Photo

Ways to make recorded round comps appealing?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Well I don't know. That's why I asked.

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

been wondering if the friends recorded rounds even works

i have yet to find one round in there. having a hard time figuring why it is so hard for folks to

click an extra box to keep a few rounds on hand to allow friends a little extra fun.

i to have been giving this some thought.

first off i think a group could be formed everyone would need to friend up

and save some recorded rounds. when enough people get involved some kind of tourneys

could be worked out and done.

all could be done here through the forums, hopefully PP would give up a forum to run

this through as going to other sites for stuff for this game is total BS.

just throwing some stuff out there. 

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

if i could choose them when setting up a round at OGT, that would be cool. I could pick a playing partner and watch his round playing in a flight with him. That would be cool.

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

been wondering if the friends recorded rounds even works

i have yet to find one round in there. having a hard time figuring why it is so hard for folks to

click an extra box to keep a few rounds on hand to allow friends a little extra fun.

i to have been giving this some thought.

first off i think a group could be formed everyone would need to friend up

and save some recorded rounds. when enough people get involved some kind of tourneys

could be worked out and done.

all could be done here through the forums, hopefully PP would give up a forum to run

this through as going to other sites for stuff for this game is total BS.

just throwing some stuff out there. 

You need to set you steam profile to something other than private for your friends rounds to show up. This is simply a steam friends limitation and not something we can change at our end.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#5 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

i was thinking i may have settings wrong thanks mike

another question i would guess to access a friends recorded round

said friend would also need to be logged in to steam correct?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#6 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

I do see Steam friend's recorded round pop up in the main screen even when they are not logged in.   I have never tried to access or play that recorded round, but I do think they are there for you to view.   Not sure if this helps, but I could always give it a try to confirm. 

#7 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

If I could choose after the round whether I wanted to record it then I'm sure I would record some, but choosing at the start just stresses me out and makes me play badly so I never tick this option.

• Parboy likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#8 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

If I could choose after the round whether I wanted to record it then I'm sure I would record some, but choosing at the start just stresses me out and makes me play badly so I never tick this option.

i had this same thinking , and quit many started rounds.

then i decided to accept the bad with the good.

i play pretty easy settings so it works out.

Klipsch Sound System

#9 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

I do randonmly decide to record a round and don't quit if not going well as they are always Comp rounds.

I have played against a recorded round, quite quick as you play against the recording without the wiating for a shot.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#10 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

No, your friends do not need to be logged into Steam for you to see their recorded rounds. Once they've been recorded they are loaded up to the cloud for access by friends at any time.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#11 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

You need to set you steam profile to something other than private for your friends rounds to show up. This is simply a steam friends limitation and not something we can change at our end.

Hello Mike,

Hope you and the team have been doing well. I do not understand this requirement from the STEAM side of things. I know I've played other games on STEAM using the friends list to either connect and join with a game they are playing or games that use the friends list to create matches. All without having to change your personal privacy settings. I do not recall having to pull up a specific file that might reside locally on someones system.

What I'm wondering is if accessing the recorded round on someones system creates the restriction. At an rate, it might be worth contacting STEAM to see if there is a way around the restriction. Another thought would be that PP might have a record of the round themselves in the server somewhere or offloaded to a database and that could be used so that personal privacy settings do not have to be changed.

If you could find a way to make it work across the board then recorded rounds would become more popular and useful. However, you of course have a larger picture in view and know where you want to allocate your resources. Just some thoughts to make the STEAM experience of the game more fluid and engaging.

Thanks for all your hard work,

SC B)  

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hello Mike,

Hope you and the team have been doing well. I do not understand this requirement from the STEAM side of things. I know I've played other games on STEAM using the friends list to either connect and join with a game they are playing or games that use the friends list to create matches. All without having to change your personal privacy settings. I do not recall having to pull up a specific file that might reside locally on someones system.

What I'm wondering is if accessing the recorded round on someones system creates the restriction. At an rate, it might be worth contacting STEAM to see if there is a way around the restriction. Another thought would be that PP might have a record of the round themselves in the server somewhere or offloaded to a database and that could be used so that personal privacy settings do not have to be changed.

If you could find a way to make it work across the board then recorded rounds would become more popular and useful. However, you of course have a larger picture in view and know where you want to allocate your resources. Just some thoughts to make the STEAM experience of the game more fluid and engaging.

Thanks for all your hard work,

SC B)  

It's a steam API restriction and is a different process than playing against someone live. We can shoot them a request to change their system but I think you might guess as to when we might receive a reply.

You can transfer your recorded rounds however you like as they are saved to your system. If you have friends that want to play against your rounds or vice versa you can always transfer them the file via IM or email. 

• StoneComet likes this

#13 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

It's a steam API restriction and is a different process than playing against someone live. We can shoot them a request to change their system but I think you might guess as to when we might receive a reply.

You can transfer your recorded rounds however you like as they are saved to your system. If you have friends that want to play against your rounds or vice versa you can always transfer them the file via IM or email. 

