13 replies to this topic

#1 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

I created a rock texture and was wondering if 'rock' properties can be applied to it. Ideally, so if a ball lands on it, the ball will react like it hit a rock.

ocTbg8I.jpg

j0ZxhsV.jpg

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Currently, no.  Only CF splines can have physics properties applied to them.  The general terrain is, however, rough.  You'd have to create the rock as a 3d object in Blender or Sketchup (or other 3d program) and then you could apply a physics property to it.

• uvmnick likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Art,

Could one or more of the existing rock prefabs from CF be used and resized, reshaped and then sunk in to the ground to try and get UV the effect he is after?
  • uvmnick likes this

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

You could draw a concrete mesh around it, then cut the mesh using the scissor/clipping hole spline icon.  The mesh will become invisible but the area inside the spline will still retain the concrete property and balls will react accordingly.   

Not the most elegant solution but it's one option.  It's useful if you have flattish rocky outcropping areas that you want to retain the look of their texture painting.

Using the rock prefabs is certainly the most common approach.   

• uvmnick likes this

#5 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've played around with the rock prefabs, but I like the flexibility that painting on textures and manipulating the terrains allows.

Bortimus, I will try your suggestion. Have you done this yourself?

#6 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've played around with the rock prefabs, but I like the flexibility that painting on textures and manipulating the terrains allows.

Bortimus, I will try your suggestion. Have you done this yourself?

I experimented with it for a terrain painted slanted rock wall and yes it does work.  I decided against it because the rock wall was too vertical and looked better with a 3D object.  

The areas that you are showing would work well I think since they are fairly flat to the ground.

Be aware that if a ball comes to rest on a clipped spline, the ball and player will hover a bit because the meshes are built a little above the terrain.  Some players may notice this but if it's concrete the ball will rarely come to rest on the rock.

It's worth a try.  If you want to keep the terrain texturing then it may be the way to go.  

Edit:  Since the PP meshes can be triangle intensive,  I wouldn't recommend doing this to every rocky area if you plan to have a lot of them around your course.  Only to the ones that could come into play.   

#7 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Art,

Could one or more of the existing rock prefabs from CF be used and resized, reshaped and then sunk in to the ground to try and get UV the effect he is after?

Sure could!
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#8 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

Art,

Hello all,

Kind of like this?

yUjiHul.jpg

MqvcbFf.png

SC  B)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Just FYI, when you alter the dimensions of a 3D object unevenly you will start to get the stretched looking textures as shown on the rocks above.     

If you can't scale them properly to fit the area, it might be better to use several objects instead of trying to make one do the job.  

#10 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Just FYI, when you alter the dimensions of a 3D object unevenly you will start to get the stretched looking textures as shown on the rocks above.     

Sometimes it's better to use several objects instead of trying to make one do the job.  

Hi bortimus,

I used 2 rocks but the point is taken. I was pretty happy with the results I was looking for. I actually wanted it to be even flatter. Perhaps if I had used a bunch of smaller rocks and stretched more of those flatter. I think I started that way but ended up doing this instead for the effect I was trying to create. I've found that satisfaction with rock stretching and enlarging techniques can be a bit subjective. To me it looks very much like rock features I have encountered in my environs even if not perfectly.

Cheers,

SC :)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#11 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

I created a rock texture and was wondering if 'rock' properties can be applied to it. Ideally, so if a ball lands on it, the ball will react like it hit a rock.

ocTbg8I.jpg

j0ZxhsV.jpg

I was thinking this same thing myself and I just thought to clone the concrete mesh and to name it as rock. Then I just drop a downloaded seamles rock texture to the layer (resize it) to replace the concrete image or just use the rock textures that were already there in the MJ's tutorial project.

Then I just use it the same way as those other spline meshes. And nobody is hoovering above the groud. Not tested this yet, so I can be too optimistic about it. If the terrain's shape is very sharp edged, this may not work too well.

I didn't know that the cutted hole in the mesh keeps the settings of the material around it. That's not a good news because those cutted areas are mostly rough IRL.

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hello all,

Kind of like this?

yUjiHul.jpg

MqvcbFf.png

SC B)

That's the idea.

I guess only problem using the 3D objects is if the ball rolls in to rock, the collision detection doesn't work, so the player would end up stood in the rock for his next shot.

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

I didn't know that the cutted hole in the mesh keeps the settings of the material around it. That's not a good news because those cutted areas are mostly rough IRL.

It will use the physics properties of the actual spline assigned to the cutout so you can make it any texture you want. 

#14 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Good to know:).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users