#1 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

I want to recreate whistling straits, is there a way to get bunkers to sit snug in the terrain without a mesh, if i were to recreate the scene below, i would have to surround it with a mesh thus taking away the ability to paint my own texture in that area, this has always bugged me, wish we could just drop a bunker anywhere.  I was thinking about dropping them without a mesh then surrounding them with thick grasses to hide the gaps created, as in the photo, what happens if a ball goes under the mesh?

whistling-straits.jpg

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#2 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

An Idea from a Newbie :

How about using the paint tool ... Guess it will no play as sand then ... but maybe there is a workarround that problem , that I yet not know ....

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

I think you have 2 options here. RobC has done some of the best work terrain painting peripheral/waste type bunkers in his Bandon courses. Checkout Bandon Trails. If the bunker falls in normal play within his meshes, obviously it's done traditionally with a mesh. If you wanted to limit outer meshing and allow some heather planting, you could probably make a bunker layet but just use something like Mikes green settings and set type to sand. It won't be dug into the terrain but you don't need that necessarily. However, you then have to blend in the edge of each of the bunkers or hide with heather. I'm using Robs method for Kiawah. I'd hate to have to deal with all those spline points with all those bunkers but that's just me.

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

DoGgz,

Maybe you could place the bunkers first,  lock their splines (so they don't pop back out when you refresh meshes), then shape the terrain around the edges so the terrain breaks through just enough to hide them and fully prevent a ball from going underneath.  

The low spot will still be a bunker and you can terrain paint and plant around them normally since there is no rough mesh.  Not sure if this would be the best solution. 

Good stuff mentioned by DPRoberts as well.  

• RobC likes this

#5 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

yeah bunkers that never come into play i will paint, no issues there.  When you say Mike's green settings, is there a thread with that included for me to reference, not quite sure what you mean.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

DoGgz,

Maybe you could place the bunkers first,  lock their splines (so they don't pop back out when you refresh meshes), then shape the terrain around the edges so the terrain breaks through just enough to hide them and fully prevent a ball from going underneath.  

The low spot will still be a bunker and you can terrain paint and plant around them normally since there is no rough mesh.  Not sure if this would be the best solution. 

yes maybe, i have never been sure what the lock icon is for anyway?? thanks

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

DoGgz,

I like this idea...I looked at whistling Straits but couldn't get any decent Lidar data so decided against it but this is how I was going to go about all the millions of bunkers

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

yeah bunkers that never come into play i will paint, no issues there. When you say Mike's green settings, is there a thread with that included for me to reference, not quite sure what you mean.

Sorry. You could clone his green layer or tee layer from the layers library. Rename it like wastearea. Swap out the textures with your bunker textures. Change the little box top right that says green to sand (this changes the physics to sand). This allows you to draw flat sand meshes. You may have to mess with the blend to appear to your liking. The benefit over painting alone is physics control and not being so jagged as the paint is. It seems Bortimus idea would give you a lip and possibly be better. What a joy to place all those and lock all of them. Some disappear and realize and have to find which ones to lock. Ugh!

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

The problem with using the terrain breakthrough method is that the edges can look wonky.  Similar to waterplane edges where sometimes you get sharp edges that stand out if a player is close enough.  

Credit to NoPutt for mentioning something similar to using terrain breaking through splines long ago in an old CF thread. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users