#1 chrismess13

chrismess13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationButte County, CA

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

while fiddling around with CF and unity I came across this random terrain generator. I have messed with it a bit and have to say it's a great tool. After clicking on the link download the top option (Oct, 24 2010) when you place in unity it will prompt you that the program has portions that are out of date, or something along those lines, allow unity to update. Admittedly, I didn't back up as warned to do but I didn't encounter any problems. As time permits I will post some basic instructions, directions on how to use. Its one of those easy to use as long as you know where to start type of things.

https://code.google....olkit/downloads

#2 chrismess13

chrismess13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

How to get started;

In the game object menu go to 3d object then click terrain

in the hierarchy click on the new terrain (should be at bottom of the list) you can also use the terrain provided with CF but the changes will be subtle

in the inspector click on the wheel and adjust the size of the terrain

in the project window find the terrain tool kit folder click the arrow for the drop down and find TerrainToolKit it has a c# symbol next to it. Click and drag into the inspector under add component.

Now your ready to begin. So far I have only used fractal, smooth, and normalise. Not sure what Voronoi or Perlin does.

Select fractal, then presets if you want you can choose between none, rolling plains, rough mountains, and add noise.

You can also adjust delta and blend.

Then hit generate fractal terrain. If you don't like it make some adjustments if you wish and or hit generate again and again and again until you get something you like. keep in mind that this is still a rough draft. You can bring the elevation separation closer when you normalise.

Next you can mess around with erode and smooth if you desire, then normalise the terrain.

Last step is to add the textures so click texture then click add texture. you can add 5 textures plus a cliff texture.

Hit select in the checkered box to select a texture. If you're using the provided terrain the textures will already be filled in

if you use two or more textures you can adjust at what height range they appear. Hit apply procedural texture. If you don't like how it turned out make some adjustments and hit apply again. Rinse and repeat until happy.

Put a screenshot so you could get a visual, but alas it didn't show up in the post.

#3 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Put a screenshot so you could get a visual, but alas it didn't show up in the post.

I got this place from Mike Jones , to upload pictures to ...

https://imgsafe.org/

#4 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Just click the green picture in the tool bar above the text window here, then copy/paste the direct link.  Thanks for this info.  Going to look into it for sure.  I know I will want to venture out into different terrains some day soon.

#5 chrismess13

chrismess13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

A couple examples of a generated terrain. These are by no means the best one can do but for examples they work.

8e6fe4cded.jpg

8e74758ad8.jpg

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:41 PM

I have used Map Magic demo version to create a procedural terrain, paint and plant. It gets you to a good starting position to then contour and build from. You can build a much more realistic mountainous land scape than what you could do by hand. It is a bit fussy as CF only recognizes the "Terrain" and at position 0,0,0. Heck of a lot easier to generate peripheral terrain plots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users