5 replies to this topic

#1 milese

milese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hi guys

Been several months since I last came here and it is very exciting to see some signficant development with the private alpha testing etc.

One of things that I found truly immersive with Links was the ability to have user created soundscripts. Those of you who enjoyed Links will no doubt remember the delights of the TKS scripts and UK soundscripts available for download.

Are there any plans for this type of moddability in PG?

#2 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

Connecting with this site recently fueled my interest again in Links 2003, so I put it back on, and found a couple of sounds that are absolutelly brilliant. Natural Wall of Sounds and Multiscript 2003, 2 superb ingame sound files.

shot 130 in my 1st game in 8 years and 102 both on the hardest levels, I had also forgot about the Real Time swing which is basically Trueswing from TW, and using Links Pro Distance was able to hit the ball dead straight from the outset, reason for higher scores, which I realize is off topic was the putting, absolutelly horrendous, trying to learn that again after all that time, especially as I was a 3 clicker back in the old days, if I ever get any good at it with the hardest possible settings, I might find my way back to Links Corner for a reason other than the HD courses that have been put out for quite sometime, again I apologize for going off topic.

I Like to play as realistically as possible, thats why I am here, I know PG will give me that ......

CGX Bruce R

#3 scottpussehl

scottpussehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

I am pretty sure that we will have sounds in the game, I believe I remember reading K11 talking about putting sounds in his latest course.

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

I was talking about audio-loops for the different environments on my course: Birdsong - Crickets - Wetlands with waves, frogs and ducks. It's part of my job as a designer to create a fitting audio atmosphere. Or to seek out, download and attach one made by somebody else.

Mileses question was more about in-game commentaries, like the unforgettable one by Bobcat Goldthwait back in Links (and the capability to choose between different versions and even to import self-made ones). afaik there has been no word of this kind of moddability. That does not mean it won't happen, because technically, it should be possible to include. If so, and I can only guess, this will not be available from the start. But with PG being a modern re-incarnation of Links (the Devs don't like to hear that statement at all, btw. Still...) there is at least a chance that such a thing, one day, might become a reality. Or not. We'll see...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

K11, perhaps you could elucidate a bit more on how course specific sounds are done. I've had a look at the Unity manual to see how sounds are placed and used within Unity but how does one differentiate between what would be a generic Unity sound, ie a water splash or club sound, to be used by all courses in PG versus a specific sound that is unique to a specific course, ie frogs near a marsh in Willow Heath? 

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

JoeF, I will gladly elaborate once I have sussed it out myself. The theory is easy: Sound files get attached to a 3D object and then can be set up to emanate from it, either constantly or when triggered by some event (like a virutal golf player approaching).

In practice, I'm still awaiting word from the guys at PP on:

- If the PG game build recognizes and imports Unity sounds at all. Best guess: It does. But I'd rather be sure.

- If there are any specific sound formats to use, on account of performance.

I have prepared 4 audio loops myself, each one lasting 45 seconds (another thing I'd like to be told more about: recommended duration), the bits and pieces coming mainly from freesound.org, a deliciously excellent treasure trove of millions of useful sounds. I then have edited them onto several tracks, added short effect sounds like buzzing flies or gurgling water or a scared bird to longer ambience like crickets, wind in the grass, soft waves. In short, I've done all I could do for and now await further guidance.

Oh, and here they are, you should be able to download a zip file and extract the folder with the 4 wav files from

THIS LINK.

Feel free to use it if you like them.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users