#1 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

So far, there isn't a golf game out there, that implements a realistic swing mechanic.

In my opinion there should be three independant variables, that should influence the result of a shot:

1. (As is there already) Mouse back and forth in a linear manner. Pushing left or right results in a hook or slice. To hit the ball with the heel or the toe of the club is also implemented (For instance in Links trueswing)#

2. Rhythm of the swing. The tempo should be crucial for shot power. Swinging too slow or to fast (could be related to your personal swing) should result in a change of shot distance. Too fast could result in more distance (maybe in a window between 101 to 110 %), too slow in a loss of distance (90 to 99 %). Losing 5 % of distance on a 200 yards shot would be 10 yards. Quite a significant change.

3. Hitting the ball thin or fat. Would be great to implement the swing plane. Hitting the ball clean should be a task - as in real life. I don't know hoe that could be imlemented into a mouse swing.

What are your opinions? Any more variables you can think of? And how could my suggestions be implemented technically?

#2 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hello, i think your words are pretty interesting but i'm not so technical to answer something of right about it,
anyway i'm sure someone skilled will...

#3 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I don't know if it is too difficult to implement multiple variables into a mouse action. All i know is, that there is a lot of room for improvement to simulate a swing in any golf game.

Swing directory, swing tempo, swing plane and clean contact to the ball implemented in a swing would be a great start (Could be a combination of mouse movement and clicking). Golf is all about feel. In computer games so far it is all about a mechanical up und down (Be it with a mouse or a controller).

#4 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

I am 100% in agreement with you regarding tempo... or whether it's chosen to be called rhythm... as I have recently in the beta testing. However I have been mainly talking about the clicking and speed/snap etc not the mouse movement swing.

Whether such a thing can be developed is the money spinning question...

However, I'm thinking more of a calibrated swing to be honed for use in such a way, the game uses it as a measure for you. For example, you take X amount of practice shots to gain a swing speed you are comfortable with. It has to be within a defined speed, so you can't crawl along, and you can't flick it like a Wii controller either. Defining that speed may be tough, but only to a degree of either slowing it down a little (losing 20yds distance too) or speeding it a little faster (gaining distance).

Once defined, every swing you take over 75% (3/4 swing) will take into account this tempo... too fast and trying to control accuracy will be tougher. Too slow and similar results, albeit alot more detail here is missing.

Some other thoughts would be to have the downswing automated... so once you reach the upswing maximum you seek, the club or visual, continues briefly returning to the downswing. Failure to keep your downswing as close to automated downswing as possible results in various shot types. It's not ideal, and it's something similar suggested by someone else regarding a click swing.

#5 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Could you not introduce tempo into the game by linking it to accuracy and club distance accuracy....might not be easy to explain, but here goes!

Fast tempo: your swingmeter or mouse swing is quick, but makes dialling in each club distance a little more difficult.

Slow tempo: as above, but club distance control is a little easier.

There could be medium tempo or a range between fast and slow.

You may ask, why won't we all choose slow? Good point!

Well, the benefit of fast(er) tempo is in over swing giving greater distance percentage wise than slow tempo

So, now, why don't we all choose fast? Another good point'

This is where you link into accuracy, i.e. Swinging with fast tempo (click or mouse) should penalise you slightly less for missing snap than slow tempo, where it's easier to hit snap.

The usual over swing penalties apply.....fast tempo and over swing - missed snap equals wild accuracy.

Any thoughts?

#6 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Not sure how you could implement a complete swing (hand, Arm, Body Rotation etc) into a swing for a mouse that only needs a hand and maybe 3 fingers. Don't get me wrong, but I keep saying that in every golf game forum: There is no way to get realism into a mouse swing. Maybe into a Wii controller, but even that would be hard enough I guess.

I like to read about ideas how to improve mouse swing, but I'd never add "realistic" into it, because it will never be realistic. Not even close to that...

Who cares...

#7 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Target should be, to make feel a more important variable. The great pitch and chip players in the game aren't that good in that department, because they can move the club straight back and straight forth. They are, because they have the feel for the club, soft hands and are hitting the ball in the right spot (good contact). Different type of shots demand different club speeds and different motions. Isn't implemented well in any golf game so far.

Especially the short game would gain a lot by the implementation of club speed, rhythm of swing and the need to hit the ball at the desired spot. Difficulty would maybe increase but as well the reward for the player, when he does it well.

Is it possible to recreate a golf swing with the motion of the mouse? No!! But it would be (or should be) possible to implement more of the important factors of golf than just pulling a mouse back und pushing a mouse forward in a straight line.

#8 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

It would be interesting to see if the mouse swing movement could require the mouse to turn/pivot along with moving forward and backwards AND button pressing to add more of a coordinated requirement.  Not a very well thought out idea and not sure if it would be a nightmare to program this kind of thing.  

Suppose for a right hander, the backswing starts with the mouse moving backwards AND turning counterclockwise (top of the mouse rotates left) until the mouse is approaching sideways AND the left mouse button is held down (simulating weight loading maybe?)

The forward swing reverses the motion (rotating the mouse back to it's original position) while moving forward and the button is released at impact.

Although this could be hell on the wrists with the button being held down lol

Maybe forget the button and just use the mouse movement.

Again, not very well thought out...

#9 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

Tigerwoods Trueswing offers the only true physics of the real golf swing that I have seen, hopefully its part of the game

CGX Bruce R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users