Anyone played it yet?

#2 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:31 PM

Is this a first person or 3rd person game? I can’t handle FPS games like COD.

#3 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

You can either play 1st person or have the camera behind like 3rd person, but I wouldn't call it COD like, much more depth to it, stunning world to trot around in. Only got 5hrs in, but lovely slower pace than a lot of games with plenty to do, it's going to eat into JNPG time that's for sure!

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Yea it's definitely not in the FPS genre. More in the open world exploration genre but along with a good storyline, it's pretty compelling.

• MERACE likes this

#5 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

Have about 4 hours played so far. Nothing but positive for me. On top of the story mode you can hunt, fish, trap, rob, go bounty hunting and more. My goal for tonight it to teach myself how to lasso people off their horses while I’m on my horse. Should be fun. I feel as though I didn’t pay enough for this game as I’m definitely going to get my money’s worth out of it. Would love to see MP in the future.

What I can’t understand is why the graphics run so smooth for being an open world game with plenty of trees, weeds, and whatnot blowing in the wind on top of the weather effects with hardly and stutter. Why does PG and TGC lag so bad on certain holes? Is it Unity that’s the problem? Anyway. The game is a definite buy.
  • MERACE and Affo like this

#6 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:30 PM

Cool. Gonna have to give this a try.

#7 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

Have about 4 hours played so far. Nothing but positive for me. On top of the story mode you can hunt, fish, trap, rob, go bounty hunting and more. My goal for tonight it to teach myself how to lasso people off their horses while I’m on my horse. Should be fun. I feel as though I didn’t pay enough for this game as I’m definitely going to get my money’s worth out of it. Would love to see MP in the future.
What I can’t understand is why the graphics run so smooth for being an open world game with plenty of trees, weeds, and whatnot blowing in the wind on top of the weather effects with hardly and stutter. Why does PG and TGC lag so bad on certain holes? Is it Unity that’s the problem? Anyway. The game is a definite buy.

I fully echo what you have stated about your experience with the game. I’m having the most fun with this game than I’ve ever had with any other video game.

The reason it runs incredibly smooth in 4K with HDR is due to Rockstar’s proprietary graphics engine (RAGE). Unfortunately, PG and TGC are both using the inferior “poor mans” Unity graphics engine. ;)

-MERACE

#8 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:08 AM

A damn cotton pickin' shame its not on PC that's for sure.  I did spend about 30 mins on my step son's xbox trying it out, all i can say is WOW! the attention to detail is incredible.  The vistas are spectacular, the sounds are great and the list of little things that make you smile in appreciation is endless it seems.  From gun maintenance to horse grooming, the little things are covered and done so well. RDR is the ultimate triple A game that is worth every penny ( unlike some golf game i could mention ) ;)

There is one thing that kinda spoils it for me and that's playing it with a controller,  we really need some kind of innovation where controllers are concerned.  Playing it with an Xbone controller was clunky and annoying, just trying to position yourself in the right place to pick something up or perform a task slightly detracts from what is a hugely immersive experience.  Gun play is also damn impossible unless you have auto aim on, and just trying to change weapon involved pressing about 3 buttons to do it.  The only plus with the controller is the ability to spam the trigger to unload a six shooter, that is so damn satisfying  :)

Overall RDR2 is the new benchmark in gaming, its easy to see why they waited so long to bring out the sequel, nothing it seems is left to chance.  30 mins i spent playing this and it left me seriously considering buying a console just to play this astonishing game... It's a rootin tootin' masterpiece...Now i'm off to the store to get some gingham for the wife... don't even know what gingham is  :P  but who cares...saddle up!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#9 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

I spent several hours watching my son playing this on PS4 last night, looks great and fun to play.

But like Doggs I also have a hard time with the controllers, I have tried a few other PS4 games like Fallout, Hunter and ProjectCars. But it always ends up with me giving up in frustration as soon as I need to be quick. Probably an age issue but I don´t have any problems handling these situations with a mouse or a steering wheel.

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

It's not hard to understand really - You're playing on a console so it's a lot easier to customise shaders objects and textures as the hardware is a known quantity. Also the development budget for the game was probably at least 100 times more than PG and TGC combined.

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

30 mins i spent playing this and it left me seriously considering buying a console just to play this astonishing game... It's a rootin tootin' masterpiece...