Thanks for replying. I guess my response would be; it never hurts to ask.  ;)  Some of us have used the IM or email or post our recorded rounds on a third party clouds like MEGA. Ted even ran a league for a bit but it just gets a bit tedious and confusing. Some of us are just odd and refuse to change our personal settings just to access recorded rounds. I'm pretty sure STEAM understands that part even if they refuse to do something about it. Carry on sir and thanks again for the reply.

SC  B)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

I completely agree - This is why I've never recorded a single round.

Either I forget to check that box up front, or the 2 times I did remember, about half way through it was clear it wasn't a round anyone would want a record of anyhow.

I really wish this could be sorted so that you could decide afterwards.

It's sort of like a theme park ride or something - You decide after you get off - "Hey, I'd like to do that again" or "I'd love to have a video of this entire experience", vs saying that before you even take the ride.

#15 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

I almost never play stroke, so I seldom record a round except to test.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#16 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

doing a test i put a recorded round file on onedrive here

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...1XAGKcg0SdGejl_

this link is to a recorded round. could someone please test 

could someone download put in your rec rnd folder and see if

is playable.

thanks

Klipsch Sound System

#17 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

doing a test i put a recorded round file on onedrive here

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...1XAGKcg0SdGejl_

this link is to a recorded round. could someone please test 

could someone download put in your rec rnd folder and see if

is playable.

thanks

Dave, I only had time to play the first 5 holes with your recorded round but no problems on my end.  It worked fine.  

*Spoiler Alert*  Nice shooting!   

#18 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Dave, I only had time to play the first 5 holes with your recorded round but no problems on my end.  It worked fine.  

*Spoiler Alert*  Nice shooting!   

Thanks much

Klipsch Sound System

#19 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

I am a big fan of the recorded rounds option. The big advantage is ofcourse to be able to play at your own favorite time without the hassles of time zones etc. For the last months I play matches in an organised form with friends through e-mail. We have set up a one on one competition in which we play 4 rounds on a particular course. We keep all the scores in a excel file with all the conditions and results being updated after every round. 

I've done this for many years with friends in Links 2003 and before that in Jack Nicklaus 6/GBC. In Links everything could be set up through the LTS-file system in which all conditions were locked. At the end of each round we enclosed our REC en VER(ification) files in e-mail messages. 

In JNPG we do the same thing (no VER file yet). At the moment we can only play a round, record it and send it by e-mail to the other player who can play against it. Right now it is not yet possible to load in / watch 2 recorded rounds simultaneously into the game to watch back 'tv-style', so we send each other our score cards (print screens) when playing a recorded round so that the other player can check the scores. This is a bit awkward as part of the fun is to watch a match back to see how the action really went!

Normally, on a given course, one player starts a solo round with locked conditions and sends it to the other player, who plays against it and sends his recorded round back so the first player, who can then watch the match back. Now we just send a print screen of the score card. Then the second player plays the second round solo (and locked) and sends it to the first player who plays against it. And so on back and forth for four rounds. After four rounds there is a winner. We use handicaps too (although not in-game because it's not recorded).

What we all are waiting for is the completion of the recorded rounds suite (= able to save the handicaps in the REC round, able to load more REC rounds simultaneously, able to save other strokeplay MOP's like stableford) so that we can fully enjoy JNPG through recorded rounds.

When all this is finished the recorded round option will be a great addition to an already great game. Can't wait!

• Arsam, Pappy, Mailman and 1 other like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#20 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

I am a big fan of the recorded rounds option. The big advantage is ofcourse to be able to play at your own favorite time without the hassles of time zones etc. For the last months I play matches in an organised form with friends through e-mail. We have set up a one on one competition in which we play 4 rounds on a particular course. We keep all the scores in a excel file with all the conditions and results being updated after every round. 

I've done this for many years with friends in Links 2003 and before that in Jack Nicklaus 6/GBC. In Links everything could be set up through the LTS-file system in which all conditions were locked. At the end of each round we enclosed our REC en VER(ification) files in e-mail messages. 

In JNPG we do the same thing (no VER file yet). At the moment we can only play a round, record it and send it by e-mail to the other player who can play against it. Right now it is not yet possible to load in / watch 2 recorded rounds simultaneously into the game to watch back 'tv-style', so we send each other our score cards (print screens) when playing a recorded round so that the other player can check the scores. This is a bit awkward as part of the fun is to watch a match back to see how the action really went!

Normally, on a given course, one player starts a solo round with locked conditions and sends it to the other player, who plays against it and sends his recorded round back so the first player, who can then watch the match back. Now we just send a print screen of the score card. Then the second player plays the second round solo (and locked) and sends it to the first player who plays against it. And so on back and forth for four rounds. After four rounds there is a winner. We use handicaps too (although not in-game because it's not recorded).

What we all are waiting for is the completion of the recorded rounds suite (= able to save the handicaps in the REC round, able to load more REC rounds simultaneously, able to save other strokeplay MOP's like stableford) so that we can fully enjoy JNPG through recorded rounds.

When all this is finished the recorded round option will be a great addition to an already great game. Can't wait!

Including  the ability to play matchplay with recorded rounds.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users