14 replies to this topic

#1 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'm doing some research for future Classic Rendition releases. We have The Camargo Club in Cincinnati Ohio in our sights. Any avid golf course nuts like us at Classic Renditions will know it as a Seth Raynor design of the highest order.

But there's a problem
Golf courses that have been largely untouched since the 1920's are short by today's standards meaning intended landing areas and shot types are becoming irrelevant.

So...
Don't you it would be cool if we had a vintage setting where a 250-60 yard drive is the norm and you are hitting 3-5 irons into greens not bombing drivers 320 yards and hitting a sand iron into a green intended for an entirely different ball flight.

Maybe you can even have a vintage avatar and clubs.

Not a new idea of course but just a thought for the future and a way to keep some classic courses alive and relevant.

All the best
Classic Renditions
  • Arsam, Ron Piskorik, ed dawson and 4 others like this

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Would be good for courses like these if the API or MOP could be set to allow the Driver to be removed from the bag, thus leaving 3W as longest club.

Then you could have vintage tour events where a bit more course management comes in to play.

I often used to play Links 2003 and leave the Driver out of the bag to spice up rounds on the older real time recreations, that were not designed with 300+ yd tee shots in mind.

#3 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

Will be awesome for sim play as us mere mortals only hit it that far anyway :)

• Dazmaniac, DriverDivots and rbarthle17 like this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#4 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

Even without the ability to remove the driver, and assuming that there would be one or two places where the driver length if pushed would actually be starting to take you to places beyond the original designer's vision, I think a course where you have to think you way around due to the advancement of equipment design changing their parameters is absolutely fine. Such courses may mean that scoring totals would be lower, but I don't always see the need to carve out contrived new tee positions simply to not leave them at the mercy of longer hitters. In real life, if a plot had limited potential for length to be found then an acceptable alternative to that would be to re-imagine the green complexes and create some pin locations which would raise the challenge and examination of another aspect of the competitor's game.

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#5 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

I'm definitely in favour of adjusting all the clubs to play like they did 30 years ago or more. I love it if we had a turn of the century set with niblicks and mashies, hickory shafts, the full works. Then we would appreciate just how good those old great players were. Gutta percha balls too, or featheries, lets see how well we shoot then!

• gravedodger likes this

#6 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I've suggested once or twice previously that I think it would be good to be able to set-up custom club distances and be able to switch between them.  I've often thought that you could have the default ranges as defined by PP for official tournaments and then be able to create your own ranges to better replicate your own golf game.

I absolutely appreciate that there must be a fair amount of coding in place to set the current spin rates, club speeds etc so I don't think for one second that it would be easy but I do think it would be a good addition somewhere down the line.

• DC#1 and SReesor like this

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#7 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

The ability to buy vintage clubs might be available when the pro shop is open.

• Acrilix likes this

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#8 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

In Links you have an option to reduce the distance on your clubs when creating a personal Ani. I used to play some rounds like that with friends where we reduced the max distance to our real life distance and playing from member tees etc. It was pretty realistic. Less flight, more roll etc. making it all much more 'real'. Sometimes painfully so ... -_- :wacko: :D

• RobV and granite00 like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#9 DriverDivots

DriverDivots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

I agree with johnmeyer.  It sounds like perfect distances anyway for sim users.

Sounds like all you would really need to do is make another tee box moved back to accommodate the PC users that can click it to 300+ yards.  That way they are landing in the same landing zone with a 3-5 iron in..

Love what you are doing with Classic Renditions.  

#10 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

now thats an idea i absolutely love.....hwo i would love to be able to play the old course at st andrews at around 1920-30 or so.

it might be tough to get the data needed tho.

since i have played with real wooden, persimmon woods.....no need for these huge distances, more focus on shotshaping.

#11 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

Great idea...not sure how it can be worked apart from as stated, Driver is not allowed.

As others have stated, the fact that the older courses weren't built with 300yds drives in mind, doesn't always mean a problem, the extra length could put you in not such a favourable spot  as you might be if you took an iron off the tee for position. Just a different way of playing.....go for it and risk not being in position A1 or play for position as the course was designed.

Will be interesting if different club sets can be forced for a round/competition.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#12 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

The ability to buy vintage clubs might be available when the pro shop is open.

I definitely think that this is something that PP should consider for a little extra income. Who knows, there may eventually be enough players and interest for tournaments to be run with a vintage club restriction.

• Arsam and Ian like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#13 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

I definitely think that this is something that PP should consider for a little extra income. Who knows, there may eventually be enough players and interest for tournaments to be run with a vintage club restriction.

Sign me up!

#14 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

I guess it would up to the devs to implement such a club restriction tool.  I'm all for it as long as it's optional.

I'm doing some research for future Classic Rendition releases. We have The Camargo Club in Cincinnati Ohio in our sights. Any avid golf course nuts like us at Classic Renditions will know it as a Seth Raynor design of the highest order.

I live in Cincinnati strangely enough. :D  Don't have a membership though so I would be useless in providing anything like custom photos of the course.  Hopefully there will be enough online for you.

By the way, don't forget to check the PM I sent ya last week. B)

#15 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:49 PM

http://historyshots....ugusta-national

The modern course has already been built in PG - I wonder how hard it would be to roll it back to '34...  ;)

Edit - Looks like EA had a similar idea and built the old course for TW14.  Shame they went to all that trouble and made buyers of the game play with a forced sepia look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users