I'm playing on a PS4 pro and it looks amazing but I believe it looks even better on a Xbox One X. If you do decide to get a console I would highly recommend you get one or the other upgraded consoles and not the originals. They are not powerful enough now to get the best out of the current gen games.

I basically bought my console just to play one game which was Grand Turismo Sport and I didn't regret it as it's an amazing game. I'm extremely pleased I now have two great games to play on it though  :)

• Greensboronclion likes this

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Just waiting on mine as I've plumped for the physical DVD version and not digitally downloading.

I've seen some great clips from in the game. Seems it has so much depth.

Saw one clip where the player character intended to pat his horse and he accidentally punched it. The horse then kicked the player in retaliation and sent him flying. Absolute class.

Another where the player came across a stranger at the side of the river. Stranger complained he was in his space. A fist fight ensued, stranger got knocked out cold and player picked him up and dropped him in the river to float away. Loved it.

Cant way to start playing.

While buying RDR2 also bought Dark Souls III and Witcher III as a double pack release for £22.

#13 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

I shouldn't have read this site. I've been watching that game with a great interest but tried to resist the temptation.

Now it's clear that I have to buy Xbox One X bundle with RDR 2 and COD Black Ops 4. And then I need a 4K projector because 1080 is just last week or last millenium. How can I explain this to my wife?

• cajuncapgun and MERACE like this

#14 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:23 PM

Saw one clip where the player character intended to pat his horse and he accidentally punched it. The horse then kicked the player in retaliation and sent him flying. Absolute class..

I did the EXACT same thing but fortunately I survived the kick. 😊

The controls do take some time getting comfortable with. Rockstar games are really not considered “shooter” games like COD and Battlefield so you have to consider that going in to the game. Thank God for the Dead Eye feature.

Another good game design is you can replay failed checkpoints or even skip past them avoiding being stalled in the game. You can also go back later and redo the missions and try to successfully complete sub objectives to be awarded bronze, silver and gold badges.

I can’t wait to see how Rockstar has expanded the online mode that was in the original RDR. If it’s anything close to what is currently in GTA V we are in for a real treat. 😎

-MERACE

#15 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

I'm playing on a PS4 pro and it looks amazing but I believe it looks even better on a Xbox One X. If you do decide to get a console I would highly recommend you get one or the other upgraded consoles and not the originals. They are not powerful enough now to get the best out of the current gen games.

I basically bought my console just to play one game which was Grand Turismo Sport and I didn't regret it as it's an amazing game. I'm extremely pleased I now have two great games to play on it though  :)

I prob would be looking at a PS4 yes, prob not the pro as i cannot justify the extra expense.  GT sport appeals to me, i  just like the way the game is setup with penalties etc.  I bought Forza 7 last week for windows 10 and its a massive disappointment, especially online...i have yet to find one session where fair minded people are racing,  its just a mess of people who have no idea about racing lines or smooth is fast etc etc, just a total punt fest.  You get the clueless idiots in every racing game but Forza is where they breed and spawn from i'm sure.  You also have off roaders racing championships on tarmac, all seems a bit silly and needless.  GT racing is where its at right now, its the most popular format in PC2 and Assetto.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

If you are in the US at this point you should definitely think about waiting until the Black Friday sales on consoles.

#17 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

RDR2 to PC?  maybe its in the pipe line after all....hope so!

A companion app that launched alongside Red Dead Redemption 2 apparently suggests that a PC version is in the works. As uncovered by Rockstar Intel, parameters in the app seemingly point towards PC graphics options, like anisotropic quality levels, TXAA, particle shadow quality, particle lighting quality, motion blur strength, grass quality, reflections, shadow distance and more. The most telling, though, is this line: 'CommandIsPcVersion(void)    000000000166A12C'. 

• worrybirdie and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

I think when it comes to a console purchase, some of decision making depends on the exclusives and which take your fancy. I've always been a Gran Turismo fan ever since the previews in the build up to its release in 1997, so it was always Playstation for me.

Reason I got a PSX in 1998 was because it was bundled with Gran Turismo. Had each generation console as they came out. Still have the PS3 in conservatory, PS4 in my room and somewhere is lurking my PS VITA handheld.

#19 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

Had my eye on this one too! I'm waiting (hoping for) the PC version, as I have no desire to buy a console (or to play it on a controller).

• Perculator likes this

#20 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

Also the development budget for the game was probably at least 100 times more than PG and TGC combined.

Yep. 

Check out the sales so far:

https://www.business... Insider Select

-MERACE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users