• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jfbhd4

jfbhd4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

I am looking to start my home course, Boone Valley Golf Club. Private Pete Dye design outside of St. Louis. #1 course in MO.

1319 Schluersburg Rd, Augusta, MO 63332

Having a whale of a time trying to get the LIDAR data into Unity. Have been unable to find a tutorial video...

Can anyone point me in the right direction and/or be willing to get the file in shape so I can just download it in Unity and get cracking? Would be willing to pay for this service.

Really excited to get this released, but Lidar killing me!

Thanks in advance

#2 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

I couldn't find any Lidar Point cloud available on USGS website. But I did come across some DEM. I'll have the unity packet for you shortly.

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#3 jfbhd4

jfbhd4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Thanks a million!

Looking forward to starting this new hobby.

#4 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

I sent you the course in a PM. Have fun building

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#5 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:54 AM

I took a look and found 1.4 meter lidar but it's in .gpkg format if anybody knows how to convert it. 

#6 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:36 AM

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and course forge.  I am trying to model my home course, but having a heck a time working with heightmaps, RAW files, DEM, Lidar, global mapper, etc. etc. I've seen people talk about VTBuilder, terraincomposer, terraland, and others...I just want to model my course, but I'm finding myself spending weeks just trying to generate terrain.  Could someone recommend a path forward?  

If this is the wrong forum to bring this up I apologize.

Joe

#7 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:03 AM

Joe H. has a pretty good tutorial on how he does it.  It is quite a steep learning curve but it can get you oriented.

http://www.perfectpa...ow-i-use-lidar/

#8 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

Keep it simple.  The RAW file is your height map.  A DEM is derived from lidar but generally with lidar you get point cloud files.  If you have access to Global Mapper, you don't need any of those other apps, at least to start with.

You can also ask us to make a height map for you if you just want to get started on the course.

• RobC likes this

#9 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:32 AM

Are there other options besides global mapper that can generate the terrain? I am not quite ready to make the investment as a beginner to CF. 

My home course is Dupont Country Club in Wilmington DE.  We have(had) three courses.  I would love to be able to do all three courses.  Right now I have all the line work completed for the DuPont course, but from what I am reading it looks like I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to line up terrain at this point.

As a side note I noticed someone posted terrain for fox chapel in Pittsburg PA.  I have played there a few times and plan on modeling this one as practice.  I can share if anyone is interested...would love some feedback on how I did.

joe

#10 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:00 AM

There may be other options but when lidar is available (and it looks like there is some for Dupont) I'd just get someone who has access to GM to do it for you.

When you say you've done line work what does that mean?

#11 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:26 AM

I took an image from google earth and traced over all the fairways, greens, bunkers, etc.  I refer to it as line work because I'm drawing lines over all the parts of the course. 

How do you find someone with GM?  I'm new to this forum and didn't know that was an option.  I am more than willing to pay someone for the terrain and overlay image of the site.

#12 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:59 AM

It appears there are three courses at DUpont Country Club. Which one do you want, or all three?

#13 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:19 AM

Currently I am working on the Dupont course, but if I could get all three I wouldn't bug you again. The other two are the Nemours and Montchanin course.

#14 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Are there other options besides global mapper that can generate the terrain? I am not quite ready to make the investment as a beginner to CF. 

My home course is Dupont Country Club in Wilmington DE.  We have(had) three courses.  I would love to be able to do all three courses.  Right now I have all the line work completed for the DuPont course, but from what I am reading it looks like I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to line up terrain at this point.

As a side note I noticed someone posted terrain for fox chapel in Pittsburg PA.  I have played there a few times and plan on modeling this one as practice.  I can share if anyone is interested...would love some feedback on how I did.

joe

I took an image from google earth and traced over all the fairways, greens, bunkers, etc.  I refer to it as line work because I'm drawing lines over all the parts of the course. 

How do you find someone with GM?  I'm new to this forum and didn't know that was an option.  I am more than willing to pay someone for the terrain and overlay image of the site.

Google Earth's overlay will not line up with any lidar data. You must have overlay image with data files so that GM can allign the overlay image with the lidar data. Google Earth doesn't give you the data files for alligning it in GM. Watch Joe H's tutorials. SAS Planet is a good free ware for getting the overlay image.

#15 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Here are the lidar packages for the DUpont courses. You will have to start over drawing your splines, etc.

https://www.dropbox....itypackage?dl=0

Here's a video on getting started with a lidar package:

http://youtu.be/bZ6hBHKagR8

• Unique likes this

#16 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:24 AM

Thank you so much.  This is amazing. You saved me hours of frustration.  

Unfortunately, I will have to do all the splines again, but I feel like I'm closer to end being back at the beginning with proper terrain.

I can't thank you enough for this!

Thank you Larry! you should see the smile on my face right now!

Is it typical people request terrain data for courses on this forum?

#17 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:40 AM

Yes, it is a place to request lidar heightmaps. Justin, jt83 and I keep an eye out for requests, and one of us will get them if at all possible.

The lidar was very good hi-res, so the terrain should be very true to the actual courses.

#18 jmd1235

jmd1235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:50 AM

I can tell you, being a member at DuPont,  it is absolutely spot on!  They are blowing up our montchanin course to put in tennis courts and a higher end driving range so this will be nice to keep it memory.

I can't thank you enough

#19 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:58 AM

Keep us posted on your progress

#20 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

Is there a list of available lidar or are they produced only when someone makes a specific request ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users