, so although I'd like to get back to designing courses, I'm in limbo atm. TGC course designer holds no interest for me so the sooner Course Forge comes out the better.

Cheers

Neil

(Nice to see some old friends on this thread btw.)

#10 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Great to see you are still around Neil. I ordered the TGC course designer and soon got very bored, so I will just have to wait for Course Forge and hope that Perfect Golf will be a decent game to play. I have forced myself to try to complete a course for TW2008 which I started 3 years ago . . . LOL

#11 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

I can't wait to get back into designing. 

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#12 alantoft

alantoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, England

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Same here. It's been a few years since I designed courses for any of the games.

#13 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'm keen to get started too. I hope PP consider releasing CF and CT ASAP so we can spend time practicing and learning.

Peter

#14 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hi guys, I had a lot of good times with your gorgeous courses in Links 2003. Glad to see you are in here. Can´t wait to tee off :)

#15 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

I still design with the TW CA, a program called terrain assist and collect Orthos with a script created by Jim Meier, I recently made courses for the Euro PGA tournaments, Made in Denmark and The Czech Masters. as well as structures for the courses.

I will continue to design, regardless whenever the Course designer for PP comes out.

CGX Bruce R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users