✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

you know im always looking to play some match play and skins

seem's 90% of these type matches i run across in MP have gimmies set.

i do not join in as i just don't give up and to me a gimmie is nothing more then that

while playing competitively. how do others feel about this. TBH i think a lot of folks just don't think about it while setting the game till it is up. one reason why i ask in the PG2 thread to leave the default at 0 and let people set them. putting in the game is not easy and when playing alone i will set 1 foot gimmies and i miss some of those when not set, to me anytyhing over a foot is a give up.

really addressing the folks who are not pinched for time and use them for that.

i myself never set an MP with them, and never will.

maybe im just too hard on this, my dad was a hard man in the retail golf business,and a 2 handicapper 

so picking up your ball on the green with him was a no no, just how i was taught.

• GoldenBear likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#2 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

My opinion is this is a video game and 2 foot gimmies are welcome as it speeds up play and would rather have them than not.  Its not the same as real golf and never will be and there you putt everything out but when playing an online match or tournament to me it makes sense as slow play is a killer and when playing with three other people and it can really drag on.  To date this is the best sim of real golf I have ever seen but again its not now or ever will be the real thing.

• Harald and zmax - sim like this

#3 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

always seems to come down to time.

if we start having gimmies in tourneys im done with em.

60 minutes for a 2 man round, 90minutes for 3 man game, i myself only play with 3 people

unless im playing a team match with 4. that is the only way i trim the time, 30 second shot clock would be a big plus to save time.

for you folks who seem to play when you really don't have the time, i want to understand but don't.

people have ask for a real like game, to me no gimmies during competitive is real life.

• GoldenBear likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#4 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

I agree in principle. Gimmies should be standard 0. The 1' and 2' gimmie are okay by me. Depending on the type of greens and stimp. I find the 1' the most used speaking for myself. It's a pity the real gimmie option is not available in the game. By that I mean the given gimmie or 'pick up' offered by the other side. In matchplay it's an important courtesy in the game. Why it's not there I dont understand. Hopefully the 'concede' button will function properly with the new update. That is a big disturbance gameplay wise. Some players who have not played matchplay tend to use that button not knowing that it can screw up the score big time. A shorter shot clock i'm no fan of. I understand where it's coming from but 30 sec. can be a bit rich on tough courses a/o conditions. Best leave that one alone. My 2C.

• Arsam likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#5 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

I don't know .... i cannot remember me missing a putt under 3 feet in the game. So for me gimmies at least from 2 feet in are not a big issue - because they very rarely are missed in the game (it's simply easier to make them as in real life).

In this case speed of play gets the upperhand in my book.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#6 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

done turned to speed,

well i guess im a speed player while playing solo a round takes me 15/20 minutes tops

the speed thing i could see TP using the 60second clock for having to zoom out for the drive

the main reason why i play pro so i can use the overhead to aim to save time, as TBH i see no difference in the penalty 

i score the same in both just takes longer. i think more of the time issue in MP is all about that stupid chat window, one reason to use voice chat. as for the gimmies i guess im just not as good of a putter as others as i have missed even at a foot and not ashamed to admit it. i would almost bet whenever the bug that allows TP players to zoom out  and aim is fixed we will see a bunch of folks downgrading to Pro

Klipsch Sound System

#7 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

My opinion is this is a video game and 2 foot gimmies are welcome as it speeds up play and would rather have them than not.  Its not the same as real golf and never will be and there you putt everything out but when playing an online match or tournament to me it makes sense as slow play is a killer and when playing with three other people and it can really drag on.  To date this is the best sim of real golf I have ever seen but again its not now or ever will be the real thing.

I will say this again for those who may have missed it in past posts on this subject.  If two foot gimmes speed up the game, then who you play with must be horribly slow.  People must be extremely cramped for time or inpatient if a 5 second putt is speeding up the game.

#8 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

I set gimmies at 2ft not to speed up the game as like most of my online opponents dont miss from 2ft. I have missed from 3-4 ft thats the only reason i set 2 ft gimmies

#9 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

ok figured it out, i still don't believe i will be using them in comps

but as to not force people to play without im going to set 1 foot and leave the auto button unchecked

so i myself can putt out on fun rounds.

Klipsch Sound System

#10 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

I Usually set 2 foot gimmies for speed( let me tell you when you play 3 or 4 two person team match play or stroke you want it to be quick) and because I do not want to win a hole because some ones meter glitches...

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users